Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Wheel Wells
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Winston Salem , North Carolina
tire clearance

got a question for you guy's

i am the new and proud owner of a classic 1973 24 Argosy
i am in the process to install new axles which are ordered from inland rv.

I noticed that the front curbside tire is rubbing on the inside wheel well

i measured the axle mounting brackets front and back and they are exactly even........ so i measured the distance between the wheel well and the main frame..... curbside is 3 inches street side is 2 inches .
Could it be that the curbside well is dislodged??????
Does anyone had the same or a similar experience or knows what the distance should be ???

any help is greatly appreciated
Michael
michael13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Michael,

Sounds like you may have some bad axles. Hard to say without checking it out further though. Post a picture for us if you can and, also, someone from you area may chime in and be able to look at the trailer for you.

Good luck!
Old 05-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Michael,

Sounds like you may have some bad axles. Hard to say without checking it out further though. Post a picture for us if you can and, also, someone from you area may chime in and be able to look at the trailer for you.

Good luck!
I have ordered new axles already. the old ones are at 0 position and the trailer is not loaded at this point.
i am just wondering why the wheel well is sticking out further ( from the frame) on the curbside than the street side

Hey, if there is anyone out there in my neighborhood feel free to stop by
there is always a cold one in the fridge
Old 05-07-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
I agree about the picture part. Take some shots of the wheel well on the side that is rubbing, inside and out. Have you noticed any cracks in the frame?

When I put my wheel wells back in with the new floor, I didn't get them lined up exactly--too far to the outside of the camper. Looks a bit odd, but no mechanical problems. Do you have any reason to believe that there have been any repairs in that area before? Maybe a previous owner worked on it and didn't get things right (like me).

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
I agree about the picture part. Take some shots of the wheel well on the side that is rubbing, inside and out. Have you noticed any cracks in the frame?

When I put my wheel wells back in with the new floor, I didn't get them lined up exactly--too far to the outside of the camper. Looks a bit odd, but no mechanical problems. Do you have any reason to believe that there have been any repairs in that area before? Maybe a previous owner worked on it and didn't get things right (like me).

Jim
Thanks,
I have not found any cracks, the skin does not have any broken rivets etc. there are some on the inside........

i will try to get a few pictures tomorrow, it is kind of tight to get in there for the right angle
Old 05-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It's possible the wheelwell is not aligned, you'll be able to play with it more easily while you have the axles out of the trailer. You can pry, bolt, hammer,etc, without the tires/axles getting in the way. You may need to shove the wheelwell in and permanently attach it so it doesn't rub on the tires any more.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
It's possible the wheelwell is not aligned, you'll be able to play with it more easily while you have the axles out of the trailer. You can pry, bolt, hammer,etc, without the tires/axles getting in the way. You may need to shove the wheelwell in and permanently attach it so it doesn't rub on the tires any more.

that's what i am thinking......
now, how are the wheel wells attached, i looked under the bed and there seems to be a cover riveted over the actual well, in some spots it is a bit dislodged from the wall....

my plan at the moment is to drill all of the rivets out take the cover of- have a beer-- and decide the next steps from there
Old 05-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1987 23' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
You could also have wheels with different offset on one side. PO's are notorious for these kind of things.
Campaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:38 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1987 23' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
OOPS! I misread, probably a wheel well issue.

But, what if your wheel wells aren't supposed to be symmetrical? I would verify you have the same size tires on both sides and check wheel offset. Just me,... I like to measure stuff.
Campaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
well,
here is a picture from the tire hitting the wheel well

anyone out there that can make some sense to this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0210.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	382.1 KB
ID:	80085   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0209.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	80086  

Old 05-12-2009, 07:04 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
Lagrange , Kentucky
I understand your thoughts on the wheel wells being different however, I would check easier items first. From the pic, it appears that you have fairly new tires...are they the same size? Maybe the depleted axle is allowing the inner shaft to angle which in turn would make the tire to rub. I seem to remember the same scenario w/ mine before new axles but the memory is fuzzy. I would wait to see what the new axle provided before making drastic modifications or even worrying too much. The more I write and think about it, I'm pretty sure I had the same issue before new axles were installed.

Good-luck
grtwhthuntr is offline   Reply With Quote