Old 02-19-2004, 09:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master

I was up on the roof of our trailer last week, installing a new Skyliner antenna, and I decided not to use my usual boards to distribute my weight. I played safe, and walked on or close to the rivets. Howver, I noticed that when my feet were by the awning cover, the vulkemed joint opened up. When I removed my weight, the joint closed up, and appeared perfect. This joint is clearly a potential source of leaks around the rivets, so I decided to repair it. Using a strip of Vulkem on top of the joint seemed a little crude, so I have covered the joint with a 20 foot strip of the high grade aluminum tape used for connecting industrial ducts. I will monitor it closely to see if it is a success. If not, I will use the vulkem. I recommend staying away from the awning tube when walking on the roof. I suspect I disturbed a sound joint. Nick.

Old 08-21-2005, 07:41 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Just to clarify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Getting up on the roof of any Airstream trailer from 1969 on up is very easy with most 8 foot or better ladders.

Place the ladder against the "drip cap" of a side window, and go for it.

Walking on the roof "DOES NOT" require any special anything. Wear some type of non-slip shoes and that is all you need.

Many years ago, Airstream had a picture of a 30 foot trailer, with 20 (twenty) men standing on the roof, to demonstate the strength of the shell. They then put the trailer back through the water bath, and found zero leaks.

Walking on the roof is done by every Airstream mechanic that ever was. Obviously, you don't jump up and down, but you can walk any place on the roof you may want to, except for the end segments. Carpets, boards and the like are not necessary.

For safety reasons, DO NOT GET UP ON THE ROOF IF IT'S WET!!!!!!!! You will find the roof, when wet, becomes extremely slippery.

Airconditioner service, vent covers, TV antennas, sewer vent pipe covers, all require getting up on the roof. You will find that at "ANY" dealership, walking on the roof, is no big deal. It's done everyday.

Andy
Does this include Motor Homes?

Old 08-21-2005, 08:12 PM   #17
Craftsman

I remember when I took my first tour of the factory, there were acouple of guys working on a roof section and I asked if was strong enough to walk on. They said sure they do it all the time.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Jaiman

All Airstream trailers and motorhomes, Argosy trailers and motorhomes, and Land Yacht trailers and motorhomes, are all built well enough for several people to walk on the roof "at the same time".

However, do not walk on any segments, as you will damage them immediately.

Andy
Old 08-22-2005, 07:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Coming to a theatre near you ....

Michael Flatley's AIRSTREAM RIVETDANCE!
Old 08-22-2005, 09:19 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
Coming to a theatre near you ....

Michael Flatley's AIRSTREAM RIVETDANCE!

Groan!

Thanks Andy. When you refer to "segments" are you referring to the lap joints where 2 pieces of Aluminum join together?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:26 PM   #21
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman
Groan!

Thanks Andy. When you refer to "segments" are you referring to the lap joints where 2 pieces of Aluminum join together?
Jaiman,
Segements are the curved ends they are very fragile. If you are walking on the main roof there should be no issues...just don't slip and fall

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote