Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Maumelle , Arkansas
Removing Black Roofing Sealant????

I have just purchased a 1963 Tradewind. It is in pretty good shape. One of the big things on my to-do list is the rear vent. The rear vent is missing the cover and the fan, so I was going to replace it with a new Fan-tastic fan.

The problem is that a PO at some point put black roofing sealer all around anything that looked like it was going to leak. This stuff is now covering all of the rivets that I need to get to in order to swap the vent and is very hard.

Has anyone had any experience in removing this stuff. I would hate to have to take a grinder or a chisel to it. Just looking for some non-destructive advise.
kaferboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
It's science experiement time!

It MIGHT be tar. Try a hair dryer - or heat gun, but be careful. If it softens, take off as much as possible with a wooden or plastic scraper so as not to gouge the metal.

Some things soften with oil. Use a few drops of machine oil on one small area, wait 30 min. and see what happens.

WD-40. It works on so much, try a spot - again give it time to work - then try to wipe it off.

Aircraft Stripper - designed to take off clear coat. This stuff is wicked bad, but will strip a lot of stuff.

Well there is a starting list.

Good luck, Paula
Old 07-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1969 27' Overlander
Wichita , Kansas
Roof Issues

I am new at this myself. Having searched for two years I found my AS last month in Arkansas. Not knowing how to buy one or knowing about AirForums web site,or how to restore I have taken the project full swing. Anyway when I returned home and started to clean. I took a peak at the roof, Man was I well never mind.

I lost my job little over a year ago and one of the products I sold is great for removel of tar. If you would like here is the name of the product and the company number -- HouseGuard 1-800-560-3701. Ask for someone in sales and express you would like info on the product ""T.H.A.T"" clean. you might order One gallon. You will use it for other stuff when you see how great it works on reromal of asphalt pbase materials, oh and tell them I sent you. If you look at the photos they will give you an idea how fast it works. I will send - before and after - photos in a week or so.

Airdaddy
Danny Wingard
Wichita, Kansas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0759.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	84277   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0769.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	84278  

Airdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Maumelle , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdaddy View Post
I am new at this myself. Having searched for two years I found my AS last month in Arkansas. Not knowing how to buy one or knowing about AirForums web site,or how to restore I have taken the project full swing. Anyway when I returned home and started to clean. I took a peak at the roof, Man was I well never mind.

I lost my job little over a year ago and one of the products I sold is great for removel of tar. If you would like here is the name of the product and the company number -- HouseGuard 1-800-560-3701. Ask for someone in sales and express you would like info on the product ""T.H.A.T"" clean. you might order One gallon. You will use it for other stuff when you see how great it works on reromal of asphalt pbase materials, oh and tell them I sent you. If you look at the photos they will give you an idea how fast it works. I will send - before and after - photos in a week or so.

Airdaddy
Danny Wingard
Wichita, Kansas
Hey thanks I will check it out. My roof looks pretty much like yours pictured. I haven't really had much of a chance to get back to my AS. Hopefully in August I'll be home long enough to get some things done to it.

BTW Where in Arkansas did you buy your Airstream from? I recently just purchased mine in May myself.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1969 27' Overlander
Wichita , Kansas
Tar removal

Hey sorry for the dely on the reply. I went to Eureka Springs AR. That is where I stayed until we arrived at a price. Then I went 14 miles along the lake to get to the AS.

Danny Wingard
Airdaddy
Wichita, Kansas
Airdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Maumelle , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdaddy View Post
Hey sorry for the dely on the reply. I went to Eureka Springs AR. That is where I stayed until we arrived at a price. Then I went 14 miles along the lake to get to the AS.

Danny Wingard
Airdaddy
Wichita, Kansas

Ya Eureka Springs is a really neat place. I usually go up there once a year for the Volkswagen car show they have there.

Well good luck and have fun with the new AS!
Old 08-17-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Maumelle , Arkansas
SUCCESS! I finally got the tar off the vent, wa-hoo! O.k. well it was pretty exciting for me. I was really dreading this job.

I finally tried out the diesel on the roofing tar and it worked really well. The diesel combined with the 100 degree heat helped soften that nasty stuff up pretty good. What a mess to clean up! But I was able to get all of that goop off and install the new FAN-tastic fan!

Now its on to the window seals....

Paul
N. Little Rock, Arkansas