Old 06-14-2016, 05:36 AM   #15
Jeff I

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1964 22' Safari
Hammondsport , New York
roof coating

Imron 3500 is a 2 part polyurethane paint similar to automotive. Very tough and nice looking but 2 coats is only 2 - 2.5 mils.

If the goal is to seal the seams and rivets the Truco 7140 is much thicker and more flexible. It actually is rubbery and goes on at up to 6 mils in one coat. It will show brush marks.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Imho I think the main goal is to reflect sunlight to that it is not converted to heat. MOST leaks, (again imho) are around fixtures and vents, not seams.

A thick product application can be looked at as an asset or a liability. Over the long term a thicker application is not always the best.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Isn't Imron toxic to lungs and must wear chemical respirator to apply I have sprayed on vehicles if did not wear respirator had problems for several yrs w/lungs also don't you need hardener with Imron or is Imron with hardener toxic. Yes it is good for many jobs but I would never use again. I sold Dupont paints yrs. ago so haven't any prob. with there prod. I've out of loop of painting for over 20 yrs. Q. asked because I'm not up to date.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:10 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
White Roof coating, would you do it again?

It can be rolled, no real hazard there.

If sprayed a pressure respirator pump system should be worn as outlined in the MSDS.

Some people do have a heightened sensitivity to the product, but it is my understanding that this is pretty much a non issue when it is not airborne due to spraying.

This is going to be the case with ANY two part urethane and actually most any activated or catalyzed paint.

It is my experience that an activated or a catalyzed paint is many times more durable than any paint that is not.

This paint will essentially never dry if it is not activated.

Superat stultitia.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Has anyone used GACO? I just had some home roof repairs done on a flat roof and that is what my roofer has been using for 14 years with excellent results. Two-part primer and one part application, two coats.

Larry
Old 06-14-2016, 06:28 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2003 22' International CCD
2004 28' Safari
Sahuarita , Arizona
Imron

I painted an airplane with Imron. READ the Cautions. It is not the spray/mist, but the chemical content the will ruin your liver. Very Dangerous without a full respirator.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I used Supertherm on mine. Night and day difference heat wise. I then topcoated with Enamogrip which is a high gloss polyurethane. Great product. Next I glued on four flexible solar panels that are almost black. The trailer is still cooler than before the Supertherm. I'm very happy with the product and the result.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:42 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
White Roof coating, would you do it again?

It isn't the liver that takes a beating it is the lungs of those that are sensitive to isocyanates, and it is directly attributable to airborne particles.

Rolling or brushing will in most all cases have no effect whatsoever on most every person. It is kind of like a bee sting.....

There are sometimes limited risks in the application of one of the best possible products.

I am not going to sugar coat this. A small amount of the population is highly sensitive to isocyanates, but I am not aware of anyone who has had a problem with rolling or brushing this product, but every person should read the MSDS for themselves to evaluate whether this is a product they want to apply.

I have applied several dozen gallons myself with nothing major to report except that I like to drink alcohol after spraying a few gallons in a day..

All of this taken into account, I love the stuff, I offer anyone good luck in finding a more durably economically sound product.

Superat stultitia.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:46 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Fair Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Has anyone used GACO? I just had some home roof repairs done on a flat roof and that is what my roofer has been using for 14 years with excellent results. Two-part primer and one part application, two coats.

Larry
I used GACO on my Argosy a few years back . Worked well to bring roof temps down and keep things sealed. It is chalking somewhat and leaving streaks. Might try sealing it at a later date.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:02 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1985 34' Sovereign
Nashville , Tennessee
Thumbs up

Wow I'd just like to say thanks to everyone who posted! I'm on a lot of special interest forums (too many hobbies!!) and I'm always amazed that any topic here seems to attract industry experts out of the woodwork. The experience of some people on this site is incredible.

It sounds like Imron and Truco/bus kote are the front runners, but that begs the next question: thin coating to keep access to the rivet lines? Or thicker coating for max sealing benefits?

Will Imron have any added sealing benefits at all? Will it form a membrane sealing over rivet heads, or just increase emissivity to lower roof temps?

Truco no doubt sounds like it WILL seal every small gap, but how difficult would it be to say cut out a small patch for a roof modification and then re-coat that spot? I plan to keep this thing for the long haul and I'm only 29 so future accessibility is something to consider.

Sounds like any of these options are durable with no chalking issues or other drama
Old 06-15-2016, 05:21 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post

Larry
es, not super happy with it. It may be fine in some applications, but I have had my deck fail with it.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:49 PM   #26

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Most folks will agree that the painted argosy trailers don't leak nearly as bad as airstreams, I think any type of paint will help seal the roof, high build probably isn't that critical
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:56 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
My take after stripping down to the bare shell on my 72 is that the riveted seams (other than the seam at the rear bumper) may weep a little wicked water over decades, but they don't leak.

Leaks come from windows, doors, vents, antenna mounts, etc.

The tiny amount that wicks through the roof and wall seams is all but meaningless in my opinion.

I calked the lines on the inside shell and otherwise paid this issue no mind. The paint on my roof is in place for one thing, to reflect heat.

Superat stultitia.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:23 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
none , none
I am leaning towards using Rustoleum Noxyde or Peganox on my rebuild, a 1977 Sovereign...