Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2005, 11:13 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Limited
Prospect , Tennessee
Roof Strength

This is probqbly covered already somewhere else in the Forum, but as I am new at this I couldn't find the info. I submitted this thread but it didn't look like it "took" so I am trying again. Pardon me if you saw it already.

I need to get on the roof to repair the vents/blower fans and when I put a little weight between the rivits on the roof sections (when I was repairing a bath fan) I felt a little flexing. I may also need to do a little air conditioning work. How strong is the roof and what is the best way to support a person's weight when getting up there to do repairs.

Thanks,

Lee
Lee Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:31 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Reverse rolltop topper fixer

Lee,

I've just been dealing with this issue on my trailer. I sandwiched a piece of canvas between lots of 2"x40" strips of wood to a make a sort of tambour piece to lay across the top of the 'stream... Plywood would work, I just used some scrap. To describe this better I laid out half the wood with 1" spaces between the strips, put the canvas over this wood, then put another layer of wood strips over the canvas aligned with the ones below and screwed down through the canvas into the wood below. This was pretty quick to make and conforms to the top of the trailer to distribute my weight to the ribs. If you need a picture I can send it.

This might be more complicated than you are looking for, but if you are doing real work up there and want to avoid the expense of one of those fancy ladders... I suppose the weight of the worker might be an issue too, I am about 170 lbs and my trailer doesn't seem to mind.

Carlos Ferguson
jcferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

The roof is very strong and you won't cave it in. JUST BE CAREFULL it's a long way to the ground. DON'T step on the end segments (the curved panels at each end) don't put your knee on the curved edge to crawl onto the roof unless it is on a rib, you will dent it. When I go on the roof I keep my feet on the ribs just to be safe. Those little rivits give a bit of traction.
There is a lot on this subject located on this forum.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Lee Davis,

I have two aluminum ladders that I wrap with old carpet pieces and duct tape which I lean up again the awnings. The awnings support my 190lbs just fine.
Then I have some 2x8's with carpet on them that I can lay down bridging two trusses. I can lean forward on the ladder and support my upper body with the boards and do most work that I have had to do.

I had one vent installed last year at international and the jacklegs there got on my roof while I was gone and I ended up with slight dents. They were contractors for Fantastic Fan company.

If you are walking or kneeling on your roof trying to stay on the ribs/trusses and work, it is just a matter of time until you get distracted and your knee or toes will dent the top. That's what Fantastic did to my roof!
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote