Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2017, 12:03 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
This is what I built to work on the roof of our Sovereign:
Nice!
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:33 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
San Luis Obispo , California
Harbor Freight Scaffold

I have one of the Harbor Freight scaffold units. When on the higher settings, it gets a little wobbly but far better than working on a ladder. The bridge idea seems better for working on the very top but I can still reach most everything safely from the scaffold.
slofoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:09 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blarney View Post
That is almost exactly what I sketched out in the very beginning. I guess my brain wasn't working well that evening because I didn't think it would be easy to move. But it has since dawned upon me that the trailer has a useful feature - wheels. It can be moved back and forth under the scaffold.

How was it set up over the trailer?
I lay it on the ground in front of or behind the trailer and stood it up. I could move it back and forth in small increments alternating from side to side, but usually I had someone else move one side while I moved the other. It worked great! Wish I'd kept it, but it was getting in the way and I reused the lumber for other projects.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
Thanks for the pic & explanation. As soon as the AS reaches homeport then I'll get to work - Winter is coming, as they say.
Bob Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:58 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Popular Mechanics scaffold for roof work.

I just get a ladder put duct tape on my door gutter so the ladder does not scratch and get on the roof that has a skeletal system similar to the scaffolding pictured except it's not so cumbersome to work around as its built in under its skin.If I plan on staying long I take my 3 ft long 1x12 that I covered in carpeting to sit on and span the supports that are easy to see as they are marked with a horizontal line of rivets.I have washed and waxed the roof many times, removed and installed skylights and performed annual roof inspection without incident.I am 61 years young and weigh 200 lbs.

I would not want to try to use the pictured scaffolding for my own personal safety.Some times we tend to over think things.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:09 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
I just get a ladder put duct tape on my door gutter so the ladder does not scratch and get on the roof that has a skeletal system similar to the scaffolding pictured except it's not so cumbersome to work around as its built in under its skin.If I plan on staying long I take my 3 ft long 1x12 that I covered in carpeting to sit on and span the supports that are easy to see as they are marked with a horizontal line of rivets.I have washed and waxed the roof many times, removed and installed skylights and performed annual roof inspection without incident.I am 61 years young and weigh 200 lbs.

I would not want to try to use the pictured scaffolding for my own personal safety.Some times we tend to over think things.
To each his own. I felt very safe using the scaffolding I built; it was a good investment in time and money. I used it to install three Fantastic fans, remove the old AC, reseal plumbing vents, patch holes, etc. I have used a ladder in past to work on our '64 Overlander, but the jobs I needed to do on the Sovereign required a lot of trips up and down and would not have wanted to have been doing all that getting on and off a ladder.

For anyone else considering building scaffolding, what specifically do you think was unsafe about the way I did it as compared to using a ladder?

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Atoka , Tennessee
Thanks!

Quote:
My sister and I (yep, 2 ladies) are faced with the same dilemma. To rent scaffolding would cost about $500. for the week. We knew there must be a way to build scaffolding for replacing the AC, 2 vents, a fan and resealing, then a good cleaning and polishing of our Sovereign roof. Then we can upcycle the lumber for our cabinets and builds for the interior. Thanks for giving us the visual. You're our hero!!!
DDFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:23 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
Quote:
Nice one Grant.

Going to nick your idea and build one so I can replace my ac.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:43 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
That is a thing of beauty!
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:32 PM   #30
DRJJL

1985 31' Sovereign
Poway , California
Has anyone built a permanent scaffold from 4x4s cemented 2-3’ I ground and lag bolted cross beams from which to stretch extension ladder ?
Old 09-29-2019, 12:01 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Wimberley , Texas
Flexible roof platform

Hi all, newbie here. To Bob662, fo you have a pic of your flexible platform? I’m having a hard time picturing it in my head. Thank, Kit
Mskitsh is offline   Reply With Quote