Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2014, 04:47 PM   #1
Bubba John

1969 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Maine
Work Platform for Roof Work

I have been reviewing threads to find a good way to get onto my 1969 Airstream roof for major reworking. I didn't find anything I felt good about that didn't cost a lot of money. At 68 years old and feeling the aches and pains and remembering how bad it is when I fall, I knew I needed a work platform that was wide, safe and stable.

Here's what I came up with: The first photo shows the completed scaffold/platform up against the side of my 69. I used 2X6's for the 12 foot verticals and the 8 foot runners. I realize it could have been 2X4's to cut the weight some. The 12 footers give me a good hand hold when I'm going up and particularly as I'm coming down. I lapped, glued and screwed the 2X6's for a rigid joint (2nd image) and let in 1X5 horizontal bracing-this so I could put a 1X5 diagonal brace flush to prevent racking. You will notice I put the 2X4 bracing for the upright on the outside so the interior stayed open for the platform and ladder. The runners will get curved ends cut in when I move it so it will slide more easily to the next position. Next you can see how my work platform is supported by the scaffold. The weight is carried by the 2X4 and I put a 1X4 up 4-¼ inches on the other side to keep the platform in place. I also attached the platform ends to the scaffolding with 3 inch screws. The platform itself has a sharp tapered bottom with a ½ inch plywood bottom to spread the load over the flimsy roof. This way I'm always sure to be over a rib somewhere. Next I put two sheets of ½ inch ply on top to make a ruffly 4X4 platform. With My Little Giant ladder (which has been a godsend with it's flexibility) extended it is an easy climb to the top and the platform give me room to work and keep a lot of tools close at hand. This rig has proven indispensable in removing the old AC which was a real bitch and could never have been done from a ladder. It will also come in handy as I cover the whole roof (except for the double skylight) with large household solar panels. Since I've killed the AC and will be completely off grid, the panels will play the dual roll of heat shield, keeping most of the suns heat off the roof, and plenty of power to run an almost total electric trailer. I'll be using gas for the range and a small vented catalytic heater only. Even the water heater will be only electric. I also plan to invest in a Sun Frost refrig and LED lighting. I should have plenty of power year round as this will be my permanent home.
Bubba John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:49 PM   #2
Bubba John

1969 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Maine
Hey, were did the photo files I attached go? Sorry guys and gals, I'll have to figure out what happened and post them separately.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
Bubba John

1969 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Maine
Scaffold Photos (I hope)

Attached.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #4
Bubba John

1969 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Maine
The photos don't show. Anybody got an idea why? I selected files to attach and clicked upload, but they don't seem to have materialized.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba John View Post
Hey, were did the photo files I attached go? Sorry guys and gals, I'll have to figure out what happened and post them separately.
Platforms are a waste of money and time.

They are not needed.

Thousands of owners get on the roof all the time, without any damage.

BUT, do not go forward or rearward of the awning rail. If you do, you will be buying some segments.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #6
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Here's some help with getting pictures posted

Post 7 here

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ics-44928.html
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

They are not needed.

Andy,

I disagree with your statement. Did you ever stop to think that maybe damage is not the concern. Maybe minor mobility impairment is. I have had one knee replacement ant need another. Getting from ladder to roof and back again safely is a concern. Concern for damage -yes to me. A platform would give a safe alternative to being able to work on the roof.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
[QUOTE=bwoodtx;1513464]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

They are not needed.

Andy,

I disagree with your statement. Did you ever stop to think that maybe damage is not the concern. Maybe minor mobility impairment is. I have had one knee replacement ant need another. Getting from ladder to roof and back again safely is a concern. Concern for damage -yes to me. A platform would give a safe alternative to being able to work on the roof.
Excellent point.

I had not thought of any impairments.

Maybe I am lucky, as I have an artificial left knee, but still get up on the roof, but admittedly, with much more caution.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:30 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Mandeville , Alabama
Roofers use that thick foam cushion for nonskid & comfort working on hands and knees!
Natty Lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:36 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Paris , Ontario
Any suggestions for working on the roof while polishing? - I've just completed my first round using F7, but I do not want to scratch it all up walking and kneeling on top.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
One of the neatest solutions I ever saw was so simple. Two box trucks.

Park the Airstream in an open space. Park one box truck on either side - snugly. (Of course this works best if you own two box trucks or know someone else who does.

Lay a couple of 2 x 10's across, and staple, screw or nail a couple of plywood sheets to the 2 x 10's. Walk or crawl anywhere.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Paris , Ontario
Foiled: That would work great if I had 2 box trucks, and lived in Virginia Beach, not Canada.... Tonight is going to be minus 9 feels like minus16*C (or 16 feels like 3*F) Love the idea though. Simplicity is the best method.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I cover the area im going to be working on with a canvas tarp or movers blanket. I have cut 5/8" plywood to various widths and long enough to span two ribs. Then i just set the plywood on top of the tarp making sure to overlap a rib on both ends. You can work off the plywood pretty safely. If need be you can set a piece of plywood across and perpendicular to two pieces running forward to back. Replaced my roof vents with that set up and felt safe. I use a "bakers scaffold" with a four foot step ladder on top of the scaffold platform to climb onto and off the plywood on the roof.
Bilateral hip replacement along with very severe, multilevel, inoperable degenerative disc disease. So i feel your pain.....literally. Hope that gives you some ideas. Also a retired carpenter and have lots of scrap plywood to use.

Good luck and for gods sakes be safe up there, and be very deliberate with your movements.....i may be slow but Im stubborn dammit.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78SovIntl31 View Post
Foiled: That would work great if I had 2 box trucks, and lived in Virginia Beach, not Canada.... Tonight is going to be minus 9 feels like minus16*C (or 16 feels like 3*F) Love the idea though. Simplicity is the best method.
I have a friend who runs a U-Haul (truck rental) place - They always have a few trucks that are aging out - usually real beat up wrecks that sit on the lot waiting for a semi-annual auction. We used to rent them for Christmas storage - parking them behind our retail store. Because they basically blew black smoke and could break down if you breathed heavily on them we got them for a song and drove them less than 10 miles round trip from the dealership. If you've got any rental places in your area, try giving them a call.

Another option is a builders equipment rental store - rent 8 feet of scaffolding for each side. If you're lifting something heavy like an air conditioning unit, you could even rent a "man lift" for one side and raise the AC, then plank across and slide the AC onto the roof. This stuff is expensive BUT... bargains do happen if you work with the supplier who has slack periods where his inventory is just taking up space.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I own steel scaffolding from when I built my hangar. They will not span the AS because the steel-tube bracing is only 8 ft long... but... If I buy EMT (Electrical Metal Tubing) the proper length, say 10 ft, I can make new braces and span the AS just fine, and lay a plank across over the AS. :wink:
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Foiled,
You reminded me of my wife and I getting our new AC on the roof of our 1979. The AC came on a palet (sp). We ran a couple of screws to hold the AC on the palet on the back of the truck and backed the truck up to the side of the camper. Then took 2x6 boards to create a ramp, laying them under the palet and on some foam onto the awning rail. We then tied a rope to the AC and threw the other end over the camper. My wife wrapped it around a tree on the other side just as a belay rope for safety. I sat on the roof and pulled the AC right up like a sled without scratching the top.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:58 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
York , South Carolina
getting on roof

New owner 2009 International 25. Simple question that I haven't seen an answer to.... How to get up onto roof. Somehow it seems wrong to lay a ladder up against side of trailer. On my previous "box" RV I could simply lean ladder against rain gutter on either side. Can I lean my ladder against curved alum. side? It won't dent? should I pad ladder. I firmly believe in roof inspections several times a year but I am nervous about my shiny airstream. Right now my only dents are at the rivet points and I want to keep it that way forever. Any comments appreciated. I have a great collapsible "tubular " ladder bought for last RV.
Thx
bbodenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:51 PM   #18
Bubba John

1969 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbodenstein View Post
New owner 2009 International 25. Simple question that I haven't seen an answer to.... How to get up onto roof. Somehow it seems wrong to lay a ladder up against side of trailer. On my previous "box" RV I could simply lean ladder against rain gutter on either side. Can I lean my ladder against curved alum. side? It won't dent? should I pad ladder. I firmly believe in roof inspections several times a year but I am nervous about my shiny airstream. Right now my only dents are at the rivet points and I want to keep it that way forever. Any comments appreciated. I have a great collapsible "tubular " ladder bought for last RV.
Thx
What has worked for me is to attach a 3 foot length of pipe to the top of the ladder horizontal (zip ties work great and attach a split length of the appropriate sized water pipe insulation (again attached with zip ties). This spreads the load, prevents scratches and is light and easy to handle.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
olive hill , Kentucky
i have been using a 10ft A ladder..that way it doesnt touch my AS. but i needed to learn how to walk on top...i kinow to stay on the rivits but i will be replacing a vent and polishing so thats what brought me to this thread,,,,----i also recomend laying heavy blankets along the side of the AS just in case the ladder does touch it..
bap-n-nan is offline   Reply With Quote