Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2015, 09:38 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Grants Pass , Oregon
Original fan/vent availability??

Does anyone know if the 14 inch vents that came on a 1992 Excella are still available new somewhere? These 14" vents are the kind with a built-in one-speed fan and a manual crank the lifts the vent cap straight up, with the cap staying parallel with the roof. They do not hinge. The covers are white plastic. I'd like to find out if these are still available, and where to buy them if they are. I think they are much higher quality than what I've seen on the market today. The whole frame is made of aluminum and is very stout. They look well built. (The Fantastic Vent I am currently installing in the front position is mostly plastic. I'm posting a question about this installation separately.) Any helpful ideas would be appreciated. I'd like to seriously consider installing an OEM fan/vent in the rear of the trailer if this is possible.
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
I've seen parts for them, but never a entire replacement vent assembly. You may be able to find one from a used salvage trailer. Give Colaw RV Used Parts - We Have Your Part... a call they have a huge salvage yard of rv's and often AS's out there. They may be able to get one off an old trailer for you.
You may be able to get one from someone on the forums if they decide to upgrade theirs to a new fantastic fan or other fan. Keep an eye out on the forums for people starting refurbishing projects, especially full monte's they may be planning on the swap and you could ask to buy the one they take out.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
This is what I have been doing to upgrade the fan in my original vents. Don't like the idea of all that plastic on the roof baking in the sun over time.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f455...an-134139.html

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Are your covers aluminum with a plastic insert or are they all plastic. Mine were aluminum with a plastic insert to let light in. I replaced the insert with aluminum since I figured keeping water out was better that letting light in. There is no reason a sheet metal shop could not make a lid for you that would attach to the mechanism that is already in there. You might even be able to find an aluminum cap to replace the plastic one. I am all for keeping the existing aluminum vent frame. That frame is part of the roof structure and should not be ripped out and replaced with flimsy plastic that you might get 5 years out of if you are lucky. Of course if you are 85 then 5 years might be long enough.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
On my '73, the covers are metal with a plastic insert. When I coated the roof, I also covered the whole cover. I may try and pop the plastic on one and replace it, just to see how much light it lets in. I would thin the lexan or whatever they sell nowadays would be good for 5-10 years in the sun. I'm pretty sure you can buy the new covers as well, the ones with the rounded corners. they may be all plastic or all metal, but they arent cheap.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 05-06-2015, 08:33 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Grants Pass , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Are your covers aluminum with a plastic insert or are they all plastic. Mine were aluminum with a plastic insert to let light in. I replaced the insert with aluminum since I figured keeping water out was better that letting light in. There is no reason a sheet metal shop could not make a lid for you that would attach to the mechanism that is already in there. You might even be able to find an aluminum cap to replace the plastic one. I am all for keeping the existing aluminum vent frame. That frame is part of the roof structure and should not be ripped out and replaced with flimsy plastic that you might get 5 years out of if you are lucky. Of course if you are 85 then 5 years might be long enough.

Perry

I hear you. At this point, I've already removed the original front fan and squared out the whole in the roof and the interior ceiling. Right now, I'm wishing I had thought this out more. The old one is much better built than the new one. And I'm only 64 so I want the fan to last. The old one had a cap mad of two layers of white plastic. Thanks for the input. I'm not sure what I'll do at this point.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
You would not regret the Fantastic Fan installation. If your 64 it will outlast you.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Grants Pass , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
You would not regret the Fantastic Fan installation. If your 64 it will outlast you.
Thanks for the encouragement. As far as the front fan goes, I'm already committed since I already took the old fan assembly out and squared out the roof and ceiling holes. I'm having trouble making the flat flange of the fan assembly match the curvature of the roof without over tightening the screws and causing future cracks in the flange. Taking a break now before I damage something and make the situation worse. Once I get past this, it'll probably work great.

The original rear fan is still in place. I might try to replace just the cap on that one.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
I think this is the new cover that will fit: Vent Lid A penny shy of 70 bucks. Ouch.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 06-30-2015, 01:46 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
1972 27' Overlander
Wakefield , Rhode Island
Parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
I've seen parts for them, but never a entire replacement vent assembly.
We have a 1992 Excella and are looking for parts for the front vent assembly--ours no longer opens straight up, instead it opens toward the front of the trailer only. The entire vent assembly is otherwise in good condition and we'd rather fix what's there than replace it. Anyone know where we can find parts or a photo of the assembly showing the missing parts in question? Thanks.
msimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I have two of the original vent fans, one of which I removed the motor but they are easily obtained. Pm me if you are interested.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:26 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Grants Pass , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by msimon View Post
We have a 1992 Excella and are looking for parts for the front vent assembly--ours no longer opens straight up, instead it opens toward the front of the trailer only. The entire vent assembly is otherwise in good condition and we'd rather fix what's there than replace it. Anyone know where we can find parts or a photo of the assembly showing the missing parts in question? Thanks.

Send me a PM with your email and I'll send you some photos of the assembly on our 92 Excella.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
The original vents that you Re referring to are called Solar Domes, parts are reasonably priced and available from either Vintage Trailet Supply or Inland RV. In my opinion Inland RV has the best selection of parts available for us to use.
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:53 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
1972 27' Overlander
Wakefield , Rhode Island
Thanks so much to those who replied to my inquiry re. parts for our vent assembly. The two plastic guides/sliders were broken/missing. We had been unable to find replacements at any of the usual places--Inland RV, Vintage Trailer, Airstream Supply, etc. In a fit of I-don't-know-what, my husband decided to attempt re-creation of the guides on his 3D printer. Yep, it worked, so we're back in business. I love this forum--so many great people! Thanks everyone!
msimon is offline   Reply With Quote