Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
reefer vent cap

I am thinking of adding a small fan to actively vent out the reefer heat-my a/s service manual does not have an exploded view of the reefer vent and cap-does anyone out there have such a thing? I think I'd like to put the fan as high in the vent as I can without doing too much modification. I replaced the rm1303 with a rm2820. the new fridge is slightly deeper at the top-it fits but closes off the vent air somewhat. How about you all giving me the low-down? thanks
ol' bill the newbie AS'r
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarsha View Post
I am thinking of adding a small fan to actively vent out the reefer heat-my a/s service manual does not have an exploded view of the reefer vent and cap-does anyone out there have such a thing? I think I'd like to put the fan as high in the vent as I can without doing too much modification. I replaced the rm1303 with a rm2820. the new fridge is slightly deeper at the top-it fits but closes off the vent air somewhat. How about you all giving me the low-down? thanks
ol' bill the newbie AS'r
The added fan should be on the floor, blowing upwards, for maximum benefit.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
thanks, andy, but no room for a floor mount-see the roof top apparition thread for more info...'
bill
oh-if anyone else wants that exploded view-see the roof top apparition thread.
bill
Old 07-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Bill,

Why the need for fans? Does it not work better with all the pine needles gone?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
good question, Mark. A fairly long story, however. I just got my 1st AS. Everything in it worked-just needed elbow grease and TLC. But, my better half likes new and very clean when it comes to refrig, toilet, etc. Now, I planned for a new toilet-one a little taller. But, had no plans for the fridge-before I got it completely clean, Mom decided we needed a new one. So, I replaced it. Had a trip planned so I cut a minor (to me at the time-a mistake, i am sure) corner and did not absolutely clean out the entire reefer hole-top to bottom. the main hole, for sure, and as much of the vent as my arms could handle, but not the whole ball of wax. The reefer worked just fine as it was on our first trip-had varying temps outside including one really hot for WA day. Well, I am planning NM and AZ trips this year and a quick read on reefer efficiency produced the idea of helping out the vent chimney effect with a fan. So I got a small fan and proceeded to figger out where to put it. Behind the reefer is too crowded so I decided up in the vent-and you know the rest of the story.

Bottom line: 1) glad I took the vent apart and cleaned it. 2) will continue to clean it on regular mtce 3) put the fan in as insurance. 4) have better (more complete) fan mod planned in the future.

Many threads on here say a fan helps the frig stay cool...
whew, I am sure glad I am a man of few words, otherwise it would've been a book instead of a mere short story.
ol' bill the newbie