Old 09-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
White Roof Sealers

To shine or not not shine...that is the question

Found a lot of threads about white roofs, plenty of options.

Will really like the feesdback from people that painted 1 or more years ago and see how is holding up.
Most of the threads we found are very nice in details about the prep & painting and they hole look great once finished, we are wondering how does it look a year or more after.
Pictures are always welcome !
Thanks in advance.

2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
please ignore the spelling horrors! first post from the airforums app

Old 09-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1967 24' Tradewind
1975 31' Sovereign
Estancia , New Mexico
I put on this stuff called Ceramiflex by Sealoflex more than 5 years ago. There was some initial chalking but that has stopped. There is a top coat which probably would have eliminated the chalking but since it was applied mainly to reflect heat and not seal the roof it was optional. It did make a small but noticable difference in the sun heating the trailer. It is more than 5 years old and still holding up well. Only problem is it was only available in 5 gal quantity which is enough for 4 or 5 Airstreams.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Andy has a post somewhere on here about the "right" way to paint the roof of an Airstream. Seems legit.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I put on this stuff called Ceramiflex by Sealoflex more than 5 years ago. There was some initial chalking but that has stopped. There is a top coat which probably would have eliminated the chalking but since it was applied mainly to reflect heat and not seal the roof it was optional. It did make a small but noticable difference in the sun heating the trailer. It is more than 5 years old and still holding up well. Only problem is it was only available in 5 gal quantity which is enough for 4 or 5 Airstreams.
do you have any pictures of how does it looks now?
we will probably get 5 gallons anyways since the idea is todo to Avion (38.5ft) and the AS (31ft) so i guess with 2 coats on each 5 gallons will be just enough
Old 09-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Another happy user of ceramiflex. Link to the original post here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f478...lex-98479.html

Its not quite a year, but it is holding up well. It will darken some but in the bright daylight you would never tell.

Ongoing adventures at:
http://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , By Grace of God, Texas!
Ok I figure this is a stretch for this thread...but here goes..because I may need to know soon..

Our 1999 has some kind of white coating too. It is beginning to chalk quite a bit. There are no "loose" spots at this time.

I wonder if Ceramiflex would bond well enough or do I need to take off to bare aluminum to redo roof???
cwf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Our 1997 has the same coating. I believe it comes from Alcoa that way and is not factory applied. A good washing clears any chalking we have had. I think stripping just to recoat with another product would be a huge undertaking for a minimal return in our case. Any product strong enough to ensure a good bond for the Ceramiflex would concern me as to its effect on the rest of the trailer clear coat.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
Our 1997 has the same coating. I believe it comes from Alcoa that way and is not factory applied. A good washing clears any chalking we have had. I think stripping just to recoat with another product would be a huge undertaking for a minimal return in our case. Any product strong enough to ensure a good bond for the Ceramiflex would concern me as to its effect on the rest of the trailer clear coat.
Thanks!
Old 09-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Now, based on many threads there is a ton of info about the reasons about the reflectivity factor to decrease the temperature inside.
If is possible we will like some feedback from owners about the "gloss" or "flat" white roof, how does it look after a couple of seasons?
Old 09-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
If you want to do it the right way and the best way, look at post #23 on this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f478...tml#post688579
Old 09-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1967 24' Tradewind
1975 31' Sovereign
Estancia , New Mexico
Ceramiflex 5 years down the road

here's a photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00198.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	196588  
Old 09-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Ok I figure this is a stretch for this thread...but here goes..because I may need to know soon..

Our 1999 has some kind of white coating too. It is beginning to chalk quite a bit. There are no "loose" spots at this time.

I wonder if Ceramiflex would bond well enough or do I need to take off to bare aluminum to redo roof???

The literature that describes application for ceramiflex states that it needs a clean dry and intact (no loose or chipping paint) surface to bond effectively. In my case, I wirebrushed the silicone gobs off the rivets from the PO and then washed the roof well, let it dry and then applied two coats initially. It went on very easily. When I patched a spot where the old tv antenna was, I ended up recoating the roof to make it all a fairly uniform white again. Keep in mind that ceramiflex is a commercial roofing product designed mainly for large buildings with metal roofs. That fact that it works well on aluminum trailers is good fortune for us. If it were difficult to apply or needed lots of surface prep, it probably wouldnt sell well. Plus its over 200 bucks for a 5 gallon container. There are other white rv coatings available, but I don't think they are equivalent in terms of the technology that went into making them. And for sure they dont cost as much.

I can also tell you that on a hot summer day, you can comfortably rest your hand on the ceramiflex coated roof. If you move your hand over to where its just aluminum, you can get a nice burn.

Ongoing adventures at:
http://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #14
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquinob View Post
The literature that describes application for ceramiflex states that it needs a clean dry and intact (no loose or chipping paint) surface to bond effectively. In my case, I wirebrushed the silicone gobs off the rivets from the PO and then washed the roof well, let it dry and then applied two coats initially. It went on very easily. When I patched a spot where the old tv antenna was, I ended up recoating the roof to make it all a fairly uniform white again. Keep in mind that ceramiflex is a commercial roofing product designed mainly for large buildings with metal roofs. That fact that it works well on aluminum trailers is good fortune for us. If it were difficult to apply or needed lots of surface prep, it probably wouldnt sell well. Plus its over 200 bucks for a 5 gallon container. There are other white rv coatings available, but I don't think they are equivalent in terms of the technology that went into making them. And for sure they dont cost as much. I can also tell you that on a hot summer day, you can comfortably rest your hand on the ceramiflex coated roof. If you move your hand over to where its just aluminum, you can get a nice burn.
So! My current white roof isn't quite as cool as that! Hmmmmmmm

Thx y'all!