Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2006, 08:18 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Thanks for thinking about us, Laura. We got through the night okay, like Jack, but storms were popping up all around us. We had one brief hail spell, but it was over quickly here-incredible and ongoing wind and lightening, and like Jack, our weather alert kept waking us all ngiht long. I'm just glad we have it since we are pretty far out from a community siren. The morning news revealed some tragic situations. We were very lucky.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:23 AM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Radio weather alerts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
and like Jack, our weather alert kept waking us all ngiht long. I'm just glad we have it since we are pretty far out from a community siren. The morning news revealed some tragic situations. We were very lucky.
This really brings up the idea of carrying a weather radio when out which is reallly important. The one I carry with me uses the SAME technology which allows you to put in county codes that will only allow alerts in the coded counties you load in.

Normally when I plan a trip, I'll use my Good Sam directory to find the county of each campground that I'll be staying in. Via the NOAA Internet site you can then find the county codes that match the county names.

Finally and dependent upon your weather radio, you can load the codes. In my case my radio holds up to six codes and can montor all six at the same time. This is important to me since I may stay at different sites each day, and don't want to bother having to activate or change out a code. The only thing I do is turn the radio on, find the local channel that provides the best reception, and then switch it to standby.

The cost of my radio was $35 on ebay and it runs on batteries or 110 volts.

Here's a picture of mine.

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/sho...cid=74&pid=278

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:42 AM   #23
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Glad to hear that all of you faired well thru the night, was thinking and praying for you all last night.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Oh HAIL!

To a southerner "HAIL" is the ultimate abode of General William T. Sherman.

"Rye-cheer" is one's present location. (Right here...)

"ya'all" is singular... the correct plural is "all ya'all".

Anyway, I have actually seen someone use one of those little dent pullers on golf ball hit ding on the side of an Airstream. Popped it right out. Now if you have 500 little dings, you might want to park it in the sun and wait patiently for expansion and contraction to do it's thing.

Anyway, glad you made it through the night and are dry. Good luck with replacing your vents... And I would say to upgrade to at least one fan. They move a lot of air and make it very pleasant to be inside.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:52 PM   #25
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Ya know, it's the strangest thing....We haven't had hail 'round these here parts in years 'till we drug that 'luminum bueaty home about 18 months ago. Since then, we've had three hail storms. Luckily, nothing bigger than dime sized stuff. No damage, thank goodness.

Good to hear everybody's o.k. It is springtime, so I supopose we've more of this to look forward to. 80 degrees in Atlanta right now and that stuff y'all had to deal with yesterday is headed our way by midnight.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:36 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Our weather alert was given us as a Christmas gift by our son/family. I do not know the price, but it is by Midland, called All Hazards Alert Weather Radio, includes additional features such as an AMFM alarm clock with snooze, a calendar display of day, month, and year (good for me since I haven't kept a calendar since retirement last May!), color coded alert lights for 3 levels, a telescopic antenna for reception within 50 miles of an active NWS transmitter, and multiple kinds of warnings that can be issued. Like Jack says above, you code in the counties that concern you so that you can reload as you travel across the country. Another good feature is that it has accessory jacks for a plug in optional stobe light or pillow vibrator for the deaf or hard of hearing and also an external antenna jack for improved reception for inside concrete or metal buildings (Airstreams?), and has emergency battery back up (4 AA's). We are well pleased with its performance after last night. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:31 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
charlottesville , Virginia
Just an little update here in the Springtime in the Ozarks! Sunday night here we had tornado's popping up all around us. The owners of the RV Park came knocking on my door at 10:30 pm to tell me that a tornado was heading this way(I had been in bed with bad sinus++ all evening) and invited me to come into their shelter. Of course I did, and waited until the storm passed. While I was waiting the electricity got knocked out, and stayed off until @ 6am that morning. I came home about 11:15pm, and the wind blew hard all night. My tarp got blown off, but no rain got inside. I had to go to work yesterday, but I told my boss I needed today off to get up on the top of RV and measure for vents and cover them temporarily, the tarp is just too much, keeps blowing off. It was a good emergency fix, definately not a permanent solution. (smiling)

I am waiting for the sun to warm things up a bit before I climb on top. I have some materials to use to cover vents that should hold until I have more time to order vents. This head conjestion is not helping matters, but I still have to keep going, rain forecast again this weekend. Oh those March Winds and April Showers bring us those beautiful springtime flowers.
jimmieanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:39 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
No Climb temporary fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmieanna
I am waiting for the sun to warm things up a bit before I climb on top. I have some materials to use to cover vents that should hold until I have more time to order vents. This head conjestion is not helping matters, but I still have to keep going, rain forecast again this weekend. Oh those March Winds and April Showers bring us those beautiful springtime flowers.
You might be able to do a temp fix from the inside. Get a plywood square that will fit through the hole diagonally, then turn it 45 degrees and it should cover the vent. To secure it, just staple a loop of rope to the bottom, run a length of board or dowel rod through the loop and twist until it tightens to your inside roof. Cheap, quick and no roof climbing.

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:20 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
WE bought a 83 300 turbo deisel MH last year that has hail dimples. They sorta add charcter to it as our gray hair and wrinkles do to us. It is a sign that we have survived so far. over all it was in good condition. As we use it we are finding small things that need attention. This forum has been a great help in doing the needed repairs. Good luck to you on your roof vents.

Kay
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:25 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We had a friend who lost their vent cover while on the road in a wind/rain storm last year. Not having any "normal" supplies readily available for this type of fix, they took an umbrella in the trailer, stuck it through the vent opening then opened it and tied the handle down to some cabinets inside! Quick thinking and on-hand improvisation kept their trailer dry until the next town and a more permanent fix was available ~ it musta looked pretty silly going down the road!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote