Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2015, 08:47 PM   #1
You'll Never Walk Alone

1955 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Kelowna , British Columbia
Flashing for Dickinson wood stove chimney

I have been designing a simpler flashing for a wood stove fire place chimney exiting an Airstream.
I always thought high heat silicone would work so I googled this and sure enough I noticed the newer flashings you can buy online to surround chimneys exiting through the roof are silicone. But I wanted it to look simple and not be much of an eyesore.
So here is my design.

It is an eight inch in diameter aluminum ring and a silicon sheet with a 1 ½" hole cut in the centre so that it stretches around a 3" stainless stove pipe.

All the items I made were mostly sourced from kitchen supply stores.

8" aluminum pizza ring with mesh cut out of it

Silicon baking sheet for cutting into circle for flashing
The silicon is good to 480F. and I have had many fires burning already and it is all working fine.

The inside trimming is a little tricky since you need to cut a hole in inner skin in a more oval shape than the outer roof one so that chimney has clearance.
then the shape for the insert is also tricky to figure out.
I will be adding a brace for the chimney stack soon.

The Newport Dickinson wood stoves are mainly used on boats. Here in Vancouver there is a supplier for them and the stainless chimney and parts. Fortunately for me my brother found one for $2- at a garage sale. Ya that's $2-.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	248674   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	248675  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	248676   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	248677  

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	248678   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	248680  

Old 09-22-2015, 06:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Do I envy you a little woodstove in your Airstream!

I have one for primary heat source in my little house, on a hearth in the living room. It is one of the great, non-human delights of my life.

The fire, itself, has entertainment value, and radiant heat that warms you to your soul is incomparable.

I have had dogs and humans needing warmed stretched out on that hearth, and it's the first place the grands settle when they get up on cold mornings here.....wrapped in a fleece blankie, sipping their hot chocolate.

If I could have a tiny one in the Interstate.....I would.

Enjoy.

Maggie
Old 09-22-2015, 11:36 AM   #3
You'll Never Walk Alone

Thanks for commenting Maggie.
I have been running the wood stove for awhile and all is well and yes it is nice to turn lights out and just sit and enjoy the glow which relaxes me.

I should mention the setup I have is just for when I am at the farm on my property and mainly during the winter. We had a fire ban on all summer and summer is not wood stove time anyway. The whole thing is set up for easily dismantling because it is so small and light and gets stored away when I plan a road trip. I have a propane heater I use for traveling. The roof part of the chimney comes off and I just cap it.
I find the wood heat defeats moisture in the trailer. Many people are worried about accidentally touching the stove or it causing a fire. The Airstream I have (1955 overlander) is mainly planned out and redesigned for my personal use (single guy) so there are no kids running around or any major traffic in and out of the Airstream. But there are nephews that will visit at some point but I think it is a good learning experience for them being around fireplaces. All we had when kids was a fireplace to heat our house and we all understood the rules.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Sweet! (And that IS a tricky cut)
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:28 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Give us more photos of the stove itself and the installation.

Thanx.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:08 PM   #6
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Boult View Post
my brother found one for $2- at a garage sale. Ya that's $2-.
Wait a sec.... $2 American?
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Is that flu pipe double walled?

Nice install, I'd love to do something like that in something in the future.
Is that Newport really wood? I've seen diesel and propane versions.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:32 AM   #8
You'll Never Walk Alone

Nah $2- Canada. A loonie!
Old 09-24-2015, 11:53 AM   #9
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Newport takes a small amount of solid fuel and are designed for wood, coal, BBQ charcoal. It is nice to have if you want a warm fire but for convenience a propane heater is less fuss. I have installed it because I wanted a fire once in awhile at the farm and because I am not at the propane installation stage in the reno and it is getting chilly out. I can use an electric heater but this was a fun project to put in wood stove and I am trying to get off the grid.
The stove pipe is not double walled. There is a guard that can be attached in case anyone brushes against the pipe. My clearance through the roof is quite large and no part of that clearance hole gets hot at all. I have put my hand on the silicone flashing and all of the trimming around the hot chimney and it is warm, the silicone is cool. Quite amazing that it does not get hot. I am using woods that burn slow and BBQ briquettes since they give off a slow consistent heat and burn clean. When viewing the chimney cap there is no smoke when it is running right. Usually I use small wood chips and paper to get the briquettes lit and burning. These stoves are used mainly on boats and in that situation coal is used in these small stoves. That way you are not constantly adding wood and fussing with stove, you just get a long slow clean burn if using the right coal or as I am using BBQ charcoal.

My next stage is putting in the propane lines and a heater. Arriving at the farm and fussing with a wood stove is not ideal. Turning on a propane heater would get me heat right away. But the wood stove will help with keeping down costs and will be nice to sit in front of in the evenings while hanging out.
I keep a window cracked and never use the fantastic fan unless the door is open or enough windows. The neg pressure will suck the smoke back down the chimney pretty fast. Just makes sense to always have fresh air. I am looking at sealing up the stove a little more. Basically it is just a stainless steel box with a door and I see many small seams that need sealing when burning. I think I could easily make a hidden duct to bring in fresh air from outside too but for now it is working fine.
Here is a link to the stove and parts. Not cheep but as I mentioned I picked this up for a whole $2- ( Canadian Loonie) at a garage sale. The chimney parts ran about $200-.
Archives - Dickinson Marine | Dickinson Marine
Old 09-24-2015, 12:42 PM   #10
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
$2 is SUCH a deal! We have one of these in our sail boat and it cooks the cabin. I'm sure you'll be toasty this winter.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
If you want temporary propane heat the portable big buddy catalytic heater I use works well, puts out a ton of heat using a 20 or 30 lb tank.

I guess you could toss wood pellets in that thing as well. Sounds like a nice setup. Surprised the silicone takes the heat so well. I'd think the flu would be hotter, based on big wood stove here. I guess the small fire size keeps it down.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:36 AM   #12

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
That is a very professional and creative solution. Nice work.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:18 AM   #13
You'll Never Walk Alone

thanks Kevin
Old 12-12-2015, 04:07 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
B_Boult: My heat had to come from cheap small wood burner or kerosene ( extreme sub zero temp use) H-45 military tent heater. Set up must never alter axle weight, balance and/or tongue weight. Had to be used in varied locations inside and moveable outside under awning too. Had to draw no power, hence the TEF-111. Both heaters are carried in the cargo bed of the Escalade EXT, As is fuel type. Both have removable wheels. Either is unloaded, rolled up the slant ramp and installed in one of 3 positions under the roof vents (now modified into flip over plates.) Each plate uses a 8" wind turbine, a whirlygig, as seen on home roofs, removed and capped for OTR. each new roof vent cover accepts 3" inner dia heater vent piping. System had to use outside combustion air and have non powered venting to control over heating. Accomplished all of the above for about $550 ( not inclusive of the foldable little wagon which moves the wood inside and is storage container-also relocatable)
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 04:24 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
B_Boult: I failed to mention your set up is fantastic. My "must have/must be" requirements dictated I think way outside the box and KISS and save money and display ultimate flexibility. I would suffer cardiac arrest if I would ever cut a hole(s) in the aluminum skin. I even removed the OE taillights for combustion air input tubes, but could have cut holes low on roadside. I rejected fresh air input from the wheel well covers for obvious reasons.
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:12 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Boult View Post
Nah $2- Canada. A loonie!

Nope. A twoonie. Pretty soon that will be about 6 cents US. 😂 Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 10-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Boulder , Colorado
I know this thread has been quiet for a while but I was wondering if there is any update on the performance, safety, or longevity of this setup. I’ve ordered the same parts you referred to as well as the Dektite fitting and am debating which to use for my wood stove install (Cubic Mini Cub).

This is my first post on the forums. I just purchased and moved into a 1976 Tradewind 25’ in Colorado. I’ve started remodeling it and I’m sure that will continue over the coming months/years. Prepping for winter is the main focus right now.
Ppleasants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for reviving this thread!

I saw one of these in operation years ago on a sailboat, and always wanted to have one.

https://www.amazon.com/Dickinson-Mar.../dp/B007PS3GGU

No reason it should not work in an Airstream IMO.

The most vulnerable part is the flue terminus/smoke cap at the very top. Strong winds while towing, and campsite low-hanging branches, could be hazardous to one's health. [ . . . don' wanna get the flue, doncha know! . . . ]

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppleasants View Post
I know this thread has been quiet for a while but I was wondering if there is any update on the performance, safety, or longevity of this setup. I’ve ordered the same parts you referred to as well as the Dektite fitting and am debating which to use for my wood stove install (Cubic Mini Cub).

This is my first post on the forums. I just purchased and moved into a 1976 Tradewind 25’ in Colorado. I’ve started remodeling it and I’m sure that will continue over the coming months/years. Prepping for winter is the main focus right now.
While we could debate whether it's a good idea to penetrate your roof with single-wall pipe (18" clearance to combustibles) or Cubic Mini's double-wall pipe (9" clearance to combustibles), the pipe boot issue is pretty simple to address. You can get a gray high heat silicone boot that fits a 3" OD pipe here:

https://www.fastenersplus.com/4-Roof...hing-Boot-Gray

$23. No need to reinvent the wheel.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:39 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Boulder , Colorado
This is great info; I just ordered the one you linked. I had only been able to find the silicon in gray at tinywoodstoves and they are backordered until January... they had said they had the gray boots custom made and with a little searching I wasn’t able to find any others. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I like the look of a smooth surface but trust the purpose-built product more.

Also, just to clarify, I will be using Cubic Mini’s double wall flue pipe and will essentially create a third wall where it passes through the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
While we could debate whether it's a good idea to penetrate your roof with single-wall pipe (18" clearance to combustibles) or Cubic Mini's double-wall pipe (9" clearance to combustibles), the pipe boot issue is pretty simple to address. You can get a gray high heat silicone boot that fits a 3" OD pipe here:

https://www.fastenersplus.com/4-Roof...hing-Boot-Gray

$23. No need to reinvent the wheel.
Ppleasants is offline   Reply With Quote