Old 08-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
Seattle , Washington
Question White roof is soft

I just purchased my 2001 Bambi and while washing it discovered that it has a white roof. I admit that I was so excited to just find an affordable Bambi, I didn't inspect the roof prior to purchase. I've learned from reading other threads that this may be elastomeric paint. However, the roof is also noticeably softer. I can press on it and it pushes in. I definitely wouldn't want to try to stand on it. It seems to me that the aluminum might have been replaced with a different material, or perhaps the 2001's were manufactured with a different roof. Can anyone shed some light on my roof? Thanks!

Old 08-04-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
I was told by Bates rv when I bought my 08 that it is anodized aluminum, when I was up there a few weeks ago to clean it i noticed a lot of indents caused I would assume during the building process. It does appear to be of a softer metal than the sides. Best idea I came up with was not look up there unless I have to..

Old 08-04-2009, 05:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The roof is thin aluminum. The original roof coating in 2001 was a acrylic paint that was applied at the Aluminum supplier's shop when the aluminum was made. The previous owner may have coated it with an elastomeric paint, if he experienced some leakage problems, but it is doubtful. If you weigh over 200 pounds, it will take some special procedures for you to stand on the roof. If you are much lighter and very careful, you can carefully walk on the rivet lines that show where the structural roof bows are located. This is not recommended to amateurs or the faint of heart.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
Seattle , Washington
Thank you both for your replies. I feel much better just knowing this is normal for my trailer. I was a bit worried about it being an odd after market redo. Luckily, I weigh in just over 100 lbs so if I get strong hearted, I can hop up there if need be. But I like the idea of just not needing to go up there! Thanks again for your kind reply. Gina
Old 08-10-2009, 09:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Even at your weight, it is not recommended that you venture onto the hemispherical ends. They are pretty fragile by being stretched during the shaping and can also can be unsafe footing. You will need to pad any ladders you put up against the sides to reach the top. Placing the ladder against the rolled up awning will help spread the stress.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #6

1974 31' Sovereign
Lake Lure , North Carolina
If I wanted to paint the top of my Airstream white what would be the process? Acid etch the AL? and paint with what? Brushed or spraded? Also, if I wanted to paint the lower closeout(perimeter at the bottom) what would I use? Thanks, Wally Gilbert
Old 08-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Bambi Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by beulahluster View Post
I just purchased my 2001 Bambi and while washing it discovered that it has a white roof. I admit that I was so excited to just find an affordable Bambi, I didn't inspect the roof prior to purchase. I've learned from reading other threads that this may be elastomeric paint. However, the roof is also noticeably softer. I can press on it and it pushes in. I definitely wouldn't want to try to stand on it. It seems to me that the aluminum might have been replaced with a different material, or perhaps the 2001's were manufactured with a different roof. Can anyone shed some light on my roof? Thanks!
Beulahluster,

I also have a 16ft. '01 and when I bought it the white roof is where I started in the initial cleaning and checking everything out process. I have spent a few hours up there resealing everything, replacing parts on the fantastic fan, removing and replacing the ac cover, etc., etc. The biggest problem is that there is hardly any place to fully get on top!

If you're not too big you can sit or stand. Just do what some others have said, stay on the rivet lines, move around slowly, and you will be fine. Don't ignore what's up there, those things need attention just like the rest of the trailer.

The 16' does have its occasional limitations, due to the small size, but I have found that there is virtually no spot that I can't get into and I have turned it around in places that I would have bet money that could never happen. If you are concerned about first impressions make sure that you keep it very clean because every time I pull in somewhere I have visitors before I can get it unhitched. People seem to be completely amazed that all that stuff is inside that little thing.

Mine has been a complete joy to have and I'm sure yours will be too!! Get it on the road............. Be Safe.

TB