Old 10-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
That is probably the worst caulking job that I have ever seen. I agree in that it does look like it was done by a 10 year old or an adult with a 10 year old mentality. With an idiot doing the work, why did his supervisor not inspect the work to make sure it was done correctly? Or maybe he did. Hey, caulking is really easy, you just have to take your time and be careful.

I agree that they owe you a refund.

Dan

Old 10-27-2010, 03:14 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Thanks all for the responses.

Yes, it cost $1000. Some was for shimming and adjusting the door, but the rest was for the job I videoed. I'm sure for the job, they got one of their most junior unskilled labor. That's a lot of profit. I did pay by VISA, so I got some leverage.

They also killed my battery by leaving the radio on and it will NOT charge back up. I'm charging directly to the battery because the DC solenoid won't operate below 10.5 VDC. It's a 228 Ah scubber/sweeper battery for Boondocking. It's about $300 and I will expect them to replace it due to their negligence.

I'll probably call the owner/supervisor at Safford tomorrow. I hope they will be responsive. I'll keep you all updated.

2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:29 AM   #17
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Good luck, neighbor. We're pulling for you.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #18

Currently Looking...
Stafford , Virginia
I'm new and glad I saw this forum. Safford is the closest dealer to us as we live in Stafford. Still thinking about buying a camper and like what I've seen in my research on the AS brand. But I will definately steer clear from purchasing from Safford. Thanks for sharing your expierence.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #19
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Locust Grove , Virginia
To Ducking Out:
We live in Locust Grove, probably 20 miles or so from you. As I said in my earlier post, we purchased our first and second AS's from Safford. The sales cycle was a very good experience. Service there is a whole other matter (from our experience).
2010 TREK 2.3

Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:11 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Spotsylvania , Virginia
Hi All,

I talked to the Safford service manager yesterday about the work. He has seen this thread. The meeting was cordial and we agreed that the roof work needed to be redone and I am taking the trailer in this morning to have it corrected.

He also agreed to replace my deep-cycle battery.

I don't want to steer people away from SAFFORD RV, but I think this thread has been useful in that it got their attention and will hopefully remind them that loyal customers are what keep them in business. From my meeting yesterday, they seem to want to make things right.

I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

Bob
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
Old 10-29-2010, 05:31 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International CCD
Leesburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducking Out View Post
I'm new and glad I saw this forum. Safford is the closest dealer to us as we live in Stafford. Still thinking about buying a camper and like what I've seen in my research on the AS brand. But I will definately steer clear from purchasing from Safford. Thanks for sharing your expierence.
We initially looked at Safford because that is, by far, the closest dealer to us as well, but ended up driving up to NJ to look at Colonial Airstream. They have a huge selection (over 60 in stock), and one of every model, size, and trim line, and they were awesome to work with. We bought ours from them in July. We trust their service department also.
WBCCI #2515
TAC #VA-9
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:08 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
What do you think I should do now?

I think you have started in the right direction by posting your videos of the work done at Safford RV.

A complaint like yours goes a long way with when it comes to considering whether or not to buy from a dealer or have work done by that same dealer. Contact them and let them know their reputation is in jeopardy.

I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a newer model or at least a newer used model airstream and I doubt Safford would get my business. I'ld probably travel to Colonial Airstream in N.J.

At least you've convinced me to stay away from Safford for any kind of service work. Plus with the older models I own I would be more likely to use a service like Frank's Trailer Works in Baltimore.

Res nolunt diu male administrari.

WDCU Unit #170
Air #7085

TAC VA-4
WBCCI #2641
VAC
71 Caravel
69 Tradewind

My YouTube Channel
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
rseagle,
that's great news! one of the best signs of a good business (after not making errors) is how errors get corrected. this gives the dealer an opportunity to review their work and make the changes needed to see things like this don't happen again.

keep us posted!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:39 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Spotsylvania , Virginia
I just got my trailer back from Safford RV. Paul Sweeney, Director of Parts and Service, ensured that the work was done correctly this time.

The caulking around the air conditioner was removed to allow for proper drainage. He mentioned that it was their oversight and should have advised against the caulking in the first place.

Also, all the sealant drips and runs were cleaned up and the work around the penetrations (fans, vents, antennas and gutters) was redone. They even wiped down the roof to remove any debris.

They replaced my damaged 228 Ah Deep Cycle industrial scrubber/sweeper battery with a new one from Batteries Plus.

So, all in all, I'm happy that things worked out well in the end. Safford RV stepped up and did what needed to be done to take care of this situation. I'll continue to use Safford RV for my Airstream Service in the future. But this episode has made me wiser and I'll make sure to inspect the work before I leave the lot next time.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
Old 11-11-2010, 07:13 AM   #25

Currently Looking...
Stafford , Virginia
Glad to hear all worked out for you.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:03 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
I know this is a bit old but what happened to the video's, they appear they have been deleted.. was that a part of the deal, they fix the screws up and you take the video down??

they should have let you shot new video showing the repairs and how they stepped up the plate to make it right.. now it looks a bit suspect. so what is "the rest of the story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle View Post
I just got my trailer back from Safford RV. Paul Sweeney, Director of Parts and Service, ensured that the work was done correctly this time.

The caulking around the air conditioner was removed to allow for proper drainage. He mentioned that it was their oversight and should have advised against the caulking in the first place.

Also, all the sealant drips and runs were cleaned up and the work around the penetrations (fans, vents, antennas and gutters) was redone. They even wiped down the roof to remove any debris.

They replaced my damaged 228 Ah Deep Cycle industrial scrubber/sweeper battery with a new one from Batteries Plus.

So, all in all, I'm happy that things worked out well in the end. Safford RV stepped up and did what needed to be done to take care of this situation. I'll continue to use Safford RV for my Airstream Service in the future. But this episode has made me wiser and I'll make sure to inspect the work before I leave the lot next time.

TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote