Well it only took me 3 years but I finally replaced the leaky propane fridge vent with a nice clean patch.
It took a lot longer than I thought...I reno'd our house and I was thinking that the AS was more or less a big "room" and the timeframe would be similar to what I did in the house for a single room. Man, was I wrong! It took me almost all day to do a simple patch....I hope the learning curve will speed things up! Also, my power shears died; that was a pain. The longest part was getting the three layers of "gunk" off the roof. Not sure what the PO used but it was tough stuff! Too bad it wasn't waterproof!
I started with plastic scrappers and "goo be gone"....that was a waste of time. Then I moved to varsol that was ok for the thin areas but was still painfully slow. Then I thought, "Wait a second, this is going to be UNDERNEATH the patch!" So, I broke out the metal scrapers, pocket knife, and a flat head screwdriver. That took the thick areas off but then I had to contend with the residue.....I resorted to an orbital sander.
Then came the riveting....I will add that this was first attempt at riveting and shaving....
There was no way to match up the old holes so I made the patch a bit larger so I could drill new holes and seal all the others. So with the patch cut out.....with hand shears and a grinder so don't look at it too closely. I measured and marked the location, placed the patch, checked it twice, and drilled a hole on either end, cleco'd it in and proceeded with the drilling and clecoing of the remaining holes. The next thing was another learning experience....I removed the patch and vulkem'd each hole, old and new, as well as adding a double row of sealant along the top just in case....I do this when I shingle roofs as well. Well, when I went to cleco the patch back on I realized my error. The cleco's were going to get messy! It took me another hour to get them all clean. It would have been faster just to dip each rivet and it ended up I had too anyway because the cleco took most of the vulkem with it when I took it out.
I had grand thoughts that I would add this to the forum for others to see so I took progression pic's. I don't think I'll be adding the photo's though the rivet placement is a little sloppy. I thought it was good when I was up there but after I took a look at the photo's....not very straight or even. I lovingly refer to these small errors as "[email protected]
detector's". For example: Guy at Campground says, "Nice AS! but I noticed your rivets are uneven and not straight!" I am am instantly aware that he is an "[email protected]
The good thing is that it's on top and the only people who will see it are ferry operators on a raised bridge and pilots of low flying aircraft.
On another note if anyone needs a used propane fridge vent I have one and it's free to a good home.