Fort Collins , Colorado
Rivet from the other side?

"I'd rather be happy for just one day than miserable for the rest of my life."
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Buckin' Rivets!!

I'm going to try to find those, for some reason I thought all rivets were bucked rivets.

InsideOut, it's been so long since we got the trailer that I've forgotten most of the little details. Off to eBay...

I've attached the picture of the rivet protruding from the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0cc02403-0892-4b87-ad98-0ed4a5114be1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	317.6 KB
ID:	159960  

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:45 AM   #17
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I'm going to try to find those, for some reason I thought all rivets were bucked rivets.

I seriously think you should learn about the different rivet types and what applications they are used in. You are also going to need to learn how all the various rivets are set. I am not trying to insult, but I do not think you really understand rivets or rivet technology. There are MANY threads on this Forum talking about rivets. The Mc Master Carr catalog might also help you by showing ALL the rivet possibilities and the tools needed to apply them.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #18
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes View Post

InsideOut, it's been so long since we got the trailer that I've forgotten most of the little details. Off to eBay...

I've attached the picture of the rivet protruding from the inside.
That rivet isn't excessive long, however I would try to find one size shorter.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
I ended up buying 3/16"

ingrid
Old 06-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #20
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
I ended up buying 3/16"
Diameter or length?

FWIW as inexpensive as rivets are I usually keep a healthy assortment of pop rivets around. For ones I know I am going to need for things like the Airstream I buy them in bulk, boxes of 500. I think I have about 6 different ones for the Airstream and 2-3 different sizes of buck rivets.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Well you have insulted me. Of course I don't know about the technology of rivets, beyond the very basics. If I had time to learn about the science of every kind of rivet, I wouldn't need this forum.

One of the philosophies of this forum is to be a welcoming atmosphere where members are willing to answer questions, no matter how simple. It's much faster to ask here than to learn about the entire details of rivets. I do know how they are set, I know not to combine certain metals because it causes problems, and I've riveted successfully, albeit not perfectly. I also have a husband whose job requires a small amount of sheet metal work, but he uses sheet metal screws only, and I popped on here to get a quick and helpful answer for us both.

I thank those of you who have been helpful to me, I'm just now getting back to lurching through my Airstream remodel after 9 years, and I hope you will continue to give me helpful answers, even if they are guesses. I'm learning by doing, and I haven't "done" in a very long time.

If someone says to me "I don't mean to insult", it means they are about to insult me. If someone says "With all due respect" or "I mean this in the most respectful way", they are about to say something disrespectful. I'm a busy Mom, I work full-time, and I use this forum for ease of help.

ingrid
Old 06-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Well you have insulted me. Of course I don't know about the technology of rivets, beyond the very basics. If I had time to learn about the science of every kind of rivet, I wouldn't need this forum.

One of the philosophies of this forum is to be a welcoming atmosphere where members are willing to answer questions, no matter how simple. It's much faster to ask here than to learn about the entire details of rivets. I do know how they are set, I know not to combine certain metals because it causes problems, and I've riveted successfully, albeit not perfectly. I also have a husband whose job requires a small amount of sheet metal work, but he uses sheet metal screws only, and I popped on here to get a quick and helpful answer for us both.

I thank those of you who have been helpful to me, I'm just now getting back to lurching through my Airstream remodel after 9 years, and I hope you will continue to give me helpful answers, even if they are guesses. I'm learning by doing, and I haven't "done" in a very long time.

If someone says to me "I don't mean to insult", it means they are about to insult me. If someone says "With all due respect" or "I mean this in the most respectful way", they are about to say something disrespectful. I'm a busy Mom, I work full-time, and I use this forum for ease of help.
This IS the place for help, but there is also a bit of an expectation that you'll search this forum and the rest of the internet to come up with informed questions. From going back to your first post, and looking at your photo now that it works - it looks like you are wondering why the sleeved part (body) of the rivet isn't popping off and is 'too long'. It's because that part doesn't break off... ever. Blind, or 'pop', rivets deform the body when the mandrel (wire part) is pulled... then the mandrel breaks when the tension is high enough.

For these rivets to be strong, the diameter of the hole needs to be the same as the diameter of the rivet, or it will sheer easily or twist.

If you need something with very little depth to it, I would suggest you spot-weld the material together. Welding is a whole other science that isn't the easiest to pick up as a hobby, and welding thin material is tricky. Getting into welding equipment is getting cheaper, but it's still a few hundred dollars for a little rig.

You can try find a shallower rivet, but I'm not sure that is going to get you a lot more room... the nature of a pop rivet is the way it is...
Old 06-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #23
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
If you WERE insulted it is your thing, I meant no disrespect in any way.

HERE you will find a good, but limited scope of rivets. There are 7 types they break it down by, there are 6 different material choices, and hundreds of length and diameters.
Here you will find some of the various tools used to set the various rivets. They are broken into four groups.
Both of those links are from an industrial supply catalog. Go to a place like Jay Cee Rivets and the choices go through the roof.
When doing a search of this forum there are 69 threads with "rivet type" in the title. One being this thread.

See why a simple answer is not alway simple to give.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Regarding the comment above about welding: Welding galvanized parts presents serious health hazards. Before doing this, please read the article below. In addition, further research may be warranted before attempting this.

Can You Weld Galvanized Steel? | eHow.com
Old 06-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #25
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
My first choice would be part # 97482A207 on this page. It requires a buck riveter.
My second choice would be part # 9752A030 on this page.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
I don't think we'll be welding these, but some welding is definitely in the near future: We have to weld bothaluminum and steel later. Thanks.

ingrid
Old 06-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
oops, not vulkem that's for aluminum!

ingrid
Old 11-07-2012, 12:45 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Hey y'all, we got the wheel wells done. Thanks for the help, sorry I got so snippy earlier. RRREEEEOWR

ingrid