Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2006, 05:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Delta , British Columbia
Did Airstream ever offer a sealant on their roof as an option?

I have seen a couple of Airstreams for sale recently that seem to have a roof sealer on their tops. Both sellers seemed to believe that it was "put on in the factory." Did Airstream actually sell a paint on roof sealer as an option? Or are they just as dim as I am?

Rod
72Blazerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Late model Airstreams have prepainted white roofs. It reflects the sun better than the Aluminum color. People in the south and west have been doing it themselves for some time. Most use hard enamel paint. I have heard of some people in the south using the white rubber emulsion that is used on mobile homes. I have never seen a white rubber coating coming from the factory.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
It was...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Blazerod
I have seen a couple of Airstreams for sale recently that seem to have a roof sealer on their tops. Both sellers seemed to believe that it was "put on in the factory." Did Airstream actually sell a paint on roof sealer as an option? Or are they just as dim as I am?

Rod
Rod,
Yes, the top white surface was originally from the factory. In that sense, it was supplied to the factory already white on the surface material used for the roofing.
Also:
It's rumored to be discontinued by the factory in the near future. (if in fact it hasn't already been done.)
For what it's worth, the white surface isn't cooler under the sun than a bare aluminum surface. There a thread around on test that was conducted by Andy of InLandRV and, possibly others testing that theory.
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:27 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
reflective properties?

I suppose a white roof could reflect more solar radiation than an oxidized roof and maybe a highly reflective suface such as a polished roof or clear coated aluminium could have lower thermal properties. Or it could be just cheaper to not supply a painted white roof. I have the painted white roof and can't say either way. ???? It does however show me how dirty the roof can get and it blends the white sealants used to install the fans and ac so it looks clean.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:10 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Delta , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
Rod,
Yes, the top white surface was originally from the factory. In that sense, it was supplied to the factory already white on the surface material used for the roofing.
Did they use this white sealent way back in 1979? I have seen it on a 1979 and a 1977. Was this factory or a "home job"?

Rod
72Blazerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:40 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Blazerod
Did they use this white sealent way back in 1979? I have seen it on a 1979 and a 1977. Was this factory or a "home job"?

Rod
Rod,
That far back it was a home job, or possibly a dealer. IIRC they didn't start the white painted panels from the factory until around 2000 model year...at least that is when I first noticed it. I know that a painted sheet does reflect more heat than the bare panel. They type of paint used comes into to play also. I am not sure what Airstream used. I do know that there are painted metal panels out there that due to the charateristics of the paint are energy star rated for their reflective abilities. Typically they are a Kynar series of paint, not something that they typical RV owner or shop is going to be able to install. It is applied to the material by a specialized painting mill, then the panels are cut and formed.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Yep

Arron,
I agree with your time (2000) frame as well..Whether it was first applied on the 1999 model or 2000 models, I couldn't say..
So, having said that...That should ans the question abt being used back in 79..It was most likely put on by a PO or...dealer..Hard to say..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The factory white roofs started around the time they went to wide bodies. It is a preapplied coating from the aluminum sheet supplier as is the current coating for the clear coating on the rest of the aluminum.

I was involved in the early NASA/JPL tests of instrument coating for the lunar Surveyor and their tests proved white was better than polished bare metal for them. (All the internally generated heat from the instruments{low frequency, intrument temperature} must be radiated by by the instrument coating on the moon and at the same time, the coating must also minimize the absorbsion of high frequency light from the sun. White coating worked best. The coating on the bottom of the instruments was a different coating to reflect the heat coming of the moon's surface.

I have the top of my 77 painted white. My tests indicate it is better since, we did not have the ability to run air conditioning at the International in Rapid city and Huntsville (103- 105F). You do not really see it very much from the normal walk-by viewpoint, since it is only in the middle. My '63 is not painted, since it would show more on the more rounded structure.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote