Old 05-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Darkspeed, that picture is so reminiscent of my installation of a heat pump. I used one of those ladders with hinged sections to form a leaning scaffold similar to what you've done with the 2x4's and a simple block and tackle hanging from a tree to get the unit onto the scaffold where it could be slid over to the trailer roof.

Great minds think alike wouldn't you agree!

Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Here's the best method that I've found for getting on and off of the roof safely using an extension ladder.

The picnic table and bench make a stable platform for things to be handed up to the roof safely (as long as they are not too heavy).

I tie the bottom of the ladder to shock absorber mounting brackets and I tie each side of the ladder to the main awning brackets. It's important to note that the ladder feet are far enough away from the trailer that the ladder has a reasonable pitch so that I can have my weight/center of gravity over the top of the awning and trailer roof. Also note that since my driveway isn't level, I have shimmed the lowest foot of the ladder with a small piece of plywood.

Steve

Old 06-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Imagine another ladder on the opposite side of the trailer and a 2x12 spanning across from ladder to ladder and you have my first scaffold. I don't set the legs anywhere near that far out though even with them tied together.

Having said that, these days I just lean a ladder against the side and go on up. When I get there I always walk on the rivet lines with no problems whatsoever. A 5 gal plastic bucket with a rope tied to the handle is handy for upping and downing stuff.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
A rule of thumb I use . Set the ladder feet about one third the distance out at the bottom compared to the height of the ladder.
I use that for any project that I need to use a ladder. The tie off is a great idea for a little more safety.

On my wish list is a scaffold w/wheels.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Normally, I think that the treads on the rungs of the ladder should be about level and you will have a good setback distance for the ladder base. I've used more and less distance than that depending on circumstances. The reason that I'm using such an extreme setback distance to get on the roof of my trailer is so that I don't have to swing/place my weight over the ground below in an awkward manner. This way, I can simply step off or on the ladder which is over the roof a significant amount.

As an aside, I have a friend who became a paraplegic in his fifties due to a tree trimming accident. I'm also a former flight instructor and have worked in aviation most of my adult life. All of this makes me err on the side of caution. Another thing is that I've used up all of my nine allotted lives in the past.

Steve
Old 06-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
Another thing is that I've used up all of my nine allotted lives in the past.

Steve
"All"? That means you are dead. I knew that zombies were everywhere, but this is the first one on the Forum (that I know of). If you fall off the ladder, I guess it won't hurt. I guess being a zombie makes it easier to climb to the top of our traileróI'll have to look into that. It may cure my arthritis.

Gene
Old 06-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Gene,
Actually, zombies don't even have to worry about arthritis. It's one of the fringe benefits!!!

On second thought, let's say that if I were a cat I would have used over half of my nine lives. That's a more accurate statement. Thanks for calling my hand on the nine lives bit!!

Steve
Old 03-20-2014, 05:40 AM   #92
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
I didn't try to get on the roof.But this baker scaffold worked great.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1395311997.561447.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	676.2 KB
ID:	207885Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1395312047.540306.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	808.0 KB
ID:	207887
Old 03-25-2014, 11:58 AM   #93
4 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
In the North , FRANCE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroboy View Post
When on the roof, you want to keep your feet on the ribs: try to discern the locations by looking at rivet lines...
Really ? We can walk on the roof ?

I would be very afraid...

I'm looking for a solution to access on the roof to made work on this, polish it etc...

And this one :
Old 03-25-2014, 02:31 PM   #94
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
For polishing, I needed to be up close and personal. I did most by using two step ladders and a plank between. Getting on the roof, I used two scaffolds and step ladders to climb the scaffold.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:14 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
I didn't try to get on the roof.But this baker scaffold worked great.Attachment 207885Attachment 207887

That's the same style scaffolding I ended up buying. I bought the outriggers (to prevent tipping) and wheels too.
I have several future projects that will require me to get high enough to work on the roof of the trailer.
It looks like the scaffolding will come in handy for a lot of around the house projects too.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:49 AM   #96
4 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
In the North , FRANCE
Ok, yes, thank you for your replies, perhaps I have to buy 2 scaffolding style and install between each a wood plank... it's an economical solution no ?
Old 03-26-2014, 01:39 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Try swimming pool noodles. Slip them on to each verticle ladder support and tape them to secure them in place. Then when you lean the ladder against the awning, it won't scratch the AS.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #98
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
The scaffolds are the best way with ladders run across the trailer from scaffold to scaffold, secure them to the scaffold to prevent movement, you can cut a piece of plywood a little wider than the ladder and secure it to the ladder. This gives you movement on each end with the space in between for doing the work.
No touching the trailer, the whole system can be easily moved with the help of another person the full length of the trailer.
Scaffolds can be found pretty cheap right now mostly at pawn shops.

Sarge

NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote