Old 06-26-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I have a dent in my rear end

The pre-previous owner had some bad luck with a tree.

I thought about calling one of them paintless dent removers. Good idea? Bad idea? Or what?

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
The pre-previous owner had some bad luck with a tree.

I thought about calling one of them paintless dent removers. Good idea? Bad idea? Or what?

Most of the dent can be removed, but since it appears there is some creases, that part will always show.

The clearcoat is long gone.

If you decided to paint the coach a color, you could then bondo the segment for a permanent fix.

Or, you can replace the segment if you chose to polish the trailer.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Too bad! The paintless method is not really successful with aluminum since it stretches more than bends.I have see a couple of guys use a body work suction cup on a dent like yours.
It's usually not perfect but levels it up with the other panels.
My inside panels are off and I had a dent like yours on the right rear.I was able to push most out and finish off with a bed frame roller from the inside.(a trick I learned at the Restoration Rally in ABQ early this month.
Remember it's aluminum so you with never get it perfect,but it will look somwhat better.
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Just tell yourself it adds "character". That's if it doesn't leak, of course...
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
1976 25' Tradewind
Dallas , Texas
Hey Gary, Welcome!
I'm a newbie also, and I love your '76 Sovereign!

I bet you could work that dent out yourself, and really make it looks so much better.

Try searching on here, "Body Buddy Vacu-Dent Pnematic Dent Puller", and you will pull up a few good threads showing this intriguing device...looks like it would work well on your shallow dents on that soft curve.

The only way to acheive a perfect repair is replacement of the panel, but this might be a good second-best.

ScoobyShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
My wife has a Dyson Vacuum cleaner. Maaaaybe I could hook that up to that dent.

There's just one dent in the skirt panel on the street side front, I think it's called the banana thingy, otherwise the exterior is in good shape. I'm getting ready to perform surgery on the inside. I don't have pictures yet. I should get some for "before" stories later. The ceiling panels are all nice except for the front interior dome section.

This is the wet skin shot this evening after the rain.

The kitchen sink/range base is a turd. I'm thinking of taking it all out and making new with a new counter. I'd like to dump the oven and just put in a cooktop. I'm not planning to cook thanksgiving dinner in this thing. The vinyl paper is off the most of the inside wall panels. The panel in the kitchen area to the right of the sink, I'll just veneer the same as the new cabinet.

I have the foam mattresses out and I'll get new ones cut. There's a cabinet between the beds with fixed shelves and a pull out bread board. I'm not loving that right now. I do like the single beds though. I'll leave them as they are. The vinyl is gone from both inside panels in the bedroom area. I might just glue auto headliner material on those. Cheap, easy to do, easy to change in the future, and it looks better than the bare plywood. I'll think that over.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:46 AM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
Don't rule out the paintless dent removal process. I was skeptical until I read this thread and saw the results. Certainly not perfect but an incredible difference. You might contact Laura about her success.

Good luck,

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
If you can live with the results from a suction method pulling out the dent it will save you a lot of work. I tried the paintless remove on my Trade Wind with a similar dent. The interior fiberglass cap in the bathroom will have to come down for access if you try it or even to just push the dent out. The guy who came out to the house had done a couple of jobs for me on my vehicles and on autos he is a miracle worker, so I knew he had the skill. He did not have much luck on the Trade Wind. First and biggest problem is that because the aluminum skin is so much harder than sheet metal in cars he could not get the leverage needed to move the metal. We put a 2x6 across the window opening to have something to lever against and with all his strength he had trouble. Second issue is that the tool has a point and with leverage multiplies the force in a very concentrated area, that caused little dimples to form that looked worse than the dent. After about 30 minutes he and I both decided that it just would not work. As I stated, this fellow had done work for me on cars in the past and had made good size dents completely disappear so I know he had the skill.
What worked best for me was to push the big dents and then with body hammers and dollies, VERY lightly tap the creases back level. I actually was able to clean up some of the paintless guys spots with the body tools. A few cautions, first it is very easy to overwork the aluminum so go very slowly and use light taps. Second is the coordination needed with whoever is holding the dolly since you will be inside. Third, if you chose this option, make sure and seal all the seams in the end cap and all around the top and sides of the window with a good seam sealer or vulckem before you put the endcap back up.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have not been very successful with suction cups. I have had good success with a product like "Ding King" or "Pops a Dent", but you can do the same yourself with a glue gun and some scrap wood.

I have heard applying dry ice can help but have never tried it.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Thanks for the replies. I checked out the "Laura" thread. Her dent was right on a seam, mine is in one panel. I might say, I like my dent better. I think I'll try the paintless guy. That also might work on the banana dent.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
it looks like plumber's butt to me! sorry, i just had to say it.

good luck with the repairs, it's a very nice trailer :-)

2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote