Old 04-27-2015, 06:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I own steel scaffolding from when I built my hangar. They will not span the AS because the steel-tube bracing is only 8 ft long... but... If I buy EMT (Electrical Metal Tubing) the proper length, say 10 ft, I can make new braces and span the AS just fine, and lay a plank across over the AS. :wink:

Old 04-27-2015, 08:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Foiled,
You reminded me of my wife and I getting our new AC on the roof of our 1979. The AC came on a palet (sp). We ran a couple of screws to hold the AC on the palet on the back of the truck and backed the truck up to the side of the camper. Then took 2x6 boards to create a ramp, laying them under the palet and on some foam onto the awning rail. We then tied a rope to the AC and threw the other end over the camper. My wife wrapped it around a tree on the other side just as a belay rope for safety. I sat on the roof and pulled the AC right up like a sled without scratching the top.

Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:58 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
York , South Carolina
getting on roof

New owner 2009 International 25. Simple question that I haven't seen an answer to.... How to get up onto roof. Somehow it seems wrong to lay a ladder up against side of trailer. On my previous "box" RV I could simply lean ladder against rain gutter on either side. Can I lean my ladder against curved alum. side? It won't dent? should I pad ladder. I firmly believe in roof inspections several times a year but I am nervous about my shiny airstream. Right now my only dents are at the rivet points and I want to keep it that way forever. Any comments appreciated. I have a great collapsible "tubular " ladder bought for last RV.
Thx
Old 07-25-2015, 01:51 PM   #18
Bubba John

1969 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbodenstein View Post
New owner 2009 International 25. Simple question that I haven't seen an answer to.... How to get up onto roof. Somehow it seems wrong to lay a ladder up against side of trailer. On my previous "box" RV I could simply lean ladder against rain gutter on either side. Can I lean my ladder against curved alum. side? It won't dent? should I pad ladder. I firmly believe in roof inspections several times a year but I am nervous about my shiny airstream. Right now my only dents are at the rivet points and I want to keep it that way forever. Any comments appreciated. I have a great collapsible "tubular " ladder bought for last RV.
Thx
What has worked for me is to attach a 3 foot length of pipe to the top of the ladder horizontal (zip ties work great and attach a split length of the appropriate sized water pipe insulation (again attached with zip ties). This spreads the load, prevents scratches and is light and easy to handle.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
olive hill , Kentucky
i have been using a 10ft A ladder..that way it doesnt touch my AS. but i needed to learn how to walk on top...i kinow to stay on the rivits but i will be replacing a vent and polishing so thats what brought me to this thread,,,,----i also recomend laying heavy blankets along the side of the AS just in case the ladder does touch it..