Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
I Did That!

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
I think the white roof would reflect a lot of heat,I`m thinking of putting Elastameric
[mispelled] on my Overlander ,has anyone done this,and with what results?
Dave
I coated my 75 Argosy with 4 coats of Elastomeric covering. It has several advantages: cooler, seals better, looks great. Keep it clean and apply a new coat every few years and you'll have no problems at all.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #22
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
We should probably get some input from Terry on this.
Would you believe I missed this thread the first time around?
I painted ours with the local version of Kool Seal, known as Henry Seal. My painting pretty much followed the painted areas of the newer trailers, though it did extend a bit further fore and aft, down to the awning railo on the curb side, and along the edge of the center roof panel on the street side. It's been pretty effective keeping the temps a bit lower, and if it ever rains, we'll know if it leaks...
Old 11-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Cool You Trained Me Well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Would you believe I missed this thread the first time around?
I painted ours with the local version of Kool Seal, known as Henry Seal. My painting pretty much followed the painted areas of the newer trailers, though it did extend a bit further fore and aft, down to the awning railo on the curb side, and along the edge of the center roof panel on the street side. It's been pretty effective keeping the temps a bit lower, and if it ever rains, we'll know if it leaks...
Terry, miss being on the forum and hearing all your genius insights! Hope all is well! It sounds like I treated the top of my Agrosy in the same way you did yours. Guess great minds think alike!

Now, I'm gathering info about cleaning and repainting all the "plastics" that have turned yellow (end caps, bathroom sink, countertop, etc.). So much info to filter through, it's gonna take some time to find someone who's successfully repainted the interior plastics. Take care!
Old 11-17-2009, 08:02 PM   #24
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by beulahluster View Post
My white roof seems really soft and flexible. It does not feel like it is aluminum underneath. Is this your experience too? I can buckle it in out out with just my hand. What's up with that? Gina
It's aluminum. I was on mine this afternoon putting a cover on my AC unit.
It flexes stay near the rivet lines and off the end caps. You will be ok.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:53 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
I need to reseal my vent on our 08, what type of sealant should I use?
subfan1....Airstream advised me to use Sikaflex White 721 UV on the roof vents of my 2007 Safari
Old 11-18-2009, 06:34 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
I have been researching a way to coat my roof white as well. I've got 5 gallons of a product called Ceramiflex on order. It is made by Sealoflex--they manufacture products to waterproof roofs, decks, ponds, etc. I have used them for years with good success. www.sealoflex.com
The Ceramiflex offers the advantage of having ceramic particles--makes for a highly reflective surface in white which will hopefully make the interior of the trailer even cooler than using white aluminum or a KoolSeal type product.
It will also stick to non ferrous metals with no preparation other than a good cleaning. Their other products work similarily--I have a water proofed deck on my house that I used Sealoflex on 5 years ago and it has held up well in full sun. Some was applied to raw aluminum flashing and it is still perfectly intact. No streaking either (do not want white streaks on sides of trailer, ever).
The coverage is heavy (50 square feet per gallon) and this will give some good insurance against water intrusion on the roof.
Anyone else have any experience with ceramic based products? Sound like a good way to go?
Old 11-18-2009, 07:53 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Me too!

Bill, I like the sounds of this material. Are we sure about no streaking...I could not find that ref on their web site. I am about to start my reseal/paint on the top of the 94 Sovereign. I am ready now....are you about to start?
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #28
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Ceramiflex vs. Reflectowhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrell View Post
I have been researching a way to coat my roof white as well. I've got 5 gallons of a product called Ceramiflex on order. It is made by Sealoflex--they manufacture products to waterproof roofs, decks, ponds, etc. I have used them for years with good success. www.sealoflex.com
The Ceramiflex offers the advantage of having ceramic particles--makes for a highly reflective surface in white which will hopefully make the interior of the trailer even cooler than using white aluminum or a KoolSeal type product.
It will also stick to non ferrous metals with no preparation other than a good cleaning. Their other products work similarily--I have a water proofed deck on my house that I used Sealoflex on 5 years ago and it has held up well in full sun. Some was applied to raw aluminum flashing and it is still perfectly intact. No streaking either (do not want white streaks on sides of trailer, ever).
The coverage is heavy (50 square feet per gallon) and this will give some good insurance against water intrusion on the roof.
Anyone else have any experience with ceramic based products? Sound like a good way to go?
What made you decide to go with the Ceramiflex instead of the Reflectowhite? Are there added benefits with the Ceramiflex? I didn't see any solar absorptivity info on the info page for the Ceramiflex, only for the Reflectowhite?

Thanks, Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Ceramiflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Bill, I like the sounds of this material. Are we sure about no streaking...I could not find that ref on their web site. I am about to start my reseal/paint on the top of the 94 Sovereign. I am ready now....are you about to start?
Melody,
I am basing the lack of streaking on using the product on my own house. It is a large deck with copper flashing as a drip edge. No streaking on that copper in 5 years and it takes full sun and weather exposure. I guess if it were allowed to 'chalk out' it would streak. A maintenance coat at that point would solve the problem, though.
I am waiting on the product to arrive. Hope to have it done by next week and I will report back with how the application went.

Quote:
What made you decide to go with the Ceramiflex instead of the Reflectowhite? Are there added benefits with the Ceramiflex? I didn't see any solar absorptivity info on the info page for the Ceramiflex, only for the Reflectowhite?

Thanks, Mary
Mary,
I didn't know the Reflectowhite was available. Using a Sealoflex book that is a few years old--must be a newer product. Both products have a reflectance of 86%. The Reflectowhite goes on at 15 mils dry and the Ceramiflex at 18 mils dry so you get a slightly thicker coating with the latter. Seems that they are similar products but I like the ceramic idea a little better.
As a side note, Hydrostop is a company very comparable to Sealoflex--making many of the same waterproofing products. Sealoflex is a smaller company and is based here in Charleston so I try to support the hometeam. Hydrostop may be more readily available in your area and they probably have similar reflective coatings in their product line. Might be worth a little research.
Thanks.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:52 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
Quote:
Melody,
I am basing the lack of streaking on using the product on my own house. It is a large deck with copper flashing as a drip edge. No streaking on that copper in 5 years and it takes full sun and weather exposure. I guess if it were allowed to 'chalk out' it would streak. A maintenance coat at that point would solve the problem, though.
I am waiting on the product to arrive. Hope to have it done by next week and I will report back with how the application went.

Mary,
I didn't know the Reflectowhite was available. Using a Sealoflex book that is a few years old--must be a newer product. Both products have a reflectance of 86%. The Reflectowhite goes on at 15 mils dry and the Ceramiflex at 18 mils dry so you get a slightly thicker coating with the latter. Seems that they are similar products but I like the ceramic idea a little better.
As a side note, Hydrostop is a company very comparable to Sealoflex--making many of the same waterproofing products. Sealoflex is a smaller company and is based here in Charleston so I try to support the hometeam. Hydrostop may be more readily available in your area and they probably have similar reflective coatings in their product line. Might be worth a little research.
Thanks.
Need to do this to my 62 Ambassador ... how are you going to apply it?
Bob
Xbob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbob2 View Post
Need to do this to my 62 Ambassador ... how are you going to apply it?
Bob
Bob,
I was planning to mask off the one large panel on the roof bringing the product down to the big awning on the curbside and stopping where the end caps start. Plan to apply with a brush and roller. Their other products lay down nicely as long as you keep a wet edge and don't apply it in direct sun -- imagine this will do the same.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Bob,
I was planning to mask off the one large panel on the roof bringing the product down to the big awning on the curbside and stopping where the end caps start. Plan to apply with a brush and roller. Their other products lay down nicely as long as you keep a wet edge and don't apply it in direct sun -- imagine this will do the same.
Can it be sprayed by air or airless?
Bob
Old 11-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Bob,

We will practice on yours before attempting on mine
Old 11-18-2009, 06:13 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
The spec sheet reads that it may be applied by brush, roller, or airless spray equipment. I've never sprayed any of their products--they are very thick.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:36 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Quote:
The spec sheet reads that it may be applied by brush, roller, or airless spray equipment. I've never sprayed any of their products--they are very thick.
??????? is this stuff really for airstreams? Inquiring minds want to know ...
Old 12-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Ceramiflex is on the roof

Well, got the Ceramiflex and applied it to the roof.
Taped the edges with painters tape and applied three coats with brush and roller. It laid down nicely--no brush strokes evident. Has a nice even texture.
Took the Airstream out this weekend but it was so cold there was no way to tell how much difference it makes to the interior temperature. Will have to wait until warmer temperatures to know that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thanksgiving 2009 042.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	92246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thanksgiving 2009 044.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	92247  

Old 12-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
What kind of preparation did you do?

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J View Post
What kind of preparation did you do?

Ken J.
The instructions say to give it a good washing to make the surface free of dirt or grease. Used the same car wash detergent I usually use on the Airstream and then applied the product the next day.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:41 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Bill,

Nice job, something I may consider. I just stripped the clear coat of just the top where there was wear. Maybe better than clearcoat or just wax.

Bill
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:29 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Quote:
Well, got the Ceramiflex and applied it to the roof.
Some time has passed. How is the Ceramiflex holding up? How did it perform during the summer?