Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2007, 12:11 PM   #21
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
It's amazing, Jack. My 34 was $67,700 new and loaded with about $10k in options in 1994...
well you fellas are mixing up models a bit here...

johnhd is refering to a double axle excella. not a 34.

the closest current model, a 30/31 classic is not 100k.

so using roger's reference price for a 34 in 94 would be more in line with the '100k' unit.

and that is a SLIDE unit. the same 34 without slide is under 90k....before discount.

as reference my 05/34 with ltd. upgrade was msrp in mid 80s and purchased in mid 60s....

wider, skylights, disc brakes, greater carry capacity and so on...

so roger's 94 at 67K to my 05 the price increase is close to cpi/inflation. of course he DID get 2 doors!

keep in mind the 100k unit has a slide. these add 11-14K$ to the price....an expensive extra few square feet.

a 30 with slide and a 34 without slide are about the same list price.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
For those in the market for a new coach price increases are difficult to swallow. But if you are a current owner there are some plus's. The used trailer market will follow in proportion $$$ price wise. Even though trailers depreciate, the cost of new will continue to support the higher used prices. If you're looking to buy new there is little need to put off buying. With interest rates such as they are, compared to the ever increasing cost, the increase in prices over the period of time one normally finances, would be greater than the interest paid if financed. Thus little advantage to waiting until you can pay cash. Add to that even further , financing done through a dealer gives them a little more profit margine to work with and in some cases can get you an even better deal. When will this all stop, who knows, One thing for sure as long as there is a back order for the product there is little incentive to reduce pricing------- pieman
as a PS the dealer we've done busness with has a 34' slide for $108,000
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:36 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Beaver Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
if I sold my house, etc, I doubt I would place 1/2 it's value into a thing that would loose it's value....I would most likely buy that unit 2-3 years from now when it's worth a good sum, but far less.
I don’t think it’s really an apples to apples comparison, that is, comparing real estate property to personal property. BUT, your point about waiting to buy a unit that is 2-3 years old is a really good one! If A/S has indeed saturated the market for their "high priced" units, then it's likely we who purchased new (0-10 years) will see a less steep deprecation curve and/or a significant increase of the appreciation rate (using John hd's '92 Excella as an example) of their older A/S TT. Just my opinion.
WhiteyFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:01 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Save Money? Full Time!

In my area, year round lots in a nice campground go for $4500 per year. (I pay a lot less than that, but have to move around a bit.) My heat pump actually works pretty well, but I've had to go to furnace quite a bit when the temp gets below 32 degrees so propane costs for the winter will likely be $150. No additional electric, sewer, water, garbage collection charges mean that I'm maxing out my Roth IRA every year and looking frantically for tax free investments in preparation for retirement.

See you CAN afford that $100K Airstream!

REALITY CHECK: Full-timing isn't for people with small or large children. They need stable schools and a village of friends and neighbors... but for empty nesters or cuckoos (I let my sister have and raise the children!) full-timing can be money SAVING.

I think what's really happening is that many of the old hippies, etc. have totally sold out and bought into the "keeping up with the Jones'es" mentality. Really, the expensive mohos are totally status symbols - as are all of the 5 bedroom "executive" houses being built... And have you looked at our cars lately? I'm expecting my next one to come with electric nose pickers! Ours has turned into a new Gilded Age with as much ostentation and vulgar display as the Victorians ever managed, and then some.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:05 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Hi All...not sure the current prices of the 30'-34' Classic Limiteds will promote continuing unit sales growth...there always will be some buyers...but not many new AS buyers at that price.

As a wanabee that will pay cash when I buy...I can afford $100K but likely will not...for three primary reasons...

1) quality appears to be about the same as the "higher level" SOBs in the market...ya I know...the bland white boxes!...but many of the components are the same or comparable. ie axles, electronics, appliances, tires, wheels, etc.

2) storeage and space is at a premium in the ASs (creates liveabilty)...unless at 30'-34'...wife didn't really like any of the RVs we looked at until she shopped a couple of "higher" level 5th wheels...lots of storeage and space.

3) price...while I love the nostalgia and the AS community...the premium that Thor is now getting is IMHO excessive. Seems like a 25%+ brand premium might be reasonable...but have you looked at some of the other "higher level" SOB give you for a net $$$$s around $40-$50K? Example...not unique...say a 35' Sunnybrook Titan 5er with nearly all the upgrade options...lists for about $50K+ but nets in the low to mid $40K area.

Yes, I do know that they will not be restored 25 years from now...but that is not what most buy them for. All will depreciate...and I would guess a 30'-34' AS will depreciate more in 5 years than will a $40K Sunnybrook...even though the AS will still be very expensive sold as used in five years. BTW...I AM NOT selling Sunnybrook...just an example...there are many other medium to higher quality TTs and 5ers that have quality interiors and quality components...and I am confident are at least as well put together as a new AS.

Summary...not an issue if AS was content being a "niche" low volume brand...but I think the current pricing philosophy will present issues as Thor tries to get more volume from their premium brand holding...I came upon two AS dealers that have stopped stocking the Classic Limited and will concentrate on the Safari...due to the price of the Classic.

IMO AS price premium has grown significantly in the last 5-10 years without a corresponding significant increase in features, benefits and quality...vs...the SOBs...such as SB Titan, Arctic Fox, Excel, New Horizon, etc.

Just FWIW .

Many of you have made great purchases of very nice ASs over the last few years...with the big price increases AS has helped support your used values...not sure that will work over the next 5-10 years?

Please read...my opinions only...I don't count for much...but add your thoughts without the need to "beat me up" for my observations...Tom R
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR
Please read...my opinions only...I don't count for much...but add your thoughts without the need to "beat me up" for my observations...Tom R
Not at all Tom! I have watched you in your quest. It has been most thorough and yet you keep coming back here.

Regarding amount of storage space, nothing beats actually getting out there and using an RV before you know what you really need. Sorry, I don't want to bring home and all contingencies with me. Each trip will have a focus -- whether that would be rally, visiting, roaming, fishing, kids, or whatever. Now, what do I have to do to be "there." Eat and sleep. Any gear particular to the purpose? Fine, bring that. But I don't need a miniature home on the road. Wanna see my shop ...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
You mention dealers not stocking high end models. I wonder if that is smart.
My brother sells and builds log homes. He has always built and/or lived in a large, expensive model(Once he built the business to the point he could afford it). What people see they want. This has proved out over and over in sales. Those dealers with a lower end model home, tend to sell lower end log homes and viceversa. FWIW...
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:37 PM   #28
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Back in the good old daze...

When I was just barely past a teenager, and working for a car dealership, we had what we called "showroom queens". These were the most expensive, fanciest, option-laden cars possible to buy. Customers would look at them, drool, see the price sticker, and wind up buying a model with less options, or without that newfangled air conditioning . The queen was great to get people in the door and looking, but we usually still had that car at the end of the model year, and had to discount it pretty heavily to sell it.
The opposite seems true today, dealers put the cheapest cars on display, and the customers add options because they don't want a tin can on wheels. I wonder if it has to do with salesmanship, taxes on inventory, or just a different business model.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:50 PM   #29
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i do not think inflation is the only factor, face it airstreams are for a niche market. the same as harley davidsons.

oddly enough the marketing angle seems to be the same. airstream was quoted about two years ago as using harley and their recovery as a business model.

the cost of labor and health care is another factor.

john
Old 02-19-2007, 04:04 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Beaver Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
What people see they want. This has proved out over and over in sales.

We recently ordered a new A/S and expect to take delivery this April. DW and I have been looking at many, many, many MH, 5ers, and TT over the past 5 years in anticipation for our escape to RV land and the wonders it holds. We will not be full timers, but that expectation might change with some on the road exposure to the RV life. Anyway, we made the decision to become A/S owners 2 years ago and have only "fine tuned" the product decision since then.
Our decision to select A/S boils down to what the previous posters have already said: be clear what your needs are, consider your wants against your budget, take into account the estimated time you expect to keep your RV and estimate your approx. resale amount, and other words of wisdom I don't recall offhand. Then comes the trickiest consideration of all, follow your heart! Buy what you really want and don't compromise. If that's SOB brand, then good for you.
For DW and I the best value is Airstream.
Good luck on your journey and hope to see you streamin.

Neil
Old 02-19-2007, 04:08 PM   #31
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
so, what did you order? gotta love that new trailer day! be sure to ask lots of questions when you are ready to get it!

john
Old 02-19-2007, 04:28 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Beaver Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
so, what did you order? gotta love that new trailer day! be sure to ask lots of questions when you are ready to get it!

john
John, in Our Community, scroll down to the thread or go to http://www.airforums.com/forum...ded-29966.html
Old 02-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #33
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
neil

you will like that size, mine is a 29 very easy to tow.

john
Old 02-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Hi Jack:

The $100k is the MSRP. These units should go for about $80k. Still not cheap.

I attended the RV show at Rosemont this past weekend. For 72k you can get an extremely nice Mobile Suites 5th wheel (38 foot). Very tempting.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:58 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I think the fairest way to measure these prices is to look at it as a percentage of the average man's wages.

So if Joe Sixpack made $30K in 1990 and his 34 footer cost $40K, that's 1.33 times his average wage. And if Joe now makes $50K and the 34 footer costs 100K, then it's 2.0 his wage. It's more expensive then in real dollars.

To me, no travel trailer is worth $100K. Especially one as small as an Airstream. Even the 34's are small compared to a 5er. As others have mentioned, $75K will get you a swank 5er that is a monster and you need the Son of Kenworth to pull it.

And no offense to anybody with a new one, but I personally like the looks of the older trailers better. Even though they lack even the room of the newer ones, the trailers of the 50's and 60's really have a nice look to them. The narrower bodies just looked more svelt.

But you don't buy an Airstream for room. You buy it for other reasons, just as John said above. Like a Harley. Harley builds some cool bikes, but you can get one from a Japanese brand that will run just as good for a lot less. But it's not a Harley. A Vulcan just does not have the cool that a Fat Boy does.

Yeah, I'm one of those guys. I like the VRSC line a lot!
(that's the 4-valve liquid cooled Harley for you non-bikers....)

Mine was $2500, which was probably too much After I put $10K more into it, it'll be really swank though
Old 02-19-2007, 05:03 PM   #36
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
(that's the 4-valve liquid cooled Harley for you non-bikers....)
yeah but nothing sez cool like a 1955 FL in stock trim! (check the avatar)

the restored one year only speedometer cost more than half of what the bike cost new! (the bike was $1015.00 in '55) plug that one into your inflato meters!

john
Old 02-19-2007, 05:08 PM   #37
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
almost forgot, the standard for the cost of a new harley has always been the cost of a 4 door family sedan.

the same holds true today.

john
Old 02-19-2007, 05:33 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
That is a cool bike John!

My buddy has two Harley's; one old and one new. The old one is a panhead (I believe...) that looks kind of like your's, but it's not that old. I think it's a late 60's early 70's model. Then, he just got a new one that is styled to look like the old ones. It's a springer with a black front end. Very long and low looking, like your's. I'm not sure of the model. Heritage springer maybe? It's not a chopper looking bike like the DynaGlides.

I can't afford one now. I ride a Kawi

I test ride a Street Rod though. I really liked it. Mike (my buddy with the pari above) isn't big on the VRSC's at all. Most of the guys I know don't like them. But I thought it was a nice bike. I'd happily take a Vrod.

OK back on topic: Airstreams have always cost more than a 4-door sedan
Old 02-19-2007, 06:12 PM   #39
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
jim

kawi's are cool too! that's what i had before i lost my mind and got into harleys.

your guess on your buddies bike could be correct, generator style panheads were produced until 1965. those look alot like mine. a heritage softail is designed after the 50's bikes from a distance they are hard to tell apart.

the vrods are cool too, not my cup of tea at the moment. perhaps after the rubs get done with them they will be an afforadble alterative for a project bike!

john
Old 02-19-2007, 06:13 PM   #40
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
but way back on topic, airstreams could always be hauled by a 4 door sedan!

what did we do before 300 horsepower pickups?

john