Old 07-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
Bemidji , Minnesota
wheel wells

Does the repair you all speak of for the wheel wells with the aluminum plating work for sagging wells? And another question Where can a person get the running gear balanced or how do you do it? How does one know if his axles are shot? I jacked my trailer up and the axles only dropped an inch but the arms sit at about -1 when loaded. Thanks.

berickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
Maniacal Engineer
1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
The wheel wells are plastic, and don't live forever... and they're quite subject to getting beat to pieces if your steel belted radial throws a belt... Plating the wheel wells will help, but I'd add some aluminum angle as well to tie into the floor and walls of the trailer. The extra pounds and $ will seem cheap later on....

Rather than paying for periodic in-situ running gear balancing, I'd simply get a set of Centramatics from Inland RV; they balance things automatically, which is nice. This is not a true dynamic balance but is far better than none at all, which is what happens with most trailers.

To read up on axles, read Andy's link here.

Hope this helps -

- Bart

Bart Smaalders
Menlo Park, CA
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:53 PM   #3
Crazy Montanan in Texas
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
+1 on the centramatics, they are totally awesome!

If your axles are only drooping 1" at full rebound it sounds to me like they might be wore out. and if you are talking about your 72 model trailer, it is a really good chance that they are.

Upgrading axles is a good investment especially upgrading your braking system.

If you have your trailer apart far enough to put new wheel wells in it, I would say definitely do it, make em out of 1/8" aluminum plate, and make em solid! It will save you a ton of money if you ever have a big bad blowout as trailer tires are very prone to doing.
"When the people fear the government, there is Tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote