Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #1
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Best way to get on top

What is the best way to get on the roof to service anything on the roof? Check for wear tear "stuff". I use my ladder, but I can only get so close, and can not see what I need to see.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:53 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
I think I saw a youtube video through Colonial Airstream with Patrick showing how to get onto the roof.
BetterNowlinLater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
I just went back and looked. It is called How to climb onto the roof of an Airstream. From December 2014. I don't know how to post it on here.
BetterNowlinLater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
For your model, I would wrap the top ends of the ladder with towels or rags. Then lean the ladder against one of the "brows" over a window. The brows, or drip guards are stronger and can distribute the weight. Make sure the bottom of your ladder that touches the ground is secure and climb on up. Have someone spot you from below. Wear shoes with rubber soles or something similar that has a good safe grip. Look for the rivet lines on the roof and stay on those. Don't step in between them. Take your time and you will be fine.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I have a 22 ft Little Giant that is very stable when extended. I lean it against the trailer on big foam pad. I then put the base against the house or some other heavy object so as I gets past the resting point it there is no way it will move. If you don't make sure the base is firm when you get to the top and lean over to step off the weight shift makes the bottom light and it will slide away from the trailer (how do I know this). Be careful and have someone around anytime you are on top in case you need help or the ladder shifts.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
An extension ladder or 1 long enough to lean against awning cover when retracted. Aluminum ladder won't hurt cover as it's stainless or put or something over ladder then lean against. Make sure bottom is secure so won't slip. I put bottom against house and onto awning. This is for awnings that have metal cover, could do same for awnings w/out cover by padding ladder. I have never scratched cover, some times throw blanket over back side of ladder.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 03:13 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Metuchen , New Jersey
Great suggestions! I've always wondered how people did this.
GenXair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 03:13 PM   #8
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Wish me luck. Thank you
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:26 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
I had to replace my antenna yesterday. So I put a "noodle" over the top edge of the ladder to cushion it, made sure the bottom was stable, and then put a patio lounge cushion on the top of the roof and laid across that to reach the antenna. That extends my reach to the center of the roof so now I can clean, inspect, do whatever without having to walk on it.
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Here are the search results for "ladder roof access" using the lower (Google) search function in the Search link above:

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...ess&gsc.page=1

Plenty of good advice in the earlier threads, in addition to that given here already.

Have a good weekend.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:45 AM   #11
Full Timer

2006 28' Safari S/O
Newport , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
What is the best way to get on the roof to service anything on the roof? Check for wear tear "stuff". I use my ladder, but I can only get so close, and can not see what I need to see.
To avoid the chance of denting the roof, I put down a 24" x 36" piece of plywood as a work space. I've glued a rubber mat on the underside to prevent slippage. This creates a secure platform, and eliminates a couple of big worries.
mpawilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You can avoid the chance of falling off the roof with disastrous results by leaning a ladder against the side with padding to protect the trailer or awning surface, if the ladder is tall enough to stand on it and reach the center of the trailer easily.

This will allow you to do inspections and most service without crawling on top. I installed my fan covers easily standing on a ladder (I actually put one on each side for this) and didn't have to crawl off the roof to get another tool or recover a dropped screw.

I think it's a safer way to service the roof components.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
here is the Colonial video

Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
When I'm at home I use different tools for different jobs, a combinations of step ladders, extension ladders, and scaffolds with walk boards. It depends on what I need for the specific job I'm trying to accomplish.

I had an experience while on the road that I needed to get on the roof when a fan lid blew off. To make it worse, it was raining.
So, I'm in the market for some type of collapsible, telescoping, or folding ladder that will fit inside my Airstream, without taking up to much room. I'm trying to sort out what's best.
I'll need a class 1A ladder for my .... stout physique.
Any suggestions?
Old 08-27-2016, 03:41 PM   #15

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
UT , Utah
I drilled additional lock pin holes in my Little Giant ladder so I could remove one of the extensions, bend the shortened section to fit the AS roof angle, attach a well padded piece of plywood to the end of the shortened section so I can bend over the ladder and work on the roof safely and comfortably even with my overweight 72 year old body.
Vic Orvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:14 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
A padded top end of my ladder, with a heavy folded blanket over the awning tube, and a spotter at the bottom of the ladder, leads to one more issue. Your belt buckle on your pants can scratch the heck out of anything you are sliding over. Wearing jogging pants, or a swim suit or something without a buckle or rough button on the front, will help prevent scratching things you don't want to deface. Its not only scratching the aluminum, its scratching the clear coat as well. Good luck.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:20 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
I use the inexpensive foam knee pads they sell at Harbor Freight - they have velcro straps to wrap around the top of the ladder. Easy to take off and save for next time.
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
When I'm at home I use different tools for different jobs, a combinations of step ladders, extension ladders, and scaffolds with walk boards. It depends on what I need for the specific job I'm trying to accomplish.

I had an experience while on the road that I needed to get on the roof when a fan lid blew off. To make it worse, it was raining.
So, I'm in the market for some type of collapsible, telescoping, or folding ladder that will fit inside my Airstream, without taking up to much room. I'm trying to sort out what's best.
I'll need a class 1A ladder for my .... stout physique.
Any suggestions?
This is the one I got.

http://www.ourflyingcloud.com/2016/0...ot-ladder.html
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasr View Post
A padded top end of my ladder, with a heavy folded blanket over the awning tube, and a spotter at the bottom of the ladder, leads to one more issue. Your belt buckle on your pants can scratch the heck out of anything you are sliding over. Wearing jogging pants, or a swim suit or something without a buckle or rough button on the front, will help prevent scratching things you don't want to deface. Its not only scratching the aluminum, its scratching the clear coat as well. Good luck.
Wearing swim suit on sunny day will result in some nasty burns as Aluminum gets very hot. Sweat pants works very well.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:33 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
There are a number of telescoping ladders available. The "Xtend" brand is popular. Walmart and Home Depot both carry them, and Amazon is always a good place to start looking. The advantage of a telescoping ladder is that it is sufficiently compact that it can be carried on trips with very little room taken.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote