Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2017, 05:39 PM   #1

PLAINFIELD , Indiana
Question Help! We don't know what we are doing!

Hello everyone! We just bought a 1973 Avion La Grande from the junkyard ( not kidding ) and we know nothing about RVs! What do we need to do to stop and prevent future leaks?
Diamond Lil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

Stopping leaks is a matter of constant maintenance. Typical leak points are at doors, hatches, and windows, where the gaskets have dried out and cracked, letting water in. Also, anything that penetrates the shell (ie., sewer breather pipes, furnace exhaust, water heater) may be the source of leaks. Again, its gaskets and sealant. Finally, every rivet and every seam could be leaking. You can either clean the grime out of every seam and put a bead of parbond along it, or you could do a "positive pressure" test (also known as a "bubble" test), to try and identify leaks (after you have replaced all of the gaskets and seals described above).

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Replace all the window/door gaskets. If you have plumbing vents with the rubber gasket and screen like my 74 Overlander, those gaskets need replaced too. Remove as much old caulk as possible from caulked joints, then re-seal. Check above windows and doors, around vents, belt lines, lights, everywhere there is a "thing" attached to or penetrating the shell. I like the white 3m abrasive wheel, carb cleaner, and rags for removal of old polyurethane. If a previous owner has blessed you with gobs of silicone, the silicone remover from vintage trailer supply works well. Get a small suction cup and check every rivet. If the suction cup sticks, the rivet is good. If it doesn't, get some Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure and apply as directed to that rivet, repeatedly, until the suction cup sticks.

Inspect everything at least once a year and re-seal as needed.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote