Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

ARLINGTON , Texas
Roof repair

About a year ago we had a second A/C installed in our 97 34' classic by North Dallas RV in Carrollton, TX as they were highly recommended. We had them move the fantastic fan from the bedroom the bathroom and install a second A/C put in the same spot the fan came out of. The fantastic fan in the bathroom works great and really pulls air from both ends of the trailer and removes all the moisture for the shower ect... Now for the problem, I purchased the vent cover from fantastic fan and when I got on the roof to install it, I was shocked at what i found. When the fan was moved from the bedroom to the bathroom, North Dallas RV maintenance personnel just took a pair of tin snips and cut a hole in the roof that looked like a first grader learning to cut holes would do. To add insult to injury, they broke the fan housing while moving it, then installed it with absolutely no screws what so ever, and just coated the top of the trailer with what looked like mastic that an a/c guy would use. When I removed the mastic, I found a mess that would make you sick. My solution was to get two A & P's (aircraft mechanics) and we removed their mess, cut a new patch panel, installed nut plates that the fan screws down to and riveted the new panel down. It would take a very trained eye to tell this was not done at the factory itself. I use aircraft fuel tank sealer to seal the new panel which will never leak and installed rivets just like Airstream use's to put on the panel. While it may be over engineered to most, the other aviation people on the forum would really appreciate the effort. I will post pictures later.
HighFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I know the problem.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Kinda like a movie trailer! I can't wait on the pictures.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlying View Post
I will post pictures later.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1974 25' Tradewind
1973 31' Sovereign
Charlottesville , Virginia
Talk about doing it right! Hats off and I hope you wrote those nincompoops a letter.
ASIcons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

ARLINGTON , Texas
New Panel for roof

These are the pictures of the mess I found on my roof, along with pictures of the new panel I made to fix the issue. After the sealer has cured I will be repainting the complete roof, which should make it look brand new.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mess that i found.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	168912

Name:	Hole found in roof.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	168913

Name:	New patch panel and fan.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	168914

Name:	INstalled and sealed.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	168915
Old 09-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Obviously, most people who work on RVs are not aircraft mechanics. Good patch job; makes you want to do it yourself next time. I guess that's why the old folks always said, "If you want it done right, do it yourself." Lots of old sayings make more sense as retirement age approaches...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:59 AM   #7
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
HF, I had a similar experience with a non-Airstream repair shop. I might even say they were hostile, especially when I asserted my view of their shoddy work.

I set all of that aside, moved on. I called Fantastic Vent people. I explained how these jokers wrecked the vent's interior bezel. Like you said, it looked like child's play with a pair of dull tin snips. Fantastic Vent sent a new bezel, free of charge. How about that!? Same happened to my full-timing friend, with a 94 Chinook.

I have found very dissatisfying results with any shop in town, except the man who repaired my fridge core and checked out my furnace. My experience tells me no one is going to care about my vintage Trade Wind like I do, actually, not at all.

The last shop owner here to have actually worked on vintage Airstreams before they were vintage died four or five years ago. He was nice and had a long memory of the construction and systems unique to Airstream.

The high cost of labor plus parts that are likely to be damaged are not worth it. I suppose they would rather sell something new. I might travel and camp in a big paper and particleboard box, but only if someone gave it to me. No other make can claim over 70% ever made are still in use.
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Excellent repair. It's terrible that they messed your roof up, but a terrific fix. With American Airlines closing the Wichita maintenance base, maybe this is an opportunity for some enterprising experts to set up a high quality Airstream maintenance and modification facility!
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
This is a perfect example why I do everything myself.

Glad you go it fixed right. It looks good.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

ARLINGTON , Texas
Seems to be a common problem with technicians not taking pride in their work. This repair really did not take us that long to do. And the comment about the American Airlines guys starting to do this type of work, your right they would make most any repair done by the local shops pale by comparison. The next time I think I'm to busy to do the job myself, I'll look at these pictures again, which will help me make time to do it myself. One would think that if all you worked on was Airstreams, they should have been up to the task. Thanks again to everyone for the vote of confidence.