Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Wheel wells question

Is there a gasket between the outer aluminum skin and the plastic wheel well liner on the 70's models? Several rivets have sheered and before replacing them, I'd like to know if there is anything that should be done to assure water tightness. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:33 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
Is there a gasket between the outer aluminum skin and the plastic wheel well liner on the 70's models? Several rivets have sheered and before replacing them, I'd like to know if there is anything that should be done to assure water tightness. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
There must be sealer between the housing and the skin. I would suggest a dab of sealer in each rivet hole, and around the rivet shaft, as well as making sure the plastic housing's seal isn't broken where the rivets have sheared. Why did the rivets shear in the first place?
Old 06-10-2006, 01:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Uwe, I'm assuming they sheared over time with the movement of the trailer while being towed. It's a '72, and I fully expect to find rivets that have failed here and there. Aluminum will fatigue faster than steel under repeated motion...at least this has been my experience with aluminum vs. steel mountain bike frames!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:19 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
You might want to take close look at things around the wheel wells. If rivets sheared, then often there are associated issues with either the floor or elsewhere.
Good Luck!
Old 06-11-2006, 10:41 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Carbondale , Colorado
Exclamation Double skins on one side????

I just started doing some much needed repairs on my '68 Overlander as well. Polishing, rear end separation, you name it. You can't have too many things going on at once, you know! Anyway, on my one side of the A/S I noticed it looks like someone went over the outer skin at the wheel well area with another skin! Has anyone ever heard of doing that??? I'm pretty sure it was to add some sort of strength there as I have some outriggers that need to be replaced...three on that one side! (two partially there, one missing). Someone really botched this up. But 'lo and behold, I will fix it, with help! I still need to remove a bunch more rivets to find out what's what, but I will be doing work on my wheel well, also, and if there's any more advice...let's hear it! Thanks in advance!!!