Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-17-2019, 05:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2015 30' Flying Cloud
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 32
Can anyone tell me what is that strip protecting or what’s its role

I’m trying to figure out what that strip is protecting. Is it dicor sealant ?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0898.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	335923
__________________

rintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:52 PM   #2
Overkill Specialist
 
GMFL's Avatar

 
2014 23' International
Dadeville , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,514
Images: 4
Blog Entries: 36
It is Dicor and it is covering a roof seem. The roof of your Airstream is wider than a single sheet on Aluminum. So there is a second smaller piece to complete the roof.
__________________

__________________
Dept of “OverKill”
GMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:54 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
2015 30' Flying Cloud
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 32
Can anyone tell me what is that strip protecting or what’s its role

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
It is Dicor and it is covering a roof seem. The roof of your Airstream is wider than a single sheet on Aluminum. So there is a second smaller piece to complete the roof.


Thanks. Would you remove the dicor and replace with Adseal?
rintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:03 PM   #4
Overkill Specialist
 
GMFL's Avatar

 
2014 23' International
Dadeville , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,514
Images: 4
Blog Entries: 36
Dicor is fine for that joint. You could also use Alpha-one self leveling sealant.
__________________
Dept of “OverKill”
GMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:56 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
2015 30' Flying Cloud
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
Dicor is fine for that joint. You could also use Alpha-one self leveling sealant.


Thanks for the help I really appreciate it
rintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
A W Warn's Avatar

 
2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by rintintin View Post
I’m trying to figure out what that strip is protecting. Is it dicor sealant ?Attachment 335923
IMO, that is a big gob of caulk that should not be there. (my trailers are 20+ years old and there is none exposed there) When the trailer came from the factory there was no caulking on the surface of that long overlapped metal seam. If it leaks there it would not be normal. If there is actually a leak there it would probably be a loose rivet. A very thin penetrating caulk on the rivets, not the joint, would be better. I've used Acryl R on seams and rivets, but there are other sealants that are thinner and flow more easily that might be better for loose rivets.
http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...oducts_id=1164

If it were me, I would remove all of the caulk along that long line, and not replace it, to see if it actually leaks. (The fans and skylight are more likely leak sources)

If you do decide to replace it, there are better choices than Dicor. My experience has been; Dicor will crack in a year or so due to exposer to UV. (a search will confirm others who have had this same experience) Adseal is a silicone caulk. Since silicone caulk rejects adhesion to itself, any future caulking might be an issue. A urethane caulk with UV resistance would be a better choice, IMO.
__________________
Alan
2014 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L maximum trailering package
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:41 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
2015 30' Flying Cloud
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 32
Ok thanks
rintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:50 PM   #8
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,226
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
IMO, that is a big gob of caulk that should not be there. (my trailers are 20+ years old and there is none exposed there) When the trailer came from the factory there was no caulking on the surface of that long overlapped metal seam. If it leaks there it would not be normal. If there is actually a leak there it would probably be a loose rivet. A very thin penetrating caulk on the rivets, not the joint, would be better. I've used Acryl R on seams and rivets, but there are other sealants that are thinner and flow more easily that might be better for loose rivets.
http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...oducts_id=1164

If it were me, I would remove all of the caulk along that long line, and not replace it, to see if it actually leaks. (The fans and skylight are more likely leak sources)

If you do decide to replace it, there are better choices than Dicor. My experience has been; Dicor will crack in a year or so due to exposer to UV. (a search will confirm others who have had this same experience) Adseal is a silicone caulk. Since silicone caulk rejects adhesion to itself, any future caulking might be an issue. A urethane caulk with UV resistance would be a better choice, IMO.
^
X2

It's there because of laziness plain & simple. 👎
My trailer was far from perfect when delivered, and it did have roof vent leaks, but it looked nothing like that.

This was taken last year after cleaning & re-seal.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1c08.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	335945   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_fb0.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	523.7 KB
ID:	335947  

Attached Images
 
__________________
"We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know."
W. H. Auden


"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel it’s supposed to be done"…..
Amanamus


"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:39 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
2015 30' Flying Cloud
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
^

X2



It's there because of laziness plain & simple.

My trailer was far from perfect when delivered, and it did have roof vent leaks, but it looked nothing like that.



This was taken last year after cleaning & re-seal.



Bob



Great photos
rintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
Keyair's Avatar

 
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,544
Images: 1
Don't know what year that seam is on... but its ugly!
Gonna be a bear to scrape off too.
Me, I'd paint the roof white, with the roof paint of your choice...
Double whammy...

1/ Reflects heat and lowers interior temps by 10 t0 20%...
2/ Seals all rivets, joints, etc.

You could spend a week scraping that off if you feel like it, or just paint over it!
__________________
My name is Steve.... and I am an Alumaholic!
Working in my Garage is like playing TETRIS with Tools!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:56 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
 
2015 30' Flying Cloud
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 32
The roof is actually already painted white. Ill remove the caulk as the weather gets better. Its a 2015 trailer
rintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:11 PM   #12
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,226
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rintintin View Post
Great photos
That was just a cleaning...Scotch Pads, Brakleen and Blech-Wite Tire Cleaner.
Re-seal with CTCCC and 3m 5200 where needed for wide gaps.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
__________________

__________________
"We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know."
W. H. Auden


"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel it’s supposed to be done"…..
Amanamus


"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery charging: role of the converter when there are solar panels? Runaground 2016 - Current International 32 10-30-2017 05:47 AM
help!! can anyone tell me how to convince my hubby! staceydr200 2005 and newer - Bambi all models 23 10-05-2008 10:03 PM
Can anyone tell me.... BIGED52 Off Topic Forum 14 02-17-2007 12:50 PM
To strip or not to strip. That is the question. mjmcwhorte Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings 2 01-16-2006 08:10 AM
Can ANYONE tell me what this is?!?! duke208 Our Community 30 11-11-2004 05:17 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.