Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2015, 10:35 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Grants Pass , Oregon
Mounting Fantastic Vent on Curved Roof?

I need advice on mounting a Fantastic Vent on my 1992 25' Excella. Specifically, what's the best way to mount the flat mounting flange to a curved roof without causing immediate or future problems? Any tips would be appreciated.

I tried to compress the gasket really thin in the middle, at the "ridge" of the roof, which caused the flange to start distorting at the center screw location on the front edge, so I backed off the screw to relieve the pressure. I could also allow the mounting flange to bend a little bit in order to match the contour of the roof. A combination of these two approaches seems like it might work. Right now the job is on hold until I figure out the best way to do this. Any tips? Best approach?

Thanks.
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:50 AM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Use a layer of Butyl tape between the flange and the surface:

Butyl RV Putty Tape

Seal the housing edge seam with this:

TremPro 635 sealant
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

you didn't mention

Did you get the fan made for Airstreams? It comes with a curved interior cover.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:22 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Grants Pass , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Use a layer of Butyl tape between the flange and the surface:

Butyl RV Putty Tape

Seal the housing edge seam with this:

TremPro 635 sealant

Thanks for the response.

Before my first attempt, I talked to the tech at Fantastic Vents. He was really nice and suggested using the white gasket that comes with the fan and installing it completely dry. He said to squeeze it down more at the highest part of the roof. He said the gasket would end up really thin at that point, but hardly compressed at all on the sides of the flange where the trailer roof slopes down. That's what I tried, but I was surprised how the flange started to bulge outward at the fastening point. I'm looking for a remedy that won't distort the flange at the fastening points. I'm afraid that the distortions will cause cracks in the flange in the future.

Maybe I could put some Butyl tape under the white gasket that comes with the fan? Maybe build it up with two layers on the low sides? Or maybe try two layers of the white factory gasket along the low sides of the flange?

I do have some of the Trempro 635 ready to use when I get to that point.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:24 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Grants Pass , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
Did you get the fan made for Airstreams? It comes with a curved interior cover.
Thanks for the reply. It's the outside I'm having trouble with right now. I have the correct interior cover.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
It sounds like your trying to hard. I mean your trying to compress the center top by screwing it down to tightly. I have put these fans on a 92 Airstream with not problems....I followed the Company recommendations to use their white gasket and I coat it with 635 too. Then work your tightening all the way around. All screws at about the same tightness. Don't over tighten.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
I used straight TremPro 635. No gasket to fail later. TremPro will fill the void and seal completely, you do not have to over tighten to bend the fan mounting. Used SS screws not rivets, seal the screw heads and done. No leaks!!!

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1989 35' Argosy 5th Wheel
1979 rgosy 27
Danville , Vermont
Well, I tend to overkill things but when I had this same situation, I was not satisfied with filling the gap with filler because the outside screws are difficult to tighten evenly. For what it is worth, I went to a big box lumber store and bought 1/2 inch thick by 1 1/2" wide white plastic molding. A six foot piece was $2.00 and change. I then used a coutour tool, but you would not have to, and copied the curve of the roof. The fore and aft pieces were cut on a bandsaw while on edge to the contour. All four were fit together and sealed so the vent fit flat and had something to rest against when screws were tightened.
fordfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote