Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member
 
silver 67's Avatar
 
1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 365
Images: 3
White roof preparation

I am seriously thinking about painting the roof white as Andy with Inland Rv suggest. My question is in the sanding how in the world is the best way to sand around all of the rivets that are about 1" apart?

If you don't sand completely around each and every rivet and I mean completely up to the edges of the rivet the paint will more than likely lift off at the edges of the rivet.

I only want to do this once so i want to "get it done" right as the Cable Guy says.

Thanks,

silver 67
__________________

__________________
Beth and/or David

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,849
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver 67 View Post
I am seriously thinking about painting the roof white as Andy with Inland Rv suggest. My question is in the sanding how in the world is the best way to sand around all of the rivets that are about 1" apart?

If you don't sand completely around each and every rivet and I mean completely up to the edges of the rivet the paint will more than likely lift off at the edges of the rivet.

I only want to do this once so i want to "get it done" right as the Cable Guy says.

Thanks,

silver 67

You use an "air sander", CAREFULLY.

There is no trick, but a lot of patience is necessary.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Andy Rogozinski
Inland RV Center
Corona, CA
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Tom Nugler's Avatar

 
1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 995
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
You use an "air sander"....
If you have access to right angle die grinder I'd be inclined to use a 3M roloc disc.
I use these for all types of metal finishing on irregular surfaces. I'd recommend the yellow or white bristle disc instead of a Green Corps sanding or Scotch Brite pad.

3M US: Roloc Bristle Disc

Tom
__________________
AirForums # 2806
WBCCI / VAC # 6411
TAC IL-11

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Lumatic's Avatar

 
1971 25' Tradewind
1967 24' Tradewind
1975 31' Sovereign
Estancia , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,861
Images: 16
I don't know what kind of paint you are using, but I used Flex Seal/ Ceramiflex. Nothing in the prep instructions about sanding, but a good cleaning followed by acid etch primer is recommended. I know some people have skipped the primer.

Also I have enough extra primer and Ceramiflex to do at least another roof if anyone wants it. Might be kind of hard to ship though.
__________________
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
tkasten's Avatar
 
1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 847
Images: 6
silver 67- How much of the roof are you painting? The center 2 panels or all the way down to the awnings? Been thinking of doing the same thing just not sure how far down to bring it.
__________________
Tim
TAC MI 14

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 779
Tim,
Yours is an older trailer that did not have a white painted roof. The curve of your roof is quite dramatic compared to the later trailers. I would be inclined to keep the white paint up on top where it is not too noticeable. That way it looks more original.
But it won't have quite the cooling effect.
By the way, has anyone who has done this any comments on how much cooler it seems to keep the trailer?
Al
__________________
Al and Jean

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
tkasten's Avatar
 
1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 847
Images: 6
Al,
Thanks for the info as I was concerned that it might be show too much.
__________________
Tim
TAC MI 14

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #8
AIRFORUMS # 005
 
ALANSD's Avatar

 
1966 26' Overlander
North , Georgia
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,182
Send a message via Yahoo to ALANSD
I am thinking about doing the center top panel on my 66. Its the only part I don't want to shine!
__________________
1966 Overlander & Chevrolet Trailblazer
Please visit our blog:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
Minno's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,836
When we were at the Restoration Rally in June, Levon had done it with Kool-coat (sp?) on a trailer. He said it made a significant difference. We're probably going to do it at some point based on his recommendation. We have an older trailer so will keep it to the very top panel.

Kay
__________________
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
McHenry , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,603
We painted our 1977 down to the awnings but not the hemispheres. You could walk by it and not notice. Difficult to run a scientific test but I think it was about 10 degrees cooler on a hot no cloud no air day at Rapid City the second time around. The first Rapid City International at 104 inside the trailer convinced me to give the white paint a try. It still was not pleasant even with the white paint but a little better.
__________________
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,849
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I don't know what kind of paint you are using, but I used Flex Seal/ Ceramiflex. Nothing in the prep instructions about sanding, but a good cleaning followed by acid etch primer is recommended. I know some people have skipped the primer.

Also I have enough extra primer and Ceramiflex to do at least another roof if anyone wants it. Might be kind of hard to ship though.
Sorry, but any kind of acid, should never, EVER, be used on an Airstream.

Quite well, in time, you will have more water leaks around the rivets, "than you can count".

That's why sanding, "is the safe way".

Andy
__________________
Andy Rogozinski
Inland RV Center
Corona, CA
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #12
Ready-to-Travel
 
pmclemore's Avatar

 
1998 31' Limited
Walkerton , Virginia
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,259
I'm so pedestrian that if I needed to paint the roof white, I'd prep what I could and then just paint. If some of the paint flaked off later, it wouldn't affect the sun-reflecting properties at all.

Hard to see your defects from the street.

Pat
__________________
--------------------------------------
Somebody, please, point me to the road.

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
wbcci 9239 (Re-enlisted 2013)
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 779
Not to argue with you Andy, but that self etching primer is designed for prepping aluminum for finish paint. I would think that the amount of "acid" is not enough to remain active. This is not the same as the method I've seen before where there was talk of washing the aluminum with an acid wash.
By the way, my trailer is a '94 that was made with panels that were supplied by Alcoa prefinished to Airstream. Seems that there was a cleaner applied to the raw aluminum to prep for the clear coat. Not rinsed properly or neutralized and the finished trailer started to oxidize under the clearcoat on dealers lots. Evidently Airstream decided the only way to fix the problem was to strip the clearcoat and paint the affected trailers to be able to sell them. Mine was painted by Can-Am rv in 1994 and the paint job still looks like new except for one small area where the clearcoat has peeled. The primer and aluminum paint are still intact.
How should I go about touching up the failed clearcoat.
Al
__________________
Al and Jean

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,849
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
Not to argue with you Andy, but that self etching primer is designed for prepping aluminum for finish paint. I would think that the amount of "acid" is not enough to remain active. This is not the same as the method I've seen before where there was talk of washing the aluminum with an acid wash.
By the way, my trailer is a '94 that was made with panels that were supplied by Alcoa prefinished to Airstream. Seems that there was a cleaner applied to the raw aluminum to prep for the clear coat. Not rinsed properly or neutralized and the finished trailer started to oxidize under the clearcoat on dealers lots. Evidently Airstream decided the only way to fix the problem was to strip the clearcoat and paint the affected trailers to be able to sell them. Mine was painted by Can-Am rv in 1994 and the paint job still looks like new except for one small area where the clearcoat has peeled. The primer and aluminum paint are still intact.
How should I go about touching up the failed clearcoat.
Al

Self etching acids get underneath the rivet heads, causing water leaks.

Acid etching cannot possibly prepare the aluminum surface as well as sanding, to assure one's self of a proper primer bond.

We have seen way too many "paint failures" when acid etching was used, along with tons of leaks.

Make a test by making a small panel with the acid etch, and then another panel with proper sanding. Install the primer, then the color, and finally the clear coat.

Let those sample cure out in the sun, for a few days.

Then, bend the samples 45 degrees or better, and observe the results.

The acid eltch will fail, the sanded sample "won't fail".

When I get back to the office, if you wish, I could post a photo of the sanding preparation method, when the metal was bent more than 90 degrees, by an accident.

The paint is not even cracked, let alone chipped off.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Andy Rogozinski
Inland RV Center
Corona, CA
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wide White Wall Tires wasagachris Tires 14 08-04-2011 09:32 PM
Sloped Roof Under Air Horns Johns5711 Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes 7 07-27-2011 07:02 PM
New Warm white Recessed Puck Lights Dan@LED4RV Commercial Listings 14 05-25-2011 11:41 AM





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.
Modal Click