Old 07-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #15
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
[QUOTE=...followed by a wipe down with denatured alcohol (a mild solvent)....[/QUOTE]

It has been reported elsewhere on the forum that Sika was adamantly against the use of alcohol as a cleaner before the application of their product. Apparently it affects the bond.

Don

Old 07-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Use brake parts cleaner or mineral spirits...

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Do not use any alcohol derivative with sikaflex. Make sure your carb or brake cleaner does not have something like methanol, alcohol or such. Acetone works great and dries faster than mineral spirits.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Does anyone have a credible source about alcohol use and sika. It seems to be a rumor or urban legend that was started here, but when I look at the sika website, they even sell a prep product they recommend that is alcohol based. I also read from Lewster on this forum that alcohol preclean is fine, and that it was misinformation. That it wasnt okay.

I am not trying to call anyone out, I would just like to clarify with real, credible information. I will also search the forums and see if I can find the links etc.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
x2 on the Eternabond tape. I like their Alumibond due to the foil exposed side that goes well with the aluminum skin of the trailer. Prep the surface well and it will stick longer than you'll need it to.
I like this idea. Especially on the roof. Thanks!
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:32 AM   #20
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
time2play-

Another Eternabond believer here. I have been using it for years on several of our and friends rubber-roofed rvs, as well as our own '14 Airstream, "Pete". RVs with rubber roofs that "fold over" the edges and are secured with screws or screw strips (some on the roof itself, not over the edge) are particularly prone to leaks. Those roofs can trap water on the corners, where it seeps into the deck and wall structure through those screws. I've probably used 300' of E-bond 2" and/or 4" sealing entire edges of those roofs. On Pete, I did every straight edge that I could, when he was new (fan openings, vent pipe bases, and recently when I replaced the skylight with a Maxim).

In my opinion, all the advice above is spot on. You have to remove as much of the old caulk as possible, clean it well, (I use Acetone sparingly/with heavy rubber gloves), and lay it down the edge of anything you're trying to seal, centering the actual "gap" under the tape. While it may not (likely will not) stick to any remaining silicone or "silicone properties" caulk lines, as long as it bonds on both side of those lines, you should be good.

One more thing, search for "captain tollys creeping crack cure" threads on AF. It's from the boat industry, and it works great on the myriad of rivets on Airstream roofs (most are not one piece roofs, so rivets that can pool water around each one)

Hope this helps.
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:02 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Springville , Alabama
Man, I hope my use of the denatured alcohol as final wipe on the old surface after the caulk removal and before the Sika application does not cause any problems... heading to Rocky Mtn NP for two weeks on Friday (3,000 mile trip). I thoroughly wiped it off and it immediately dried. Hard to imagine it would cause a problem to the Sikaflex, unless it left some kind of residue that prevents the Sika from sticking to the surface.

I will keep an eye on it to see and report back. I hate to have to redo the job unless absolutely necessary....
driftwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Thinking of using Extreme Sealing Tape https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3241577&rt=rud

Or the Eternabond on all the interior seams on my gutted 72' Tradewind. That or Sikiflex 221. The tape seems to make a lot of sense.

Thoughts?

thanks Dave

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f125...ty-169494.html my slow moving thread
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #23
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza View Post
Thinking of using Extreme Sealing Tape https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3241577&rt=rud

Or the Eternabond on all the interior seams on my gutted 72' Tradewind. That or Sikiflex 221. The tape seems to make a lot of sense.

Thoughts?

thanks Dave
I don't think you'll regret it.
Used the 3mm tape 7yrs ago on the new skylight install, a little faded but still pliable and tight as a drum.
Just finished both FF vents and tv antenna. Expect the same there. 😍
Also works well for FW leaks. Had pex line crack on the output side of the pump. Emergency repair two years ago, still holding. 👍
You'll be surprised at how often you'll find something to use it for.

Bob
🇺🇸

Its a crooked piece of time that we live in.
John Prine

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Whoa that tapes not cheap... 136.00 a roll $$$ (Canadian)
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #25
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
THIS roll did both FF vents and the antenna with several yards left over.
What size were you looking at?

Bob
🇺🇸

Its a crooked piece of time that we live in.
John Prine

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
I used gutterseal. It great stuff. Get it at any box store. $7 a tube
Old 07-11-2018, 05:41 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Does anyone have a credible source about alcohol use and sika. It seems to be a rumor or urban legend that was started here, but when I look at the sika website, they even sell a prep product they recommend that is alcohol based. I also read from Lewster on this forum that alcohol preclean is fine, and that it was misinformation. That it wasnt okay.

I am not trying to call anyone out, I would just like to clarify with real, credible information. I will also search the forums and see if I can find the links etc.

As I recall Lewster has repeatedly said not to use alcohol, use acetone instead.

But that's my memory.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:55 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Okay, I found it, straight from Lewster, see post #2 where he verifies its okay to use alcohol with SIka....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f478...on-160746.html