Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Skylight Screws Overtightened causing Cracks

Discovered that I had a leak coming from the skylight after the last two heavy rains we had. When I got on a ladder to take a close look , I found that the screws securing the skylight had been torqued down to tight causing cracks on almost all of them. There was also a crack in at least one corner. I called the dealer and they said that they've had a number of new Airstreams back in for the same problem. Might be a good idea if you have a relatively new Airstream to take a good look at your skylight. Mine took over a year to start leaking and you have to look closely at the screws because all the caulk they use to cover the screw heads hides the cracks somewhat.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:05 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Does that mean they will fix?
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Had the same problem and both were fixed under warranty.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
Cracks

I better check my skylight when I wax the camper this weekend. If it were not for this blog I would not have had the tank vent hole properly covered and sealed, under warranty.
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:41 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Unfortunately mine didn't start leaking until 3 months after the warranty expired. Yes it was cracked at the screw.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Received a new skylight from Colonial today,via UPS with stainless screws and rubber grommets. I'll do the replacement myself. Hows that for a fast response? I just called them yesterday!!
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:00 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
Chewelah , Washington
Cracked in Palm Springs

We have had our 2005 34' for going 2 years. I bought it on consignment in Spokane,WA. GREAT DEALER,SERVICE DEPT. Unfortunately though it rained here in Palm Springs for the first time in 2 years. During a pretty good down pour we noticewd a drip coming from the living room skylight. (Damn) The following day the sun returned and I climbed up to check, sure enough the skylight was cracked at every screw hole and broken from fatigue the entire length across the front and back. I applied some silicone sealer to it and crossed my fingers. Now a week later it set a record yesterday for rain here in the valley 2"+ in a 24 hour period. We got our drip back and now the wall beside the dinette and the floor by the front door were wet. I had known of the problem from the first incident so I started searching the forum for help. I found it in the form of The Out of doors Mart. Here is a link to their store Out-of-Doors Mart Very good store and great web page for Airstream owners. I ordered the Skylight kit and plan on replacing it as soon as it arrives.
dan50w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50w View Post
We have had our 2005 34' for going 2 years. I bought it on consignment in Spokane,WA. GREAT DEALER,SERVICE DEPT. Unfortunately though it rained here in Palm Springs for the first time in 2 years. During a pretty good down pour we noticewd a drip coming from the living room skylight. (Damn) The following day the sun returned and I climbed up to check, sure enough the skylight was cracked at every screw hole and broken from fatigue the entire length across the front and back. I applied some silicone sealer to it and crossed my fingers. Now a week later it set a record yesterday for rain here in the valley 2"+ in a 24 hour period. We got our drip back and now the wall beside the dinette and the floor by the front door were wet. I had known of the problem from the first incident so I started searching the forum for help. I found it in the form of The Out of doors Mart. Here is a link to their store Out-of-Doors Mart Very good store and great web page for Airstream owners. I ordered the Skylight kit and plan on replacing it as soon as it arrives.
I believe that's the same skylight as you already have.

We are the only company that makes the after market skylights that use different materials, and that have a thermal barrier, as well as being twice as thick.

Part of the problems with the original skylights is that they are too thin, and the material breaks down in the sun. Replacing them with the factory unit, asks for the same problems again, but down the road.

We suggested way back that Airstream change the design, but, it' still the same.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote