Old 07-13-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Is the Verdict In? Does Painting the Roof Cool Things?

I'm in the midst of doing what I hope us a thorough job of applying a sealant to my '90 25' Excella in an effort to preserve the plasticoat as long as possible. (I'm using an acrylic polymer - Liquid Glass - here's what I'm doing: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ml#post1481214 ).

My plan was to apply Liquid Glass to the whole trailer, including the roof, when it occurred to me that this would be a good time to think about painting the roof. I'm interested in cooling things down as my wife and I dry camp a lot and so we often don't have electricity for A/C. We don't like A/C anyway and we're pretty tolerant of heat, but there are times it would be nice to keep things a little cooler inside our little tubular heat sink.

I've done a lot of research before writing this post about the pro's and con's of painting the roof, including efficiency in terms of cooling and, as often the case here for me and my obviously finite ability to absorb information, I'm more confused than ever. I'm hoping that there's experiential or empirical data available that can help me decide paint or no paint. And I'm wondering if there may have been recent advancements in paint technology with better products available than those discussed here over the years.

Thanks,
Poppy

WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
I can tell you that after painting the roof on my trailer white with ceramiflex, on a hot summer day, you can't put you hand on the bare aluminum but you can comfortably rest your hand on the white coated section. My guess is probably a 20-30 degree difference.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f478...lex-98479.html

Ongoing adventures at:
http://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmaestro View Post
I'm in the midst of doing what I hope us a thorough job of applying a sealant to my '90 25' Excella in an effort to preserve the plasticoat as long as possible. (I'm using an acrylic polymer - Liquid Glass - here's what I'm doing: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ml#post1481214 ).

My plan was to apply Liquid Glass to the whole trailer, including the roof, when it occurred to me that this would be a good time to think about painting the roof. I'm interested in cooling things down as my wife and I dry camp a lot and so we often don't have electricity for A/C. We don't like A/C anyway and we're pretty tolerant of heat, but there are times it would be nice to keep things a little cooler inside our little tubular heat sink.

I've done a lot of research before writing this post about the pro's and con's of painting the roof, including efficiency in terms of cooling and, as often the case here for me and my obviously finite ability to absorb information, I'm more confused than ever. I'm hoping that there's experiential or empirical data available that can help me decide paint or no paint. And I'm wondering if there may have been recent advancements in paint technology with better products available than those discussed here over the years.

Thanks,
Poppy
More than 40 years ago, I painted an Airstream roof in San Antonio white, and half way down the side widows.

Comparing it when finished, to an exact duplicate trailer, showed that the white cooled the trailer by 15 degrees F.

Andy
Old 07-13-2014, 04:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Hi Poppy,

Put your hand on a white car and then a silver car fender in the sun and judge for yourself. Quite a difference.

A street side awning also makes a big difference when that side is exposed to the sun.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
All of the above. Big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Thanks guys. There was one odd discussion at one point that aluminum was as reflective as white which had me a bit confused.

I'm going to paint it - is ceramiflex the best way to go? I believe they say it needs no prep but I'm cautious about that. Think it makes sense to rough the surface up a bit, maybe 400 or somesuch?

Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Old 07-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Is ceramiflex the correct spelling? I can't seem to find it anywhere. And interested to hear of other recommended alternatives, such as Dicor from Camping World:

Dicor Elastomeric RV Roof Coating, Gallon - Dicor RP-MRC-1 - Roof Maintenance & Repair - Camping World

Thanks,
Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Old 07-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
The coatings have a tendency to put streaks down the walls. The new trailers use a white paint that is probably something like Kynar which is hard to retrofit.

Regardless, painting it a light color is definitely going to help with the heat build up.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Interesting article on this subject:

https://www1.eere.energy.gov/femp/pdfs/coolroof_qa.pdf

Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Old 07-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
More than 40 years ago, I painted an Airstream roof in San Antonio white, and half way down the side widows.

Comparing it when finished, to an exact duplicate trailer, showed that the white cooled the trailer by 15 degrees F.

Andy
Must be why argosy trailers are cool.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:21 PM   #11
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Here's a link to the Ceramiflex info: http://sealoflex.com/products/coatings/ceramiflex/

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I used Supertherm which is a ceramic paint. Made a huge difference in the inside temps compared to the factory white finish.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
White is better than polished aluminum because of a thing called emissivity. White reflects more heat in the infrared. The ratio of the reflectance (incoming sunlight) to the reflected heat (outgoing) is much better for white paint than silver paint or polished aluminum. So yes, if you can find a white paint that will stay on your trailer and won't mildew then it will help. Also bleeding of the paint is another issue as it runs down the side of your trailer. There are products that don't have these problems but I don't know which ones.

Perry
Old 07-13-2014, 09:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
The Supertherm has silver nitrate in it which will prevent the formation of mildew.

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote