Old 07-26-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Beefing up ribs around air conditioner.

Greetings. MarkR and I were going over my trailer and noted the weak structure around the hole for the air conditioner (1958 flying cloud ). We talked about strengthening it up a bit as the roof was sagging a little with the old unit on it. Has anybody done this with success? Pictures? Looking at the rib structure around the hole, it almost seems they went out of their way to make it a weak spot. . .

Old 07-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkroff View Post
Greetings. MarkR and I were going over my trailer and noted the weak structure around the hole for the air conditioner (1958 flying cloud ). We talked about strengthening it up a bit as the roof was sagging a little with the old unit on it. Has anybody done this with success? Pictures? Looking at the rib structure around the hole, it almost seems they went out of their way to make it a weak spot. . .
Simply add 2 horizontal stringers that are attached to two main bows.

Andy

Old 08-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
Similar problem

I've got a similar problem on my '74 Sovereign. I am having some leak problems and looked on the roof the other day. The A/C I think was replaced a couple of years ago by the PO. Whoever installed the new one treated the roof pretty rough. For some reason they did an ugly patch job on the front portion of the old A/C hole and moved the new one back a foot or so. Looking under the rear of the unit, you can see that the roof has been mashed down until it is flat, or maybe even concave. The unit is set to where there is a bow supporting the fore end but nothing on the aft end or on either side. As I said before, the patch they put on the roof really looks like junk.

Another thing: is the condensation from the A/C just supposed to run out a hole in the bottom of the unit onto the roof?

I'm wondering if I should re-mount the unit, adding some support to the aft end and maybe the sides? I'm not sure If I can tackle such a big job while living in it, though.

I'm also in the process right now of removing my antenna mount. I guess it is the original mount. I pulled it off today, removing gunked on silicone over layers of at least two other typed of caulk. It had been leaking, of course. The rivets that were supposed to hold the mount in place were completely cut. Since a good part of it is missing, I'm not sure it will ever be any use to me. I think I am just going to clean it all up and put an aluminum patch over the whole thing.

Any input on all this would be appreciated.

Stephen

Please visit any time!
stephenh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
You can make and install the stringers without removing the roof, so the task is not that intrusive. Removing the flex in the roof takes away the toughest condition the seal faces, so any future installation should be more durable. Wood is also a good insulator, so it prevents the problem with cold air leaking into the gap between the skins, allowing condensation to form which gets wicked up by the pink insulation, then mould, & etc.

There's often a condensate drain tube. If you don't have one installed, putting one in can be a PITA! I put one in on my Tradewind when I had the inner skin off. As an experiment I collected the water for a week, to measure. If there was a way to keep the line sterile/clean, in humid environments, you could easily capture seven or eight gallons of water a day. Ideal for boondocking, if you're in a strange situation where you have AC power but no water.

Pro-tip: make the stringers using the contour of the roof away from the old AC, where the roof's shape has not been damaged.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenh2 View Post
I've got a similar problem on my '74 Sovereign. I am having some leak problems and looked on the roof the other day. The A/C I think was replaced a couple of years ago by the PO. Whoever installed the new one treated the roof pretty rough. For some reason they did an ugly patch job on the front portion of the old A/C hole and moved the new one back a foot or so. Looking under the rear of the unit, you can see that the roof has been mashed down until it is flat, or maybe even concave. The unit is set to where there is a bow supporting the fore end but nothing on the aft end or on either side. As I said before, the patch they put on the roof really looks like junk.

Another thing: is the condensation from the A/C just supposed to run out a hole in the bottom of the unit onto the roof?

I'm wondering if I should re-mount the unit, adding some support to the aft end and maybe the sides? I'm not sure If I can tackle such a big job while living in it, though.

I'm also in the process right now of removing my antenna mount. I guess it is the original mount. I pulled it off today, removing gunked on silicone over layers of at least two other typed of caulk. It had been leaking, of course. The rivets that were supposed to hold the mount in place were completely cut. Since a good part of it is missing, I'm not sure it will ever be any use to me. I think I am just going to clean it all up and put an aluminum patch over the whole thing.

Stephen
All Airstreams, since 1969, have AC drain lines installed during production.

Andy
Old 08-03-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:

Stephen
Hi Stephen,

If your air conditioner is like mine (I just installed), the roof core and even the air conditioner seal can be inspected from the inside by removing the inside cover and removing the 4 bolts that clamp the unit to the roof. Inspections and roof reenforcement can be done from the inside. At least that's how I did mine.

There is 110 volt power into the unit, so I'd want to respect that if I open it up.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
The Gorgeous Pac Northwest , Washington
We just had this same issue discovered on our As and found out from Luke at Luke's Maintenence and Repair the this can be caused by bad axles. Something you may e=want ot check out that way after repairing it doesn't happen again. It made total sense to me. I know Luke has repaired other AS with this issue and we plan on having him repair ours. You may want to try pm-ing him.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
All Airstreams, since 1969, have AC drain lines installed during production.

Andy

Andy,

Where to the drain lines usually run? Just fyi the unit the PO had installed is a DuoTherm BriskAir.

Thanks for the input,
Stephen

Please visit any time!
stephenh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy,

Where to the drain lines usually run? Just fyi the unit the PO had installed is a DuoTherm BriskAir.

Thanks for the input,
Stephen
The drain line is on the road side of the trailer.

You should see it, perhaps shoved aside in the left side of the AC hole.

The other end comes out thru the underbelly behind the left rear wheel.

Andy