Old 04-25-2012, 05:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Leaks are easily hidden. The way an Airstream is built, leaks run between the two skins and end up under the floor covering and rot the floor. So just because there are no outward signs of a leak does not mean you don't have any. The corners where the straight sections meet the curved sections are prime leak areas in the floor and the plate that goes under the back of the trailer. To the right of the door are prime areas as well.

Originally Posted by kds View Post
I LOVE all this info. GREAT! I have had no leaks, as of yet, so how do I know when it's time to reseal? Do I remove the old seal around the things on the roof?

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #16
2009 22' Sport
Columbus , Texas
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but thought my question (if answered) might help at this point. When I scraped my old caulk away, from roof penetrations (skylight and fan) and the awning rails, the caulk was sort of crumbly. It reminded me of very old window glass glazing putty. It was, for the most part, still white. When I went to remove the caulk around the plumbing stack- well, that was a different story. It was discoloured (black) like Robert's classic photo. It was also very much still elastic, and sticky. I needed to use the heat gun on this stuff, whereas I did not on the other.

So, who can say what were these two very different sealants? And is it really necessary to use two types?

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. - Michael Carr
JazzDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #17

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY

Can't find the post...but I think that question was answered several years ago when I did the black tank vent as the infamous "vulkem".
I think the new stuff is Sikaflex 721 UV, it's what Andy supplied when I got the new Skylight last year, but who knows it may have changed again.

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
According to 62Overlander Vulkem is Trempro-626 and not Trempro-635 as folks have said. Sikaflex is a different manufacture entirely. I believe both are polyurathane based. The 626 is supposed to have a longer working time but is not as strong as the 635 according to the specs. I prefer the 635 but if I needed longer working time like restorers do installing large panels then I would use the 626. I have several places on my trailer where I have had to remove the old Vulkem and the stuff shrinks and gets hard. I can't say what the long term is on the newer materials. Time will tell.

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote