Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2010, 07:52 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Right by Discovery Bay and Byron, CA is a boat launch called Orwood Resort (resort is a REAL stretch) that actually has bleachers set up facing the boat launch. The locals love to sit on the bleachers on a Saturday morning and watch the newbys try to launch their boats, but nothing compares with Saturday night, when all of the drunk, sunburned and tired boaters try to reload their boats on their trailers. I've seen a lone boater pull up to the dock and jump up onto it and run for the bathroom, while his still-running boat went in circles around the marina, hitting everything in sight. I saw a new Escalade chase a trailer backwards into the marina (they float, until you open the door). Many, many cars and trucks have followed their trailers into that boat launch, from people hitting the gas instead of the brake, or just not setting the parking brake well enough(or at all). You would think it had a special curse on it, but it seems a lot of boat ramps are somewhat infamous.
And Gene, the draw for me is that it's live, spontaneous entertainment put on by amatuers, without even trying. There's no possible way that the stunts performed at boat launches around the country are orchestrated in any way, but I always wonder about "reality TV".
IMHO, boat launch watching is a great way to spend part of a Saturday. Try it sometime. It goes really good with beer.

Rich the Viking

P.S. any one tried Rogue Dead Guy from Oregon Brewing Co? AWESOME!

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #42
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Yep, you've got it Rich. And wow, bleachers!? Man, we never had that.

I've seen a lot, too. A young macho kinda guy that wanted to impress the crowd slams his boat up and onto his trailer by gunning it to the max, then he and his buddy do a really fast clean-up and toss stuff into the pickup and burn rubber to impress us all as they take off.

What happened next was the sound of that unholy "crunching" sound that metal and fibreglass make when they encounter concrete at a relatively high speed, followed immediately by the two "pros" screaming at each other at the top of their lungs, each intent on shifting all blame on the other for (are you ready?) NOT doing up the straps that secure the boat to the trailer.

A bunch of us helped them manhandle the boat onto the trailer, but there was gonna have to be lots of $$$ spent on that motor and keel before they got a chance to try that stunt again...

Another Sunday evening's entertainment.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:13 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Yep, you've got it Rich. And wow, bleachers!? Man, we never had that.

I think having twenty or thirty people staring at the boat ramp like it was a TV may have contributed to the situation being as funny as it was. I can imagine how nervous some of those poor boaters were!

Hahahahahahahaha! What fun!
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Port Huron , Michigan
SO Funny

I have done dumb things like this.But not quite to this level VEry very funny!!!!! LOL
mi silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #45
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Boat launch activities are something I never knew about. And I thought watching people back up their trailers was entertaining (I have provided my share of entertainment).

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #46
1 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
that is only funny when it happens to some one else, but what makes it so hilarious is the way you told it! Thanks Janet.
LydiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #47
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
This is Tooooo Funnnyyyy!

I haven't been able to stay up with the forums recently so I'm just now seeing this thread. Janet, this is really funny. I'm sure if I was in the middle of the situation I wouldn't think it very funny at all. But you did a great job recreating the scene.

Wow.... just that scene could be made into a movie. Just think of all the sub-plots - sunburned boaters, other RVers... all coming together at that point in time.

Great job! This is one I'll remember for a long time.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I never wanted to post here...Dumb things I've done.

Well, it was 75 degrees today....after a blizzard last week...Texas weather. So I figured I would check all the systems out to see if there was any damage to the water lines from the freeze....Cloud was in the barn so I figured the check would be OK. I parked it right outside the door to the barn...1st dumb thing.
Hooked up the water and turned it on. Peaked inside for leaks...looked OK so I climbed in and opened all the faucets to get a check there....Turned on the Marvel fridge and lit the burners on the stove. All the time the water was flowing into the sinks and the toilet flushed several times. 2nd dumb thing. The water built up in the grey tank and flooded the shower floor. So...outside and pulled the cap on the gray tank drain . That worked but the area was now flooded. I could now see a huge amount of water shooting from the front of the trailer....I had the tank fill valve left open and the water had been filling to overflow the fresh tank. Dumb #3. This blew the hose connection to the filler to the tank and water was also shooting all over inside. I opened the tank drain and shut off the water supply. Damage was done.So after the clean up and the heat/fans were in place I decided to close up things....but, wait while I was in the back...why not check the black dump valve...? I had flushed several times and the trailer had never been used since I got it off the roof in Hollywood.Well the valve worked fine....it is amazing how that "stuff" in a black tank can reconstitute with an amount of water.....Dumb #4. I was not expecting anything to come out...especially what did. Yep, I got a full shot of it and it all was right there at the door to the barn.Dumb, dumb, dumb.
All the systems checked out O.K.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You poor thing.

Maggie
Old 02-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
You poor thing.

Maggie
Ditto here, Susan
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Nope - it really happened. Here's the dump station (which is free btw...)
I think it is my favorite regional dump station.

I really like the Hood River one too.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
LMAO ! If I was a tad closer I would have made the drive to see that.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Nope - it really happened. Here's the dump station (which is free btw...)
Yeah, right... That and $1.45 will get you a large latte and an apple fritter.

[what universe did I get waylaid in? Dangling prepositions are only a prol'lem when you're commando... TMI ALERT! TMI ALERT!![]

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #54
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Retraining

As well you know, that is why there were continuous trainings/ refresh sessions throughout your career. As we get older the chance to refresh our techniques is even more important. My guess is you will not do that again for a few years.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Well, it was 75 degrees today....after a blizzard last week...Texas weather. So I figured I would check all the systems out to see if there was any damage to the water lines from the freeze....Cloud was in the barn so I figured the check would be OK. I parked it right outside the door to the barn...1st dumb thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Hooked up the water and turned it on. Peaked inside for leaks...looked OK so I climbed in and opened all the faucets to get a check there....Turned on the Marvel fridge and lit the burners on the stove. All the time the water was flowing into the sinks and the toilet flushed several times. 2nd dumb thing. The water built up in the grey tank and flooded the shower floor. So...outside and pulled the cap on the gray tank drain . That worked but the area was now flooded. I could now see a huge amount of water shooting from the front of the trailer....I had the tank fill valve left open and the water had been filling to overflow the fresh tank. Dumb #3. This blew the hose connection to the filler to the tank and water was also shooting all over inside. I opened the tank drain and shut off the water supply. Damage was done.So after the clean up and the heat/fans were in place I decided to close up things....but, wait while I was in the back...why not check the black dump valve...? I had flushed several times and the trailer had never been used since I got it off the roof in Hollywood.Well the valve worked fine....it is amazing how that "stuff" in a black tank can reconstitute with an amount of water.....Dumb #4. I was not expecting anything to come out...especially what did. Yep, I got a full shot of it and it all was right there at the door to the barn.Dumb, dumb, dumb.
All the systems checked out O.K.

masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #55
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Melody, glad to hear all the systems were fine (at least before you tested them).

No matter how many times I backflush the black tank at the end of the season, I have discovered when I open it at home for some reason (usually indicating derangement on my part) more comes out. I have learned to have a bucket under the valve. Learning that type of lesson is based on previous derangement.

There are also the times (yes, it's plural) when I am sure I have the hose on the tank outlet connected properly but don't. Before I got permanently connected ends to the hoses, it happened more frequently when I thought I had the ends screwed on properly, but didn't. When the water leaks out, I close the valve as fast as I can and then look around to see if anyone was watching. The pool of water (I hope it's only water) on the ground is evidence and I hope it will be absorbed or evaporate quickly. It's a reminder that the ground underneath sewer connections at campgrounds and dump stations is not something you want to sit on or touch with your bare hands (not only may I have been there, but I doubt I am alone with these errors).

No one is immune from moments of irrationality and mistakes.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Gerlach , Nevada
Send a message via Yahoo to Tazameir Send a message via Skype™ to Tazameir
That's awesome.. Made my day reading it.. One way to look at it.. At least their blank tank is pretty damn clean now!!!

C.
Tazameir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #57
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
WOW that sucked

funny though
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Kansas City , Missouri
Without a doubt, the funniest story I have ever read.
Peggy Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:57 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Burnsville , North Carolina
OMGoodness! Do I have permission to publish this in our local fishwrapper, I mean newspaper.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #60
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by constructor View Post
OMGoodness! Do I have permission to publish this in our local fishwrapper, I mean newspaper.
Sure - you can do that, please just mention AIR

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote