Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2004, 09:54 PM   #1
The Sh*tt*r's Full!

1970 27' Overlander
lewisville , Texas
Exclamation Do you have rubber coating on the roof?

Do you have this on your A/S? I'm STRONGLY considering it, and would like to hear from you if you have done it.

I'd love to see pics of the finished product...

I'd also like to know the various methods that have been used...

Looks like Snow Roof and Kool Seal are the main choices, and are both from the same company... I emailed them and asked for their suggestions on use of their products over aluminum with clear coating on it...

If you've done this, PLEASE help me out by showing and telling...
dbtolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 11:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Those spray in bed liner people are begginning to advertise that they can custom color that stuff. Perhaps spray the roof with it in silver?
I saw an Airstream the other day with sprayon bedliner gravel guards in a medium dark grey metalic. This unit also had done the roof end to end from about 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock as you look at the curve of the end caps. I wish now I had the camera with me so I could have had a pic. I bet the spray on stopped any leaks.
The medium grey color on the roof made the Airstream look a little skunk like if you can picture it in your mind.
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 12:37 PM   #3
The Sh*tt*r's Full!

1970 27' Overlander
lewisville , Texas
Anyone have a pic of their Elastomeric coated roof? Pretty please???
Old 08-04-2004, 01:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Richardt, this is America.
The titled owner can do with his Airstream what he so desires.
You don't sound happy about that.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:08 PM   #5
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Do it!

There are many that have done this successfully. It certainly has some benefits, like cooler temps inside of unit, sealing seams, covering blemishes, less polish time on polished trailers. Less maintenance.

Check with Fred here on the forum. He did it to his Bambi and it looks good. I have seen it done on other units too.

I think there may even be a procedure about it on this forum.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 01:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
Richardt, this is America.
The titled owner can do with his Airstream what he so desires.
You don't sound happy about that.
"this is America"

What except for me? I post my opinion, did not tell anyone to do or not to do anything.
I erased my post because yours made it look as if it were something it was not.
I could not care less what others do with their stuff. I am neither unhappy nor do I care if someone wants to spray bedliner on their roof, or paint it purple.
The thing that does make me unhappy is that you would read more into my post then was there and post a comment about my comment.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 02:49 PM   #7
The Sh*tt*r's Full!

1970 27' Overlander
lewisville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardt
"this is America"

... nor do I care if someone wants to spray bedliner on their roof, or paint it purple.
Oh good god! PLEASE don't let my wife see this post. She'll want me to paint the trailer purple...

I'm dealing with a trailer that will never be worth much, since I don't want to put the money in it. It's a "use for a couple years till we can afford a nice one" deal. I just want to make sure I get all the leaks, and that the interior will stay a little cooler for my wife's comfort. I've seen this applied to aluminum before and it looks good as long as it's done right, and as long as you use quality materials. It will cover some blemishes and keep me from crawling on top of the trailer to polish it.

That said, I know it's been done to A/S's before... My sole reason for this post was to solicit pictures from forum members that HAVE done it.

Please, please... If you've done it can you provide a pic?
Old 08-04-2004, 04:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardt
"this is America"

What except for me? I post my opinion, did not tell anyone to do or not to do anything.
I erased my post because yours made it look as if it were something it was not.
I could not care less what others do with their stuff. I am neither unhappy nor do I care if someone wants to spray bedliner on their roof, or paint it purple.
The thing that does make me unhappy is that you would read more into my post then was there and post a comment about my comment.

You erased your first post! Too funny.
I should have provided it in quotes in my reply so the evidence would have been preserved.
Some people just take life way too seriously.
May I suggest a vacation?...soon?
Hahaha...this is too funny.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
You erased your first post! Too funny.
I should have provided it in quotes in my reply so the evidence would have been preserved.
Some people just take life way too seriously.
May I suggest a vacation?...soon?
Hahaha...this is too funny.
Evidence?

I find it difficult to answer your posts, I am confused by you, what are your intentions here?
Do you have something worthwile to discuss with me? Or are you trying to attack me or instigate something?
I am here to relax
Find someone else to attempt to push their buttons.
And kindly leave me alone.

Moderators please watch this thread for further signs of mental illness and take appropriate action.

Just to let you know, in my first post I said IMO that I have seen sprayed on bedliner on An Airstream and it looked like dookie and IMO it would devalue it as much as hitting it with a hammer. And that it would be a bear for the next owner to remove.

This was My opinion, for some reason this person has taken it personally and thinks that I am upset at something, they are confused, check all my posts, they are all positive and usally helpfull, I really enjoy being a member here, but this person is taking some of the fun out of it.

Sorry I made you so mad that you feel you must retaliate, that was not my intention.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 07:06 PM   #10
The Sh*tt*r's Full!

1970 27' Overlander
lewisville , Texas
I'm not talking about spray on bed-liner though... I am talking about something that's been used in the RV world for ages... Just asking for PICS of a completed one...
Old 02-03-2009, 10:18 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Valley Center , California
I have a week off from work this month and my goal is to complete the final phase of the polishing job on our ’84 Sovereign.
I’ve been trying to decide what to do about the roof – I really don’t want to polish it. The clear coat is shot and basically nonexistent on about 90% of the roof. And believe it or not, we also have a leak or two.
Ivlamica did a fantastic looking job on his roof seen here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=662446&postcount=17
I have tried my best by using the “search” feature to find some photos and information about what works best for a white reflective roof coating and sealer. I really could not find any information on the Forum convincing enough for me to plunge into such a project.
Dbtolman did not get his wish for pictures in this thread so I thought I would ask again…
Cheers.
BogieGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Sovereign View Post
I have a week off from work this month and my goal is to complete the final phase of the polishing job on our ’84 Sovereign.
I’ve been trying to decide what to do about the roof – I really don’t want to polish it. The clear coat is shot and basically nonexistent on about 90% of the roof. And believe it or not, we also have a leak or two.
Ivlamica did a fantastic looking job on his roof seen here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=662446&postcount=17
I have tried my best by using the “search” feature to find some photos and information about what works best for a white reflective roof coating and sealer. I really could not find any information on the Forum convincing enough for me to plunge into such a project.
Dbtolman did not get his wish for pictures in this thread so I thought I would ask again…
Cheers.

The newer trailers have the middle of the roof painted white, I think the bedliner may be ok also.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #13
Certifiable

. , .
From Airstream.com

Roof Construction
Here we see the aluminum sheets used for the roof assembly. Each sheet has been coated with white pre-baked enamel paint. This paint reduces the trailer's temperature up to seven degrees, requires no maintenance, other than normal cleaning and waxing, and prevents black streaks from forming on the sides of the trailer. The aluminum sheet, along with the other roof assembly pieces, are riveted together and holes for the roof air conditioner, ceiling fans, and bath fans are made.
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #14
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue View Post
Roof Construction
Here we see the aluminum sheets used for the roof assembly. Each sheet has been coated with white pre-baked enamel paint. This paint reduces the trailer's temperature up to seven degrees, requires no maintenance, other than normal cleaning and waxing, and prevents black streaks from forming on the sides of the trailer. The aluminum sheet, along with the other roof assembly pieces, are riveted together and holes for the roof air conditioner, ceiling fans, and bath fans are made.

Hi,

The roof on my 2001 was already white. I used a gallon of the Kool Seal to trim out the edges and seal vents etc. I went with white obviously so it would blend with what airstream already did. I have seen (somewhere ) that somebody did the entire roof with kool seal. It would take several gallons to do the whole roof. I used a stiff paint brush and trowl. Good luck with whatever you decide. Be careful up there for you safety primarily and the safety of your trailer secondly.. lots of soft areas.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Valley Center , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamica View Post
Hi,

The roof on my 2001 was already white. I used a gallon of the Kool Seal to trim out the edges and seal vents etc. I went with white obviously so it would blend with what airstream already did. I have seen (somewhere ) that somebody did the entire roof with kool seal. It would take several gallons to do the whole roof. I used a stiff paint brush and trowl. Good luck with whatever you decide. Be careful up there for you safety primarily and the safety of your trailer secondly.. lots of soft areas.

Vinnie
Thank you, Vinnie. (BYW: "Vinnie" is the name of our trailer!)

I did not realize that you only coated the seams. Since our roof is not already white, I am seriously considering coating our entire center roof section in Kool Seal. Our Soverign is an '84 model so this will not be visable from the ground.

I suspect that some of our leaks are coming from loose rivets on the roof / one leak is definately the bath vent. To me, coating the whole center roof sections makes sense.

It will be a little while before I get started on this project, but when I do I'll upload photo's.

Cheers,

Chris
BogieGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #16
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Good luck and be careful.

There are other products out there to consider as well. If you are going to use the kool seal then make sure its a hot day so it flows well. I noticed as the day went on and it got cooler it was harder to work with and the results were not as good as when the sun was beaming down on the surface. Once you get up there and start working on it have your aleve ready.. my wrist and shoulder were killing me as one arm is working the brush and the other is supporting your body wherever you can find a rib so you dont dent the trailer.. ugh..

regards,

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
Mont St-Hilaire , Quebec
I (as a Tremco sales rep..) will put this Vulkem 801 - Tremco Commercial Sealants & Weatherproofing on my roof!!!! And the color is a light grey (less differance than white) and is applied like a thick paint. Polyurea (bedliner spray on) is a good choice too but more costly and less DIY involved!
HappyCampeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:08 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
where do you get the Vulcum 801 and the costs
thanks
jerrypeterma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
This is the roof of our 75 Argosy. I used snow roof and used it on the Argosy we have now. I like it better than cool seal. Cool seal is thinner.

Marvin
Attached Images

WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Our 1974 Tradewind has an elastomeric coating on it. It was painted on right above the awning rail so it's not very noticeable at first glance. We don't know how long it's been on the roof-all we know is that we hate it! Hate it! It's peeling off in large patches in places and whenever we wash the trailer the white pigment drips down the sides making it very challenging to dry it. We'd love to take it all off, but the coating that isn't peeling seems bound and determined to stay on.

We hope this helps. Good luck with your decision.