Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
SAFFORD RV SERVICE - Was it worth it?

Please view these 3 videos and tell me what you think. What are your experiences with getting your Airstream caulked and sealed for leaks? Does it look like this?

Granted Airstream does sloppy work, but I think Safford RV tops them here. Is this $125/hr. work? If so, I'd should be an RV tech instead of an engineer.

They also killed my battery by running the radio and not turning it off. The service rep noticed the radio was running, but just switched the battery isolator to "Store". They didn't recharge the battery and I had to use my 7-pin cable from the truck to operate the jack to get it off the lot.

What do you think I should do now?
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I would take it back and bring it to attention of the owner,that looks like crap. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle View Post
Please view these 3 videos and tell me what you think. What are your experiences with getting your Airstream caulked and sealed for leaks? Does it look like this?

Granted Airstream does sloppy work, but I think Safford RV tops them here. Is this $125/hr. work? If so, I'd should be an RV tech instead of an engineer.

They also killed my battery by running the radio and not turning it off. The service rep noticed the radio was running, but just switched the battery isolator to "Store". They didn't recharge the battery and I had to use my 7-pin cable from the truck to operate the jack to get it off the lot.

What do you think I should do now?
That sealing job, is horrorable. Next, it won't stop an AC rain water leak.

People indeed make mistakes, but slop is not a mistake.

I would take it back, and let the owner see it, or your video's.

Then I would tell him, that since it was done so poorly, certainly they can't remove it with any quality.

Inform them that you will take it someplace else, have the sealer removed, "at their expense".

Then get to the bottom of what the leak problem was in the first place.

I would also see to it that Airstream be shown those video's.

They need to know what dealers can, as well as can't do.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I'd also tell the owner if he values customer referals, he should either fix it right, or step up to the plate and refund your money so you can pay to have it done by a pro. Hell, the owner would be welcome to check this thread and see what we all think of that crappy job! I agree with Andy, Airstream should know about this.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Tuttle , Oklahoma
I just re-sealed the a/c unit on my 78 Excella.
Here is what I think and this is from experience. My a/c cover had a similar "seal job".
There is no need of the sealant around the perimeter of the cover, in fact it is probably better not sealed.
There are no entry points for water or anything else at the perimeter of the cover. It is just that a cover.
The top of the trailer is crowned/curved and the cover is actually below the height of the a/c through hole. A good seal is necessary around the part that goes through the top but not on the perimeter of the cover. That is actually better left free to drain any water unimpeded that does find it's way inside the cover .
Now your model may be different but I doubt it is.
This looks like more of the "glob a bunch of sealant on it so it won't leak" method.
It doesn't work, it isn't necessary and it is a PITA to clean up so it can be done right.
If water entry into the cover was a problem you would need to seal off all the vents and openings not just the bottom edge.
1bbboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International CCD
Leesburg , Virginia
Oh, man, either a 10-year-old did that, or a blindfolded adult did it. That's awful! We live in Northern Virginia, and you can be sure that we will be making the four-hour trip up to Colonial in New Jersey should our new Airstream need any work, after seeing these videos. You should absolutely make Airstream aware of this, especially for the steep price you paid!
WBCCI #2515
TAC #VA-9
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING....RIGHT?

That is one of the WORST sealing jobs I have ever seen , and as mentioned before:

YOU DON'T USE ANY SEALANT ON A ROOF AIR UNIT !!!

I would take it right back there and tell them what you have learned about NOT using sealant on a roof air (ask them to show you where in ANY installation manual for a Dometic roof air that it specifies the use of sealants) and then do what Andy suggested, as they obviously incapable of any quality work......especially at $125 an hour!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Spotsylvania , Virginia
I'm confused! I understand the logic about not sealing the A/C cover. But Airstream had sealed around it in the first place. Why did the manufacturer do this? Safford was supposed to remove the original caulk and reinstall.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
Old 10-27-2010, 04:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Did I hear you say "1,000 bucks" at the end of the video? I agree about the 10 year old. They bought him an ice cream cone and pocketed the profit. Shameful.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle View Post
I'm confused! I understand the logic about not sealing the A/C cover. But Airstream had sealed around it in the first place. Why did the manufacturer do this? Safford was supposed to remove the original caulk and reinstall.
The AC covers are held in place with screws on the very top side.

The only reason (dumb) the factory would have to run a bead of sealer at the bottom, "would be to stop the cover from fluttering" during highway speeds.

That is one of the failure reasons for the older covers.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I'm going to remove both my covers today to clean them, sure glad the hamhands did not install my roof airs!
Old 10-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
We purchased both our 2003 23' International and 2008 Safari 27FBSE from Safford.

We had Safford RV re-seal all of the openings on the top of our AS when we started experiencing leaks. Didn't bother to go up to look at the work, even after it continued to leak. Took it back to the Mother ship. They didn't do any better.
Took it to an independent shop, RB Taylor in Lynchburg (our prior home) and they got it right.

In listening to the technician at Safford, I found out that he had never worked on AS's before but had recently been hired away from Rolling Hills RV in Ashland VA. (The reviews I've seen on Rolling Hills makes me want to steer clear of them as well). My assumption is that Safford had complete turnover in their technicians and solved that dilema by hiring the Rolling Hills folks.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #13

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
Unfortunately, with Airstreams STUPID demand that we purchase all parts, and have all service done by, an "Authorized/Certified AS Dealer" we're left to deal with idiots like the one that did that jewel of a job! Andy, and many others out there, are great people to have work done by and get advice... Airstream really needs to tighten up their dealer standards and work more with owners directly.
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENovaters View Post
Unfortunately, with Airstreams STUPID demand that we purchase all parts, and have all service done by, an "Authorized/Certified AS Dealer" we're left to deal with idiots like the one that did that jewel of a job! Andy, and many others out there, are great people to have work done by and get advice... Airstream really needs to tighten up their dealer standards and work more with owners directly.
Agreed, what we've found over the years, is most of the techs that really knew their stuff have retired. The days of Airstream only dealers are about over, how many folks per week walk in and plunk down $$$$$? Dealers have to be much more diversified these days to keep the doors open. I pine for the days when we had a dealer in Seattle/Tacoma and Boise that had a stash of parts in stock (no waiting) and guys that had to do no head scratching.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
That is probably the worst caulking job that I have ever seen. I agree in that it does look like it was done by a 10 year old or an adult with a 10 year old mentality. With an idiot doing the work, why did his supervisor not inspect the work to make sure it was done correctly? Or maybe he did. Hey, caulking is really easy, you just have to take your time and be careful.

I agree that they owe you a refund.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Spotsylvania , Virginia
Thanks all for the responses.

Yes, it cost $1000. Some was for shimming and adjusting the door, but the rest was for the job I videoed. I'm sure for the job, they got one of their most junior unskilled labor. That's a lot of profit. I did pay by VISA, so I got some leverage.

They also killed my battery by leaving the radio on and it will NOT charge back up. I'm charging directly to the battery because the DC solenoid won't operate below 10.5 VDC. It's a 228 Ah scubber/sweeper battery for Boondocking. It's about $300 and I will expect them to replace it due to their negligence.

I'll probably call the owner/supervisor at Safford tomorrow. I hope they will be responsive. I'll keep you all updated.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
Old 10-28-2010, 08:29 AM   #17
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Good luck, neighbor. We're pulling for you.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #18

Currently Looking...
Stafford , Virginia
I'm new and glad I saw this forum. Safford is the closest dealer to us as we live in Stafford. Still thinking about buying a camper and like what I've seen in my research on the AS brand. But I will definately steer clear from purchasing from Safford. Thanks for sharing your expierence.
Ducking Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #19
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
To Ducking Out:
We live in Locust Grove, probably 20 miles or so from you. As I said in my earlier post, we purchased our first and second AS's from Safford. The sales cycle was a very good experience. Service there is a whole other matter (from our experience).
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:11 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Spotsylvania , Virginia
Hi All,

I talked to the Safford service manager yesterday about the work. He has seen this thread. The meeting was cordial and we agreed that the roof work needed to be redone and I am taking the trailer in this morning to have it corrected.

He also agreed to replace my deep-cycle battery.

I don't want to steer people away from SAFFORD RV, but I think this thread has been useful in that it got their attention and will hopefully remind them that loyal customers are what keep them in business. From my meeting yesterday, they seem to want to make things right.

I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

Bob
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430