Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Topside dents

Adding to my list of projects for this summer--or next.

The previous owner apparently had some trouble backing the 350, even with the camera, and left a couple of dents in the top driver's side rear panel adjacent the camera--just out of the lens field of vision. I assume (dangerous, I know) that the fiberglass (?) pan on the inside will need to come out to get to the inside of the dents when repairing. Has anyone done this job, and if so, how does the pan come out?

Also, there are a few (OK, more than a few) scratches along the sides which appear only to have scrateched the plasticote (or whatever) and can be buffed out to remove the aluminum oxide and then recoated presumably by spraying. Ditto the paint stripe. Is there a stabndard source for the paint stripe color paints, and can they be purchased in small amounts, like a pint, or better yet, a paint stick??
ralley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralley
Adding to my list of projects for this summer--or next.

and left a couple of dents in the top driver's side rear panel adjacent the camera--just out of the lens field of vision.
Also, there are a few (OK, more than a few) scratches along the sides which appear only to have scrateched the plasticote (or whatever) and can be buffed out to remove the aluminum oxide and then recoated presumably by spraying. Ditto the paint stripe. Is there a stabndard source for the paint stripe color paints, and can they be purchased in small amounts, like a pint, or better yet, a paint stick??
Pictures would really help with the exact location, and size of the dent. Is the dent creased? Is it near a seam? Is it part of a series of dents or a solo? These and more are the questions needed to be answered before a really good answer can be given. I have taken dents out with no more than a suction cup, others I have had to push out from the inside and then there are those that require the old rivet and pull method. Finally there is the name your dent method for the impossible ones.
As for the paint match my 280 has a grey trim and I have used Rust-OLeum Dark Gray for a match it is available in both spray and cans. The clear coat is more of a problem. The best I have come up with is a product by Krylon #1313 Clear Satin Finish. Make certain all wax has been removed prior to spraying and protect from overspray since that will peel off. Several light coats work better than one heavy coat, even then this is not perfect.
Good luck with your project.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:23 PM   #3

1969 18' Caravel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I had a large (20" wide x 6" tall) repaired on my '69 Caravel by a paintless dent removal company. They used various suction devices and some "massaging" and completely removed the dent. They also pulled out a few minor dents. These companies ususally work on hail damage.
sjsery is offline   Reply With Quote