Old 10-20-2003, 11:48 AM   #1
Little Radio

1966 28' Ambassador
Chicago , Illinois
Thumbs up '04 30' Safari Bunk

Ok... I've finally struck a deal with my wife that will allow me to purchase an Airstream!

I'll spare you the details of our agreement, except that I nearly had to sign it in my own blood!

Anyway, my heart is set on the new 30' Safari Bunk, and I have a couple of questions:

a) I'm going to custom-order it from Jackson Center, considering that these units won't ship until the middle of 2Q04 at the earliest... how much money down is reasonably fair for a dealer to take my order. I don't like the idea of someone sitting on $5,000 (ie: 10% of MSRP) for more than 6 months... especially since if the dealer goes out of business, I lose all my money. Any suggestions out there? Can I order direct from Airstream?

b) Is it possible to have AS build the front of this unit with a fold-out sofa bed instead of the queen or twin bed option? I want a "front living room" instead of a bedroom.

c) Considering that at more than $50,000 this unit is already busting my piggybank... and I don't want to make it any more expensive... what options do you consider "must haves??"

Thanks!

Tony

Old 10-20-2003, 12:24 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd call Airstream about the custom couch...My guess is either they will say no or they will charge an arm or a leg.

Since the option specs are not "officially" out, I am going to assume that it takes the same upgrades as the standard Safari.

In which case the Safari upgrade package is a real winner. Also, I would strongly suggest going with a 15k BTU A/C unit. It does not show up on the other Safaris, but Airstream said OK to it on my six sleeper I put on order. Given it's a 30' unit, this should be the standard size IMHO, it could be since there are no details besides a picture of the floorplan....

$500 is the most you should put down on a coach. I put down even less on the Bambi. The Six Sleeper I put down $500.

I love the floorplan of the 30'. A very nice unit. You're really gonna love it. Congrats-- even if it cost you a pint or two of blood, I think it's worth it!

Eric

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 12:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Not having the experience of ordering a new Airstream, but looking at the website floor plans, I would think changing out the bed for the sofa wouldn't be a big deal. There is a sofa in that location on some of the shorter (25' & 28') models...the concern I would have is the loss of wardrobe space.

Safari Plans

I also question the need for both a dinette & a lift-up table with this plan though...why not go for the sofa option instead of the lift-up table? I would think you'd want the full-time bed...from experience, making up a sofa-bed everyday gets old if you are using it for more than a week or so at a time. Just my 2-cents...

A call to the factory would probably get you an answer pretty quickly...good luck with whatever you decide!

Shari
Old 10-20-2003, 12:56 PM   #4
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie

$500 is the most you should put down on a coach. I put down even less on the Bambi. The Six Sleeper I put down $500.

I put down $1,000 on my 34' Classic. Twice as much as Eric .. but everything in California is twice as expensive.

Also, I used a Credit Card ... so if anything goes haywire I have recourse through my bank.

I also just ordered a Ford F-350 ... they didn't ask for a dime.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 01:14 PM   #5
Little Radio

1966 28' Ambassador
Chicago , Illinois
Question '04 30' Safari Bunk

Thanks so much for the input!

Any other "must have" options or upgrades besides the bigger A/C unit?

Also, what does the SAfari upgrade package consist of?

Lastly, thanks for the confirmation that I don't need to put down 10% when ordering... $500 I can afford to lose. $5k I can't!

Tony
Old 10-20-2003, 01:48 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Tony,

Please tell me that you aren't using R and R RV sales out of Gillman.....

They really don't know the product that well and I found a place near the factory that was a bit over $1000.00 less.

The Safari upgrade pkg includes:

Screen guard (for the screen door)
Aquajet pump upgrade
LED tail lights
Electric jack
Fantasitc fan
Upgrade from 11k BTU a/c to 13.5k BTU A/C (for $200 the 15k BTU is the way to go when going that large)
Black flush
Caps and Jacket (2)

I think there was 1 or 2 more, but I don't have my paperwork handy....

As for the custom job, I know it seems easy, but I gotta tell you, so was adding the CCD window in place of the emergancy only rear window in the Safari. Same size, same location, the answer was no....... I'd call Airstream to confirm either way.....

Where in Chicagoland are you?

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 10-20-2003, 02:21 PM   #7
Little Radio

1966 28' Ambassador
Chicago , Illinois
Unhappy '04 30' Safari Bunk

Yep... I was going to go through R&R in Gilman. Now you've got me wondering... are you basing your disinclination to do business with them on product knowledge, service, pricing or all three??

I would definitely drive between 100-200 miles to buy from a reputable dealer.

What's the black tank flush option? And caps? (I'm new...)
Old 10-20-2003, 02:29 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Let's talk offline about R & R. I don't think it's approp to continue the conversation in public...I'd be happy to talk offline or via PM about them....

The black tank flush basically lets you flush out the black tank from the outside, so you can fill the black tank with water after dumping and rinse it out without having to use alternate means to flush out the black tanks.

Caps are like baseball hats.

Eric