Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Chicago , Illinois
Can I stand on top of my Airstream?

Weight = 115#, will I dent it? I ask because I recently stood on the roof of a rental car (for a photo) and dented it.

Alicia
abird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
If you don't wear your high heels, and you step only on the rivet line where it is supported, you should be OK.
I guess the rental was not a VOLVO?
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by abird View Post
Weight = 115#, will I dent it? I ask because I recently stood on the roof of a rental car (for a photo) and dented it.

Alicia
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
In case you have a narrow foot and miss a step, better to put a piece of carpet on underside of a square of plywood and using two, move it across top by sliding one at a time, that way you won't have to do it barefoot. No heels on a pair of boat mocs.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
You can have a barn dance if you want. Rivet lines, etc, make no difference. Just avoid it when wet. Do a search on INLAND RV/Andy's comments.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Sault ste Marie , Ontario
I weigh about 185 and I've spent a lot of time on my roof. I would only put feet where frames are,(rivet lines ) and when you put weight on your foot do it gradually. When I have a lot of work to do up there, I have made up a couple of platforms from scrap 2x2's and plywood to spread the weight over a larger surface area. Seems to work fine.....Cheers....Phil.
pgr32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
You can have a barn dance if you want. Rivet lines, etc, make no difference. Just avoid it when wet. Do a search on INLAND RV/Andy's comments.
Inland Andy is right about a lot of things, but not this. You can walk on the roof, but you need to stay on the rivet lines. The first time you step off the rivet lines and the shell oil cans, you will come to your own conclusion.

You can make a simple scaffold out of two ladders and a 2x10 plank. The ladders need a pad where they lean on the shell--htere's not much pressure there, but they will leave scratches. I have a board suspended from the ladder steps with a rope. Each board has a foam pad stapled to it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3323 Scaffold.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	149324

Zep
Old 01-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Ditto on all the above, I know Andy said you can and says they do it at the factory but I'll play chicken and stay on the ribs. I have stepped off the rib/ rivet lines a few times and other than the skin going boing boing no damage was done.

A big no no is the rivet lines on the end caps. There are no ribs in that area and will dent big time.

If you use a ladder to get on the roof the aluminum scratches really easy.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
I generally just lay down or sit on the roof; standing up just seems to be asking a lot from Murphy.

Solar panels were the last big roof project (we're doing the canopy from the side); when we get around to the new riveted & formed aluminum AC shroud (why not?) that will be another one.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
You weigh a little more than half of what I weigh, and I walk on the ribs (rivet lines where the skin of the trailer is riveted to the c - channel). I wear water shoes (soft grip soles and spandex uppers) when I get up there.

I have stepped next to the rib and didn't do any damage, but would not be comfortable stepping center between the ribs.
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #10

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Yes you can walk in the roof. There are some things to consider:

Stay on the rivet lines as others have indicated.

Most of the work I do on our roof involves kneeling or squatting, so I use a two square pieces of plywood to rest my knees and feet on while working.

Access the roof from the side not the ends. The end caps dent easily.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Slippery when wet!

Trust me, you never EVER, ever, ever, ever want to get up there when it's raining or wet. We had a very, very bad experience!
Old 01-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
One way I get on the roof is to place a towel or foam pad between a ladder and the drip channel above the entry door....
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I'll walk all over my 31' Sovereign, but also am afraid of walking anywhere on my 17' Bambi II. I, however, am not as lightweight as our young friend, Alecia! I'd like to know how heavy people who walk on trailers less than 19' are? (not to be nosy) cause I have all the interior skins off my Bambi II and there's not a heck of a lot of support from what I can see!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Putting any weight between the rivit lines makes no sense to me. If it dents, then who you gonna call and what are you going to do. I would just put down a piece of 1/2-3/4" plywood about 30"x30" square and be safe.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Get down from there!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
I'll walk all over my 31' Sovereign, but also am afraid of walking anywhere on my 17' Bambi II. I, however, am not as lightweight as our young friend, Alecia! I'd like to know how heavy people who walk on trailers less than 19' are? (not to be nosy) cause I have all the interior skins off my Bambi II and there's not a heck of a lot of support from what I can see!
Becky, The roof is the same aluminum Sovereign or Bambi. The difference in length won't make it any less able to support your weight. Just fewer ribs front to rear. I weigh in at 285 and have used the seams to support my walking on up there. I used 1/2" plywood to span the rivet lines with which had waffle foam attached to the bottom side for safety and to prevent scratching. That seems to work very well just remember not to step on the end panels or climb up from the ends. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:35 AM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The first time you step off the rivet lines and the shell oil cans, you will come to your own conclusion.

The factory personnel are all over them, Inland RV is all over them. I never gave it a moments thought with our Silver Streak trailers. Where is the evidence? All I see is fear that something may happen and then doesn't.

Are you saying that these two corporations are trying to encourage damaging behaviors in order to line their own pockets for later repairs? [No, you aren't, but, . . . . ] After all their experience, otherwise, outweighs that of any individual around here.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Maybe it was mentioned before, but in addition to the recommendation most people have given to stay on the rivet lines (which is what i also do), It is also strongly suggested to stay off the curved end caps entirely.

When I bought my trailer used, I didn't realize that a previous owner had not done so and the first time I went up on the roof noticed a substantial dent on an end cap - not visible from the ground.

Luckily I was able to pull it out almost perfectly with an automotive body repair suction cup.

Brian.

PS - sounds like good advice people have given about staying off the roof when wet. I never really considered that, but will now!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:48 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Becky--- your Profile Photo is amazing.... What Polish do you use? Or is that the result of a recent WAX job?

Admiring your shine,

Thomas
towagaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAGWAGONTWO View Post
Becky--- your Profile Photo is amazing.... What Polish do you use? Or is that the result of a recent WAX job?

Admiring your shine,

Thomas
Thanks, Thomas. It's the result of about a 150 hour polish job!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I don't want to go on the trailer roof because I don't want to take a chance of denting the skin and I don't want to fall off.

I use a bridge plank laying on a carpeted 2x4, from a scaffold. I'm feeling secure up there, plus there's no chance of damaging the skin.

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote