Old 02-01-2005, 09:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Elgin , Texas
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
The other "blasting" method of stripping I have been told works with really good results is called soda blasting. It uses baking soda, the particles are-so fine that the heat issue is resolved. This is the preferred method for stripping paint off of aircraft. They have many nooks and crannies that a liquids could penetrate on smaller aircraft, so the soda blasting is used. It would offer the control of only stripping what you want to strip and there would be no toxic leftovers for the process.
I've read a little on this, and also using wheat starch as blasting media. I ran across it a while back and found it in some military aircraft stripping studies where they were determining the environmental impacts of various stripping methods. I'll see if I can run down the link and post it here.

Thing is, I don't know where you could buy enough starch or soda in bulk to do the job. Given a choice between the two I think I'd pick the starch over the soda - since I'd be doing this outdoors I don't know what the soda would do to the acidity of the soil in my yard - would hate to kill all the grass.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Elgin , Texas
wheat starch info

I believe the baking soda blasting is also addressed somewhere in this same publication.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:34 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
I would have preferred my MH to have been oxidized aluminum rather than painted with metallic silver, because the paint job was done wrong and is starting to peel off in areas. I bought it painted, and it must have been done pretty close to the time I bought it because it looked great. But as Andy said, a few months later it started to fail. If painting, make sure it's done right as it should for aluminum. Like I said, I would rather have all the clearcoat off, and aluminum oxidized, which is not a bad thing, than have peeled sides showing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Paint peel.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	10290  

1992 Airstream 300LE, rear queen, Banks Power!
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote