Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2006, 05:16 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Excella Requires Roof Cleaning

I took a look at 25' Excella recently. The interior was nice and the exterior was good up to the roof. Problem is this AS has been parked under some trees for about 3-4 years and has accumulated some greenish scuz on the exterior roof including the A/C unit and other items (i.e. vents, antennas, etc...) which are located on the roof also. My question: will a simple power wash take care of the scuz, leaves, dirt, twigs, etc... or do you think this will likely take several buckets of soap & water plus plenty of elbow grease? Since it is on the roof (not the easy place to work) should a pro be hired to clean it once and for all? Thanks all. BTW the roof is supposed to be white.
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:28 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Hey Streamer,
What year is your Excella? Mine was green and scuzzy too. I used a medium stiff bristle brush and car wash soap and scrubbed it down. My biggest concern with a pressure washer is knocking caulking loose and creating a leak. I scrubbed mine from the top and with an 8' step ladder.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Do not use a power washer. Depending on the age of the unit and the condition of the clear coat you may want to go easy to try to preserve the clear coat. You basically want a chemical that will soften the crud and then a soft brush to get it off. Then a second cleaning to get off the remainder and a really good flush to get the chemicals off the roof before it starts to harm the clear coat paint. Alot depends on the kind of trees the unit was parked under. Pine sap is really bad.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:11 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Anderson , South Carolina
Feel your pain

We have an Excella also and while it was not green on top, after a summer of camping it was dirty. I have found that a good automotive wash is the best soap to use. We have awnings down both sides so a couple of old towels on an extension ladder leaned up against the awning provides a pretty stable work surface. Two cap full of bleach to a gallon of water can remove most sap. For stubborn places park out of the direct sun and soak a white towel in the bleach solution (see above) and then place the wet towel on the dirty area. Let it soak for a bout 5 minutes then rinse well, repeat as necessary. Good luck and keep us posted.
"We've got PBS minds in a MTV world" J.B.
GoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:09 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Midlothian , Virginia
Just did mine just last week, used one cup of TSP (tri-sodium phosphate), one cup of Simple Green and 5 gal. of water. Sprayed the roof with water and used a medium pole brush from NAPA to apply the mixture. I let the solution work for several minutes on the section I was working, then scrubbed with the brush and rinsed off..... took all of the dirty black tree tar off....also exposed sealent issues around the vents and antenna, so those were re-sealed while the ladders were out.

Enjoy the journey..
Retired & Having Fun
toadtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 01:45 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Just an update folks. I used "simple green" as suggested - worked like a charm! Of course I had to add the elbow grease, but the roof of the Excella looks fantastic!!!
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:27 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Burlington, Ont. Canada , Ontario, Canada
I just purchased a 1996 30 Ft Excella in Alabama and towed it back to Ontario, Canada. The coach is in good shape overall however the roof finish very dull and the remained of the coach could use a good cleaning. I am a Newbie so any help would be appreciated. I am learning much on this site.

All the best,
Stan
Easyriser is offline   Reply With Quote