Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Wheel Wells
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Pearland , Texas
Spacers? or no....

Here's my dilemma. I have a week of vacation coming up and am chomping at the bit to take my new (to me) trailer out for a test run. My axles are worn (too low) and that combined with the fact that the wheel wells have developed a bow in them has left all four tires rubbing. I have new axles on the way with a steeper down angle and another 1/4 of clearance on both sides that together will alleviate the rubbing issue. But here's the thing- Due to a delay at the factory I don't know if they will make it in time and so I may reinstall the old axle that i have out and put some 1/4 wheel spacers on to keep the tires from rubbing. I'm not going too far, probably just to a state park and then to the beach (about an hour from home) but I was curious, has anyone tried to use aluminum disc brake spacers between the wheels and the hubs and how has that worked out? any problems?

Dorman/AutoGrade 1/4 in. thick 5 1/2 in. bolt circle 5 and 6 lug wheel spacer (711-912) | Disc Brake Wheel Spacer | AutoZone.com
Fujak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I have absolutely no experience with axles, but your description of a temporary fix to correct tire rubbing sounds like an accident waiting to happen. I understand your being anxious to hit the road; but if it were me, I'd wait and do the job right. Just an opinion to be taken with a grain of salt. However, I am sure others with experience will provide better advice.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujak View Post
Here's my dilemma. I have a week of vacation coming up and am chomping at the bit to take my new (to me) trailer out for a test run. My axles are worn (too low) and that combined with the fact that the wheel wells have developed a bow in them has left all four tires rubbing. I have new axles on the way with a steeper down angle and another 1/4 of clearance on both sides that together will alleviate the rubbing issue. But here's the thing- Due to a delay at the factory I don't know if they will make it in time and so I may reinstall the old axle that i have out and put some 1/4 wheel spacers on to keep the tires from rubbing. I'm not going too far, probably just to a state park and then to the beach (about an hour from home) but I was curious, has anyone tried to use aluminum disc brake spacers between the wheels and the hubs and how has that worked out? any problems?

Dorman/AutoGrade 1/4 in. thick 5 1/2 in. bolt circle 5 and 6 lug wheel spacer (711-912) | Disc Brake Wheel Spacer | AutoZone.com
Your inviting and begging for many troubles, "FIRST CLASS".

Don't do it.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujak View Post

I have used that type of spacer to make a wheel sit in exactly the correct place inside the wheel well of Street Rods with no problem at all. The important thing is to make sure the studs are long enough to allow the nuts to go completely onto the stud. In all cases, I have had to replace the original studs with longer studs.

As far as putting your old axles back on your trailer, I wouldn't do that. I know that you are anxious to get on the road, but damage done by bad axles could delay you more than this one trip.

Be patient, wait for your new axles, do the job right, and enjoy your trailer.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Re-schedule

I think for safety sake I would try to change my time off to a later date! Rather than chance a temp fix that could go wrong and cause an accident or injury to the trailer and/or people including yourself! If you cannot change the vacation dates then do yourself and everyone on the road a big favor and camp in your trailer at home. Just sayin'... Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Do some "pad camping" with mental visualization....adult beverages help.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I would not install the old axles again. I would also determine why the wheel wells have developed a bend in them before I installed the new ones.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Pearland , Texas
Thanks all. I just needed to hear the voice of reason. I shall wait and do it right. Besides, there is still a week for the parts to arrive!
Fujak is offline   Reply With Quote