Old 07-08-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2007 23' International CCD
vero beach , Florida
Unhappy Damage to wheel well

So---the tire shredded and the loose rubber rubbed into the wheel well. Chunks of tire and fluffs of insulation were flying all over the Florida Turnpike. Upon stopping, I noticed the wiring was stripped and loose wires were protruding from the wheel well. The damage is on the passenger side, in the front part of the wheel well. There is a red wire and a green one--stripped down to the copper wire...basically shredded.. I noticed the water pump did not work any longer.
I am having all four tires replaced. The tire dealer told me it was not an old tire that failed, but a faulty tire.

Any idea what else those wires affect?
Where did all the insulation come from?
Whom would you recommend to repair this damage?

sherrylynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Sent PM..

There are a couple folks here like Rich who can kick in their repair saga...

Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Insulation is generally between an inner and an outer wheel well. It is a two piece design with insulation between inner and outer.

Hard to say what wiring was damaged until you get further into the job.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
2009 27' FB International
_ , Florida
Sorry to hear about your situation. I had a very similar situation happen almost a year ago to the day. Right front tire tread separated and caused massive damage. Wires, gas lines, water, and more were damaged.

Here is the link to the thread I started last year about the incident.

I did a little research and used a somewhat local airstream dealer in Gulfport, MS. I recently used JD Sanders airstream in north central FL to replace my city water connection and they were great at working me in on short notice while I was on a trip.

There are numerous threads about upgrading to the 16" LT tires and I will say I'm glad I did. I've towed about 8k miles in the last year with them and they have been great. If you have any questions about upgrading the tires or your situation please message me if you want to talk since I have gone through it before.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I think others have pretty much answered your questions. I am curious to know what type of tire it was - make, and type, (i.e ST or trailer tire, or LT, light truck tire.) Many of us have switched to LT tires because of problems with trailer tires - as you will be able to read on this forum.

Also, wonder if you are in the habit of regularly checking tire pressures - they say under inflated tires are one of the largest causes of blow outs.

It is certainly no 100% guarantee, but I believe that a Tire Pressure Monitoring System, (TPMS) is a good investment against possibly having a repeat of this potentially costly situation. It will warn you of slow leaks that if not noticed, could lead to a shredded tire, and in the event of a sudden blowout - which you may not realize you have had for a while, should give you a warning quickly and with luck, allow you to pull over before major damage is caused.

Certainly good practice to take a walk around every time you stop for fuel or a rest stop and visually examine all tires.

Don't mean to preach, and my apologies if you are already very well aware of this!

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
1980 Excella II
1980 31' Excella II
Los Alamos , New Mexico
For 16" LT tires, did you also have to get 16" wheels? From where?

glh101282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member
2009 27' FB International
_ , Florida
Yes for 16" tires you need 16" wheels. I used and found them to be the cheapest. They were very professional and helpful too.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:01 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member
2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Been there and done that with an original GYM tire. First moved to the LTX 15 inch tires and then earlier this year on to the 16 inch. Now I have a much more feeling of comfort when we are tooling down the road :-)

Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote