Old 08-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
Wow.

I am sure glad that I found this year old thread. I don't know how often the roof maintenance needs to be done, but my trailer is now 4 years old and I have been thinking of doing the work myself.

Well, I am now near satisfied that I should just take it to a shop and let them do it. Darn, I wanted to do it, but I am 62 years old, 240# and have never done this before. rats!

Old 08-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Now I know why so many of you choose to do this roof work yourself. $$$$$$

Camping World just quoted me $85 per vent/fixture.

The local RV shop says he charges $85 per hour and that it would take 8 hours.

I don't have a nearby Airstream shop.

Suddenly the price of an 8' scaffolding setup, at about $370, isn't all that bad. ;>)

Old 08-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #73
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
How to get on an AS roof

I have not read all seventy-something replies, so this may be a duplicate, and I apologize if it is... My husband Joe uses one of those ladders that articulates and folds into an "L" shape- with the bottom of the "L" resting on the top of the AS, so that VERY LITTLE if any pressure is on the side skin. The ladder is supported by the roof. He has swapped out roof top Air conditioners SEVERAL times from one of our AS to our Argosies, etc. by himself using that ladder. He has used that same ladder to paint weird tall stairwells too and it works nicely! Good luck.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I too haven't read all the posts, but when I bought our AS I was quite concerned about getting on the roof without causing damage.

Now it is old hat to me - no big deal at all. I just lean a ladder up against the awning - at the back of the trailer, right near the awning support arm.

I put the ladder at a fairly steep angle (but not unsafe) so as to minimize force on the awning, and up I go.

I wear soft but non-slippery shoes, and step only on rivet lines. I make sure never
to get onto the endcaps.

Never a problem yet.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
My solution was to have lewster put a new solar system in and while he was on the roof I asked him to check the seals on all that stuff. It didn't take long at all.

If CW charges $85/unit, does that mean they are removing all the old sealant and starting over? That would be a reasonable charge for the complete job, but not for just adding some sealer where there appear to be problems developing. Same would be true for the 8 hour quote by the other RV shop.

Gene
Old 08-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #76
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I was on the roof to install to Fantastic fans recently. I rest a ladder on the awning housing and I put a piece of plywood on the roof spanning a couple of ribs. That gives me a place to lean or sit on while working. I'm not comfortable walking around up there but the plywood helps distribute the load. The awning housing is pretty hefty and from the street side you have relatively easy access to almost all of the vents that need the occassional sealant jobs.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #77
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
My dad shingled a roof when he was 80.

I'm 67 and weigh in at 262 and I go up on a ladder like a cat. So far I've done everything alone except getting the old air conditioner in the loader bucket.

I put the new air conditioner up alone and installed all the Fantastic fans alone. :-)
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:54 AM   #78
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
My dad shingled a roof when he was 80.

I'm 67 and weigh in at 262 and I go up on a ladder like a cat. So far I've done everything alone except getting the old air conditioner in the loader bucket.

I put the new air conditioner up alone and installed all the Fantastic fans alone. :-)

Well now you old codger, I can tell that you're aging much more gracefully than I am. LOL

I love our state and have a half a mind to toss my tools into the truck bed, hook up and head to your place and watch you do it. LOL

Don't worry, I'm just joking around. ;>)

Seriously, you folks are making it sound more doable than I was seeing it.

I have a flatbed trailer that I use to haul my tractor. I may park it close to the Airstream and work from it. That would give me a steady platform and a bit more height from which to set a ladder.

Cheers........
Old 08-04-2011, 01:06 AM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
To ALL of you good folks,

I appreciate each response. Each of you have help me understand what I need to do, mostly.

I think I may have been making this into a bigger deal than I needed to. I had also envisioned that I would be removing all of the sealer, cleaning all of it off and re-caulking every fixture. I now understand this is not likely going to be necessary.

Anyway..... thank you all very much.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:26 AM   #80
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
My solution was to have lewster put a new solar system in and while he was on the roof I asked him to check the seals on all that stuff. It didn't take long at all.

If CW charges $85/unit, does that mean they are removing all the old sealant and starting over? That would be a reasonable charge for the complete job, but not for just adding some sealer where there appear to be problems developing. Same would be true for the 8 hour quote by the other RV shop.

Gene
Gene,

I contacted another RV shop that's about 15 minutes from my house. He charges $90 per hour. However, he told me that it is very likely that I won't have much that needs attention. In any case, he says they would inspect it for free and let me know what actually needs to be done.

My plan is to take it in for inspection. If I don't like the numbers or if I am not convinced they will do an excellent job, I'll go to plan B.

Plan B: I'll get a younger and more agile friend up here to give me a hand... buy him beer and put on a bbq. I'll warn him that if he screws up my Airstream, I'll use my backhoe to bury him alive out behind the barn. ;>)

Cheers,

Dan
Old 08-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator113 View Post

Plan B: I'll get a younger and more agile friend up here to give me a hand... buy him beer and put on a bbq. I'll warn him that if he screws up my Airstream, I'll use my backhoe to bury him alive out behind the barn. ;>)

Cheers,

Dan
You could make a movie out of it.

Gene
Old 08-05-2011, 07:54 AM   #82
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
This worked great for me. Walk on - walk off and all tools, drinks, etc are handy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-143189493.png
Views:	269
Size:	964.3 KB
ID:	136781  
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I have a 2008 Classic that has the full length awnings on both sides. Is it OK to to rest a ladder against the awnings aluminum cover? I want to get up to remove the AC cover.

Thanks

Kelvin
Old 05-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #84
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
It is possible to mount the roof that way. I don't due to physical issues at this time. But my grown sons have. Ours is 34' 1999.

Wear nonskid sole shoes. Have someone hold ladder or properly secure.

Walk on rivets where strong. Use wood to spread the load so you don't center too much force.

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote