Old 10-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Winder , Georgia
removing white roof sealant?

So PO put a massive 4" seam of ugly white sealant, and in places has black (looks like a tar type substance) underneath. The application was not very clean (my 5 year old could have done better with crayons). Has anyone attempted to remove such a compound and re-sealed? if so how was it removed and what was used to seal the seams? On helicopters we use a two part sealant that is flexible and last for a long time (if mixed right) on both bare aluminum and painted surfaces. Would this be ok to use? or something close to it? or should I try the same type substance with recommended 2" either side of seam? thanks for the help!!
Sid

Old 10-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Winder , Georgia
Need help please!!!

Old 10-13-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Well, I'll take a stab at it. To remove use a hair dryer or CAREFULLY use a heat gun to soften the old sealer, and scrape with preferably plasitc scraper. I would use brakeclean to get the last bits and prep the surface.
To reapply, there are lots of opinions and options. I would use a polyurethane based product. A self leveling liquid is good for those flanged items like vents. Tape off the area and extend the sealer perhaps 3/4 - 1 inch onto the roof. Perhaps a dicor product (there are others).

For smaller gaps, like awning gutters, I'd use Vulcum or equivelent. (I believe there have been some name changes lately) You want UV resistant products on the roof, they last longer.

Many opinions on this, most not wrong, just a lot of preferred products and methods.

Use the search function and read up. There's a lot of info posted.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Tub City , British Columbia
I have had good results with Eternabond.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...tml#post896205

Dave