Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
2018 27' Flying Cloud
Mount Aukum , California
Question Roof Access

Can anyone suggest the best way to access the roof on a Flying Cloud? I know that the end-caps are off-limits, I can see that; but should I lean an extension ladder (with padding of course) against an awning roller or use a step-ladder right next to the trailer and step across? I don't care to experiment on our first Airstream. Thanks.
bird_dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
On the factory tour they say to get on the roof on the awning side. I think that's so the awning can catch your foot if you slip. I've used a step ladder, with someone holding it as I step on and off the ladder. I've also used a ladder leaning on the awning with the ladder very vertical and the foot braced.

Only stand on rivet lines.

Don't wear golf shoes.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Scaffold-Pic

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f478...oof-66345.html
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I have a Little Giant ladder (the 22 footer that is very stable) that I use to get up on my 68. I have found it best to lean it against the awning with the angle not too steep. I extend the ladder far enough so that I have at least 4 or 5 feet of ladder above the top of the trailer. I can just step over and onto the roof without any dangerous leaning of stretching. Position the ladder so that when you step off you will be on a rib. I tried setting it up as and A frame ladder but I find it much easier and safer to do it the way described. One caution, when you have a length of ladder above the awning and if you stand on that and lean into the ladder the awning will act as a fulcrum and can cause the feet of the ladder to slide away from the trailer. Have someone on the ground the first time you climb up just to be safe.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:09 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I have had to get on and off my roof quite a few times. I place my 10' step ladder right next to the right side of trailer. My wife stand on the bottom step. I always place a 3' x 3' piece of plywood on the roof and then carefully step or crawl onto the plywood. The plywood is intended to distribute my weight so no dents are put on the roof.

I've never had the slightest problem with this approach.
mistermcfrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:34 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Fort Worth , Texas
I just installed a fantastic fan yesterday. I chose to go with scaffolding and a homemade airstream plank. The plank was a box of 8ftx18" 2x4, with a ~18"x18" plywood foot on the end, and skinned on the top with 1/2" plywood. Padded the plank with sacrificial pool noodle.

mansaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Who has that kind of stuff lying around for a roof project???
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
scaffolds

I have used an extension ladder leaned against the awning rail many times, but it's always a little iffy (especially when old and heavy as me)when stepping around the top of the ladder onto the roof, even when someone is holding the ladder.
I use a step ladder just for working around the perimeter, but never to get on top. I would not use a step ladder and step across the void. That is a good way to learn how to not fly .
The safest way to get on top of the Airstream is to use scaffold. I lay a quilted pad on the roof to prevent scratches, then lay a 2x4 on top of that to distribute the load across several ribs. Then I use scaffold boards to create a bridge. It takes me about a half hour to do the set up shown in the photos. I did this when I replaced the AC pan by myself. If I'm caulking around a fan I scaffold on one side and only use one board.
Since I was a general contractor before I retired, I own enough scaffold and boards to do this. If anyone does not have their own, a two sides setup like mine can be rented (in my area) for around $100-$150 for a week. A lot cheaper than the cost of a broken neck or a funeral!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 ac - scaffold in prep to repair ac leak.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	553.9 KB
ID:	215705

Click image for larger version

Name:	2 ac - scaffold from top.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	355.2 KB
ID:	215706
Old 07-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Fort Worth , Texas
I borrowed it from a friend. Which of course meaning fixing it prior to using it.

I checked on craigslist and there is a endless supply of used scaffolding available. Figure about $75-150 per unit. If you had to buy it for $300, and turn around and sell it for half, it'd still be worth it.

There's plenty of work to do on the roof. Resealing, new vents, new ac cover, replace old wineguard antenna and put a little Jack tower in (no crank up), solar, repainting. The more time you spend up there the more you'll find to work on.
mansaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
@ ---> A W Warn

That's my favorite ever. Thanks for posting.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
On my ASCL 31' I use a 10' ladder on the curb side leaning against the small but substantial gutter at the top of the bedroom window. I wrap a towel/rag around one of the upper ladder rungs that contacts the gutter so that no aberration occurs to the gutter. This ladder position against the window gutter keeps the ladder from contacting the awning just above the gutter. The upper rung of the ladder extends just a few inches above the AS roof and allows me to easily carefully crawl on and off without risk.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #12
Superannuated Member

2001 19' Bambi
Beaver Lake , Arkansas
Man, this thread is just what I was looking for. I was just wondering how to get up there and sure enough somebody already figured it out for me. Thanks for the pics.
Aironius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:14 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
I use a 6' step ladder and lean the middle of the top against one of the ribs of the side. When I am standing on top of the ladder I can put my knee on top of the main awning and then up to the top. I stay on my knees because of a balance problem I have also I stay on the rivet lines.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Mandeville , Alabama
Use that foam that roofers use! For nonskid and comfort, it's the ticket for working on the roof! 2 pcs - one to work and sit on & the other for the next go-to spot! They also distribute your weight, less pressure points!!
Natty Lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I put my ladder against the door gutter.I wrap the ladder where it contacts the gutter with duct tape so there is no scratching,I cut a 2x12 30 inches long and covered it in carpet,I use this to span the rivet line supports to sit on while working on the roof.This works great for me.Simple
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote