Old 05-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member
1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Wheel Well Repair & Rally Hero

As some long time forums members know, my 72 Safari, Airylle has had a number of mishaps from nearly being destroyed in a pyro stunt gone awry during the filming of Wild Hogs to several severe blow-outs of Marathons. The first blow-out happened on Airylle's maiden voyage in the Middle of Nowhere Montana. That driver's side blow-out resulted in severe damage including setting the subfloor on fire. The next blow-out happened on the way to Deadhorse 3 only about 40 miles outside of Albuquerque. That tire blew on the outside and tore up the wheel well trim.

My son (who has a metal fabrication shop) made a whole new wheel well interior for the first blow-out to replace my sheet-metal-cut-with-a-SawsAll, screwed-in-with-sheet-metal-and-sealed-with-gaffer's tape roadside kludge repair (which actually lasted several years.) Utility clips held the curbside wheel well together until its recent heroic repair by Roger Mosely (AKA Zeppelinium) at the Vintage Restoration Rally.

Roger did such a great job I wanted to post pictures of what he did to demonstrated the method to others unfortunate enough to suffer blow-out damage.

Like many repair projects it turned out to be more complicated than first expected--hence the reason the pictures were shot in the dark illuminated by the intense halogen flood light lent by Uwe. After Roger got the wheels off he discovered damage to the inside of the well that required patching. He used material from Uwe's Flying Cloud restoration project so that patch has special sentimental significance.

Unfortunately, I've never figured out how to put pictures in with captions or get the upload function to post them in the order I uploaded them.

(Note Flamingos fleeing in fear )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4-Roger!-4.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	79593   Click image for larger version

Name:	5-holding skin in place.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	79594  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6-Vulkem.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	79595   Click image for larger version

Name:	8-last trim.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	79596  

Attached Images

Airylle 1972 Safari featured for 5 nanoseconds in the movie Wild Hogs

Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Roger is the Man!

Roger (Zep) was a busy guy during the rally. He spent most of one day on the roof of my trailer as we replaced my Air Conditioner. I don't have any pictures of the work, we were much too busy with what we thought would be a few hour job.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote