Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Silver coating on roof

Hi guys, and ladies.

I was looking at a possible airstream to purchase recently and noticed it had a silver/gray coating on a good portion of the roof. Sorry I don't have a picture of it but its not caulking, its a type of paint or coating. I reviewed the numerous postings here but I'm still not sure what this stuff is and what to do about it, if anything. I have to assume it was put there to prevent or stop leaks, etc. The more important question is, what if I do find a leak. Do I take it off, prep, and recover with something better like I've seen posted on this forum. Or, prep the surface and add some additional product similar to what is there for now. Any and all comments and info is appreciated. This forum continues to be a MOUNTAIN of good information and friendly people.

Thanks,

Rlmm.
rlmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
What year is it? It could also be a reflective coating. Sounds like aftermarket to me.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Older trailer, 1964. PO stated it was put there to coat, seal, and protect roof ? Whatever that means, exactly
Old 11-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Not factory. A PO must have put it there. Me, I would wait and see if it leaks but I am one lazy SOB. Out of sight of mind. Or hit the roof with a garden hose and see what happens.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Thanks for the suggestion Lumatic. If indeed a leak is present, what then, remove, add similar material, etc. The issue I have with water leaks is they seem to have a mind of their own. Meaning, the source of the leak could be a seam or a rivet but where the water shows up inside could be in a somewhat different place as water travels its own route. In addition, one thing I liked about the alum rivet style trailers is I was hopeful roof leaks and issues would be minimal or non issues because of the design. Other RV's have rubber, and all other manner of problems and wood to rot, too. What I appear to be finding i these trailers too may have roof issues, just a different sort. Am I wrong ? Im speaking mostly of vintage trailers I should add.
Thanks,
Rlmm
Old 11-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If the roof is leaking as you pointed out you have several options. Striping the old stuff off the roof could be a bear.

Your right about tracking down a leak. I had a few Airstreams and I never had a roof seam leak, but it could happen. Leaks are more likely around vents, windows and compartment openings. Some folks will pressurize their trailers and look for the leak source on the outside. I never have.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Terrace , British Columbia
I stripped mine.

Hello. I to had a silver / textured coating on my trailer. I stripped it off with air craft stripper. It was a real chore...2 days of scrapping toxic goop. If it is not failing and is still stuck on there pretty good. You could probably scrub it up. And put a new roof coating over top. There are many on the market. You want the white rubber type kind. Kool Coat is one. If you do a search you will find lots of threads on this subject.

Jon

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f417...1-a-94006.html
jonplayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Thanks allot for the suggestions, everybody. Much appreciated.

Rlmm
Old 11-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I'm guessing but the stuff on your roof is probably something like this.... Henry 4.75-Gal. 555 Premium Aluminum Roof Coating-HE555019 at The Home Depot

If you want to remove it, you may try contacting the manufacturer to see what they recommend. Otherwise, like Lumatic said, out of sight out of mind!